Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 03:11 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times

Advertisements

This is a neat site. Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.
It determines the "walkability" of neighborhoods by calculating the distance to lots of different stuff. My neighborhood gets an 86 out of 100, though it should be higher. The site says that the only type of business listed farther than a third of a mile from me is a movie theater, but there's one of those right around the corner. It's no imax, but it's first run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 11:29 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Seattle is pretty walkable.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:15 AM

288 posts, read 1,329,034 times
I Think Seattle, New York, and Parts of Los Angeles................

I walk or ride my bike all the time in Long Beach, CA and other beaches in the area

I walk alot in Seattle (Downtown area)

I walk alot when in New York (Manhattan)

Old 10-28-2007, 01:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,788,420 times
Miami Beach DEFINATELY!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
Yes I found DC very spread out indeed, you could certainly walk, but you might end up taking the Metro instead because of the distances.
When I think walkable cities, I invariably include cities with good rail/subway transportation. If you could/would be willing to live there without a car, then I would call it walkable. In big cities like NYC, Boston, and DC, the subway system is a huge benefit to being able to get around the city without a car. You still do a lot of walking, but the subway cuts out some of the distance. In fact, I think a good subway/rail system is critical for a big city to be considered walkable because it encourages people to leave their cars behind. I also think the point of walkable cities is that you have to interact with people as you go from Point A to Point B, as opposed to wrapping yourself in the cocoon of your vehicle.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:28 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
When I think walkable cities, I invariably include cities with good rail/subway transportation. If you could/would be willing to live there without a car, then I would call it walkable. In big cities like NYC, Boston, and DC, the subway system is a huge benefit to being able to get around the city without a car. You still do a lot of walking, but the subway cuts out some of the distance. In fact, I think a good subway/rail system is critical for a big city to be considered walkable because it encourages people to leave their cars behind. I also think the point of walkable cities is that you have to interact with people as you go from Point A to Point B, as opposed to wrapping yourself in the cocoon of your vehicle.
I agree transit oriented and walkable cities go hand in hand. Its unfortunate though that those going from Point A to Point B by transit and walking always seem to have head phones now, most are not interacting at all.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Yes, although people see 'burbs as green, with fresh air, and think of it as healthier, people living in cities are often healthier by the mere fact that they walk a lot more - not to mention all of the mental stimulation going on.

When I was working I longed for a relocation in a rural area for the peace that it would bring. Now, I realize that the thought came about to counter all of the unhealthy job stress. I am tired of shovelling snow and mowing the lawn and think I will opt for a condo in Seattle, where the exercise will be walks to the market and theater and parks and libraries. Why spend your energy fighting acts of god when you can be learning and with other people?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:21 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
San Francisco is also very walkable (although all of the homeless people make it annoying to walk anywhere). .
I guess it is relative. I just spent a week and a half there 2 weeks ago and I walked all over--Financial District, Union Square, Nob Hill, Chinatown, N Beach, Fisherman's Wharf, Tenderloin, GG park, Richmond, Sunset--and didn't get hit up once! Here in St Paul, I get hit up an a regular basis as I walk from my downtown office to the bus stop to go home...

I know SF has changed a lot, I visit there many times over the years and this is the first time I've >never< been hit up (and it's my longest time there and most walking, too)

Old 10-29-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Shadyside, South Side, and Squirrel Hill and Mt. Lebanon- all in Pittsburgh.
Believe it or not....
Been there, walked there, loved it!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here View Post
Thanks for the insight Ben Around. What neighborhood are you in if you don't mind me asking?

-here

Don't mind at all: Highland Park, just a couple blocks from the Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.