Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:40 AM

152 posts, read 295,888 times

Advertisements

My experience growing up in the South has been extremely different. I don't profess to live in a particularly liberal nor especially pro-Democrat area, but my family is composed of several races, many of my neighbors are composed of biracial couples and I see just as many black men with (attractive) white women as I do any other kind of biracial coupling. Just a trip to the local community park usually reveals several races coexisting, socializing and procreating together regularly.

Although I'm not surprised by your observations, either. Statistics show that despite how far racial equality has come in the last five or six decades there is still a lot of room to improve while society tries to realign and correct for hundreds of years of blatant ethnic and racial oppression nationwide. The scary thing about your experiences, though, is that statistics also show that the South actually leads the rest of the nation in integration. (I'm not going to argue with people about things like "de facto" segregation unless they can prove to me that separate--regardless of how/why the races are separate--is actually equal and has no damaging psychological side effects.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,908,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Yet state legislatures are responsible for implementing rights and protections such as marriage,civil unions, hate crimes laws, and adoption protections (or, the restriction of such). In these instances, the legislatures of the south are woefully behind those of the northeast and significantly lag those of other regions in enacting such policies.

As for cities, here is a lsit of cities and counties with non-discrimination policies against transgendered individuals: Cities and Counties with Non-Discrimination Ordinances that Include Gender Identity | Resources | Human Rights Campaign. Draw whatever conclusions you will from this list.
That paints a vastly different picture than the other link. The Midwest (Great Lakes region, especially) fairs pretty well in the second one, and poorly in the first; the Upper South(east) does alright, too, and so does Florida. New Jersey, on the other hand, doesn't even appear on that second list.

The Deep South registers very poorly on both.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Oh please, stop trying to distort the truth about the South. It's intolerant to the core. How in the hell does a place like Athens have as their US Congressman Paul Broun? Google him and see how crazy he is.
I've been in the South many times for work and pleasure, and in terms of tolerance and diversity it is 50 yrs behind. That stupid tv show The Bible has people in the South hosting parties where they watch the show and then discuss the bible. Just sad really. A bunch of fairy tales and people think it is 100% factual.

Then stay out if the South. Your ignorance is not appreciated.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Then stay out if the South. Your ignorance is not appreciated.
I avoid it if I can. Sometimes I have to go there for work. For pleasure there are far better places as I have learned.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Youre pretty darn intolerant yourself.

I have zero tolerance for politicians injecting religion into a secular society and govt. I despise it. And the South is infamous for it. I have no problem with religious belief, just keep it out of my life and our govt.

Religion is "faith" based, and therefore should not be used to run a civil society. Reason and science should be used.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,497 times
@Tom77Falcons. Since you've already been wrong (twice) on this thread, why not give up before it's too late.

1 - Savannah and Charleston both have gay bars (and many gay-friendly places). They are both developing college towns as well. 2 - Athens, Georgia is a progressive college town. It has a conservative U.S. representative because his district is much more than just Athens. Athens and the Univ. of GA are far more progressive than State College, PA and PA State Univ. (Penn State is known as a more "backward" campus environment if you're comparing the two.) The University of GA gay group in Athens is many decades old. In 1975 (that's 38 years ago), the group's president ran for university student body president. He was smart and well-spoken. He WON. Today about 10% of the UGA freshman class is black. That's a higher percentage than in many colleges in the North. There are many open-minded places in the South and some rather backward ones in the Northeast. And no, Georgia isn't "Atlanta and non-Atlanta."

Old 03-31-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@Tom77Falcons. Since you've already been wrong (twice) on this thread, why not give up before it's too late.

1 - Savannah and Charleston both have gay bars (and many gay-friendly places). They are both developing college towns as well. 2 - Athens, Georgia is a progressive college town. It has a conservative U.S. representative because his district is much more than just Athens. Athens and the Univ. of GA are far more progressive than State College, PA and PA State Univ. (Penn State is known as a more "backward" campus environment if you're comparing the two.) The University of GA gay group in Athens is many decades old. In 1975 (that's 38 years ago), the group's president ran for university student body president. He was smart and well-spoken. He WON. Today about 10% of the UGA freshman class is black. That's a higher percentage than in many colleges in the North. There are many open-minded places in the South and some rather backward ones in the Northeast. And no, Georgia isn't "Atlanta and non-Atlanta."

Conservative that claims evolution is a lie from the pit of hell. You have no idea how much more progressive the Northeast is vs anywhere in the South. I can't wait for Broun to be your Senator. How will you explain that one away, cause you know the crazies down there would vote for him any day over a democratic politician.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Athens and the Univ. of GA are far more progressive than State College, PA and PA State Univ. (Penn State is known as a more "backward" campus environment if you're comparing the two.)
Elaborate, please.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
White women are less open to dating interracially than white men.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM

811 posts, read 1,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Oh please, stop trying to distort the truth about the South. It's intolerant to the core. How in the hell does a place like Athens have as their US Congressman Paul Broun? Google him and see how crazy he is.
I've been in the South many times for work and pleasure, and in terms of tolerance and diversity it is 50 yrs behind. That stupid tv show The Bible has people in the South hosting parties where they watch the show and then discuss the bible. Just sad really. A bunch of fairy tales and people think it is 100% factual.
What makes you think the Bible is a bunch of "fairy tales"? Is it because some evolutionist said so? You do realize that evolution is not verifiable as it is not observational science?

The Bible is 100% reality. God inspired men to write it. It is the Word of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.