Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:59 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times

Advertisements

Houston and DC for those who consider it the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
It depends on how broad you want your definition of South to be. If you consider the original Confederate states as your contextual "South" then the answer to this question has to be Fairfax County, VA.
If you consider the Original Confederate states Houston then Dallas would still be the answer. Although they were not one of the Original 6, they did join and was a signatory to the Confederate Constitution

South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas—formed a "permanent federal government" (The Confederacy) in Montgomery, Alabama, in March 1861.

Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina—declared their secession and joined the Confederacy after. Texas joined the Confederacy 9 days before the Constitution was formed, Virginia joined two months after it was Signed.

So when people try and act like Texas was not a southern State. BS it joined the Confederacy before freaking North Carolina, Arkansas and Tennessee

Old 04-12-2013, 04:08 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
If you consider the Original Confederate states Houston then Dallas would still be the answer. Although they were not one of the Original 6, they did join and was a signatory to the Confederate Constitution

South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas—formed a "permanent federal government" (The Confederacy) in Montgomery, Alabama, in March 1861.

Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina—declared their secession and joined the Confederacy after. Texas joined the Confederacy 9 days before the Constitution was formed, Virginia joined two months after it was Signed.

So when people try and act like Texas was not a southern State. BS it joined the Confederacy before freaking North Carolina, Arkansas and Tennessee
I've never denied the Southernness of Texas...I agree completely. Texas is a very southern state, imo and I'm a huge fan of Houston....(Astros suck though...sorry.)

But Fairfax County's metro area is more demographically diverse. Check the stats. Houston is certainly bigger therefore having more diveristy based on sheer numbers but per capita the northern va suburbs are a hell of a lot more diverse in terms of various ethnicities.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:33 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
While it may be true that TX was one of the founding members of the CSA, most Texans do not consider themselves Southerners simply because of the pejorative stereotypes associated with Southerners. Most Texans consider themselves to be Texans, as the culture of Texas is distinct from the culture found in the rest of the South.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
I've never denied the Southernness of Texas...I agree completely. Texas is a very southern state, imo and I'm a huge fan of Houston....(Astros suck though...sorry.)

But Fairfax County's metro area is more demographically diverse. Check the stats. Houston is certainly bigger therefore having more diveristy based on sheer numbers but per capita the northern va suburbs are a hell of a lot more diverse in terms of various ethnicities.
Lol, cheap astros shot.

Anyway, i was not questioning the diversity of fairfax county.
I thought what you were implying was that Texas joined the confederacy after Virginia because you said original and lets face it tbe only states in play here are Florida, texas and virginia in terms of diversity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
While it may be true that TX was one of the founding members of the CSA, most Texans do not consider themselves Southerners simply because of the pejorative stereotypes associated with Southerners. Most Texans consider themselves to be Texans, as the culture of Texas is distinct from the culture found in the rest of the South.
How do you know what people think?
I'm gonna think of a number you tell me what it is.
Ok, go....

Old 04-12-2013, 04:43 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Most multi-generational Texans do indeed consider themselves Southeners. But they consider themselves Texans moreso than Southerners. That doesn't mean they aren't Southerners, just a different kind of Southerner. Now the demographics have definitely changed. South Texas (South of Victoria) and the Trans-Pecos area Texans will probably not consider themselves Southern. But the Texas triangle which makes up an overwhelming majority of the state and that doesn't even include Deep East Texas and the Golden Triangle considers themselves Southern.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Houston!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:51 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Houston and DC for those who consider it the South.
I'd say DC is more international than Miami.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:49 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,343 times
Going by the cultural South, Houston. Definitely. Atlanta is also becoming more international, as is Dallas.

Going by the actual, controversial definition of the South, then DC. Fairfax County is not a "city"

Old 04-13-2013, 04:57 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Well if you consider DC to be southern (I don't) then it in my opinion would be more international than Miami because of all of the foreign embassies/foreign news bureaus located there. However after Miami, then I think Houston is the next most international city because of it's huge energy industry and huge immigrant population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.