Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 12:49 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
They didn't say 'I think...' or 'For me...', they stated it as if it was some sort of truth.
So, you've noticed posters doing that on these forums too, huh? lol.

It really boils down to some people really disliking cold winter weather and, in the case of the northeast, the high cost of living. For me, weather doesn't matter much and a few months of cold is not a problem. I also believe that for the most part you get what you pay for. Therefore, I'll take the northeast over any other region in the U.S. as a place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 12:53 PM

785 posts, read 1,882,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, you've noticed posters doing that on these forums too, huh? lol.

It really boils down to some people really disliking cold winter weather. For me, weather doesn't matter much and a few months of cold is not a problem. I'll take the northeast over any other region in the U.S. as a place to live.
Of course people do that all the time on here, but I can't put my finger on why this instance seemed odd. Usually you can tell something's an opinion because of the way it's written even if they don't outright say it is. I could actually just pm that guy and ask him now I've found him.

Can this thread be closed please.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I am constantly amazed by the number of people who live in the south who are genuinely horrified of "the cold" up north, and who consider snowfall a type of disaster. This includes transplants from up north, not just natives.

I grew up in Wisconsin and lived for 15 years in Canada, so I know a little bit about what it like to live in the north. Yes, you learn to dress warn, and yes, you shovel out your car and scrape it off if you need to go somewhere, or even if you just want to. Not just once in a while, but every day for 5 or 6 months, so you get used to it. But that doesn't make it fun or easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Me too. Posts like this exemplify that:

When its cold, I simply put on a coat. I never think of it as a particularly harrowing act of self-defense. I guess the thought of outerwear just flummoxes some folks.
The title of this thread says "harder" to live in the north, not impossible or life threatening. I haven't heard about many retired Florida farmers retiring in North Dakota. I wonder why.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-20-2013 at 01:58 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 02:25 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I grew up in Wisconsin and lived for 15 years in Canada, so I know a little bit about what it like to live in the north. Yes, you learn to dress warn, and yes, you shovel out your car and scrape it off if you need to go somewhere, or even if you just want to. Not just once in a while, but every day for 5 or 6 months, so you get used to it. But that doesn't make it fun or easy.

The title of this thread says "harder" to live in the north, not impossible or life threatening. I haven't heard about many retired Florida farmers retiring in North Dakota. I wonder why.
Because they die of skin cancer before they have a chance to retire?

Old 04-20-2013, 02:40 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
I hate the climate of the southern tier of the US with the very intense scorching sun angle and non European latitude. I'm also not a big fan of southern culture, but I could understand why some would prefer it. I also don't like the general laid back attitude, complacency, and apathy that is very common outside the largest cities in the region. These are just a few reasons why I prefer living in the northern tier of the US. And jtur88 picked an extremely far south locale in Texas to move to when many can move/retire to a more moderate climate/latitude location within the South like Boone, Asheville, Crossville, etc.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:56 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I retired from Texas to Philly. I find it a considerably easier (not harder) to live up here. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to live in that climate "y'all" have down there. And it wasn't just the incessant heat and humidity that drove me to a more hospitable locale. QOL took a quantum leap.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:04 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Ok ok, it may be a weather thing, but is there any reason at all that I'm missing why someone would particularly call Chicago a 'hard place to live'?

I've found the thread, which was 'Census is saying city population growth is ticking up this decade. I don't believe them.' Here's the line:

'Chicago is still Chicago. There is no reason to believe that the cities population free fall has come to an end. It is a difficult place to live in and that will continue to push people out.'

I don't know why, but calling a place 'a difficult place to live' without making reference to his own experience or preference just seems a bit odd if it really is only his opinion.

To clarify, I'm not down on Chicago, or hoping for there to be something terrible about the place, it's the exact opposite really. To me central Chicago looks really awesome, and I just can't see what would lead someone to say that that way. It's highly probable it's just the climate that's the issue for him, but it just seemed odd to me.
I think they were referring to Chicago's crime rates and cost of living, both of which I personally think are overstated. Chicago's crime rate spiked last year but it has, like the rest of the country, experienced a general downward trend and the current rates are far lower than in past decades. Moreover crime is very contained to certain neighborhoods and the likelihood of victimization in a decent area is quite low. For people living in the most dangerous neighborhoods yes Chicago likely is a difficult place to live. But for everyone else, not so much.

Regarding the cost of living, it's a little tougher. Chicago is expensive compared to most places in the Sunbelt. So yes, for someone who is accustomed to a low cost low tax Sunbelt city, Chicago might be a difficult place to live. But compared to (most) East and West Coast cities, it's actually fairly reasonable. So it really depends on where you're coming from both literally and figuratively.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I retired from Texas to Philly. I find it a considerably easier (not harder) to live up here. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to live in that climate "y'all" have down there. And that's just the climate. QOL took a quantum leap.
We visited Florida from Michigan in late February and instead of wanting to move there, it made me really appreciate all of the good qualities that we enjoy back home. Traffic was horrendous and nobody seemed settled or permanent, just like they were either a snowbird or on vacation, which the majority of them probably were.

I've heard it said that the sunbelt states have very transient populations, and I can definitely see where that could be true. I wish I had a dollar for everyone that I have known in my 40-something years who moved to a state like Florida from the North thinking that it would be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and then moved back within months or a few years. and stated that they would never do it again. Nothing against Florida or any other state, but all states have their good and their bad qualities, and what it boils down to is that people downplay the good in the "cold" states and exaggerate the good in the "warm" states. Yet there is much, much more to having a good quality of life than whether or not you have to shovel snow once in a while.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:09 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
We visited Florida from Michigan in late February and instead of wanting to move there, it made me really appreciate all of the good qualities that we enjoy back home. Traffic was horrendous and nobody seemed settled or permanent, just like they were either a snowbird or on vacation, which the majority of them probably were.

I've heard it said that the sunbelt states have very transient populations, and I can definitely see where that could be true. I wish I had a dollar for everyone that I have known in my 40-something years who moved to a state like Florida from the North thinking that it would be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and then moved back within months or a few years. and stated that they would never do it again. Nothing against Florida or any other state, but all states have their good and their bad qualities, and what it boils down to is that people downplay the good in the "cold" states and exaggerate the good in the "warm" states. Yet there is much, much more to having a good quality of life than whether or not you have to shovel snow once in a while.
Yep - I'm a returnee. I made a good living in Texas and made the most of my time there, but once it became possible to live wherever we wanted, we headed back to the promised land.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Yep - I'm a returnee. I made a good living in Texas and made the most of my time there, but once it became possible to live wherever we wanted, we headed back to the promised land.
Well, if by your location you mean that you live in Center City Philadelphia, I can't blame you. What an awesome place to live!

Last edited by canudigit; 04-20-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.