Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 PM

40 posts, read 47,784 times

Advertisements

I'm from the east coast, and never been to the west coast (I want to someday) but, from my perspective, it seems like people from there and other western states usually proclaim that they're proud to be a "Californian, Oregonian, Texan etc." while people on the east coast usually just say American. It also seems like people even say that they're Mexican even when they're in America.

I know that they're both vastly different cultures, but I'm just curious, especially with the banning of the American Flag in the one California school (reasons notwithstanding)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:15 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,512,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vatikan View Post
I'm from the east coast, and never been to the west coast (I want to someday) but, from my perspective, it seems like people from there and other western states usually proclaim that they're proud to be a "Californian, Oregonian, Texan etc." while people on the east coast usually just say American. It also seems like people even say that they're Mexican even when they're in America.

I know that they're both vastly different cultures, but I'm just curious, especially with the banning of the American Flag in the one California school (reasons notwithstanding)
The banned t shirts that have the American flag on Cinco de Mayo.

Original question:
No, the West is 100 percent American

Old 03-03-2014, 05:40 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,043,150 times
Quote:

I'm a born and raised Californian and definitely do tend to identify myself as strongly being a "Californian" but I just as strongly consider myself to be "American" as well. I even fly an American flag over my garage at home.

I think you'll find that all over the entire country people tend to identify strongly with their home towns or home states. It's not just a west coast thing. A person from California or Oregon or Texas etc. is just as much an American as a person from Louisiana or Virginia or Maine or Florida or New York etc. Personally, I think the diversity of this country is one of the greatest things about it.

Also, on a side note, news about "the land of fruits and nuts" and the overall liberal nature of the west coast tends to be grossly exaggerated throughout the country. The majority of us are normal people who live no differently than people in the rest of the country. In CA though, we just happen to live our normal lives with better weather. It's the idiot extremist liberals who tend to grab everybody's attention and they are in the minority.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,840,029 times
If the West Coast isn't "really" American then what is it?

Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 PM

776 posts, read 1,674,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I'm a born and raised Californian and definitely do tend to identify myself as strongly being a "Californian" but I just as strongly consider myself to be "American" as well. I even fly an American flag over my garage at home.

I think you'll find that all over the entire country people tend to identify strongly with their home towns or home states. It's not just a west coast thing. A person from California or Oregon or Texas etc. is just as much an American as a person from Louisiana or Virginia or Maine or Florida or New York etc. Personally, I think the diversity of this country is one of the greatest things about it.

Also, on a side note, news about "the land of fruits and nuts" and the overall liberal nature of the west coast tends to be grossly exaggerated throughout the country. The majority of us are normal people who live no differently than people in the rest of the country. In CA though, we just happen to live our normal lives with better weather. It's the idiot extremist liberals who tend to grab everybody's attention and they are in the minority.
I don't know what the OP is talking about. Hopefully not watching too much FOX News to come up with something like that. I've been almost everywhere. Probably Miami and border towns with Mexico IMHO self identify significantly less as so called 'American'. You will also find in the fast growing sunbelt markets the recent transplants tend to identify less with the region and have less loyalty than the slow growth markets of the midwest and northeast.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:23 PM

40 posts, read 47,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
If the West Coast isn't "really" American then what is it?
I never said the west wasn't American I said that it seemed "less" American. In that it shows a lot more state pride than country pride, less patriotism, more liberal minded, speaks more Spanish than English, and forsakes a lot of American traditions.

Like I said, it's just what it appears to me, I could be wrong about a lot of it. And I know that there are at least some patriotic people out west like mstnghu2. I still hope to possibly move out west one day and would just like to know more about it.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 PM

10,756 posts, read 23,840,029 times
Quote:
I never said the west wasn't American I said that it seemed "less" American. In that it shows a lot more state pride than country pride, less patriotism, more liberal minded, speaks more Spanish than English, and forsakes a lot of American traditions.

Like I said, it's just what it appears to me, I could be wrong about a lot of it. And I know that there are at least some patriotic people out west like mstnghu2. I still hope to possibly move out west one day and would just like to know more about it.
On a personal account, I was living in Seattle on September 11, 2001. Seeing the reaction and response immediately following that terrible day made it feel every bit American and patriotic as anywhere else in this country.

On a brighter note 4th of July in Seattle was pretty fantastic.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,703,551 times
No.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
On a personal account, I was living in Seattle on September 11, 2001. Seeing the reaction and response immediately following that terrible day made it feel every bit American and patriotic as anywhere else in this country.

On a brighter note 4th of July in Seattle was pretty fantastic.
It was exactly the same here in the Bay Area. I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday and people out here were very somber and were as much affected by it as everybody throughout the country was.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Well, you have to consider that "American" traditions were all created by immigrants. This country was founded by immigrants. It just so happens that today many immigrants to the U.S. tend to come from different countries than in years past. It stands to reason that they will bring different ways of life than what we've been used to.

I can't speak for the entire west coast, but as far as CA goes, I think it's the epitome of "American". People immigrate here from all over the world to chase the "American Dream" and become successful. I can't imagine what's more American than that. Where I live there are people from all walks of life, and while they hold on to many of their ethnic ways of life, they still attempt to embrace American culture and try to speak English.

Being liberal minded doesn't equate to being un-American. I'm also not sure where you got the idea that more people speak Spanish than English. That's not even close to being true. You need to stop watching FOX News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.