Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

I was in Boston this weekend when something occurred to me: Americans (SWPLs in particular) seem to looooooooove Boston so much because it's arguably the most European city in the country. I would even argue that the closer the connection to England you have (through lineage, education, architecture, etc), the more prestigious something/somewhere is. America obviously has a sentimental attachment to Britain since they were our colonial master many years ago, but some people really embrace all things British (or European) because it's a way of demonstrating status. If you don't believe me, try speaking with a British accent (if you can fake one) and see how deferential people become.

So it's clear to me that Yanks love Brits. Mais nous amons les francais aussi. Even better than speaking with a British accent is dropping some francais right in the middle of some chic store in Georgetown/San Francisco/Midtown. This will give you license to talk down to all of the smug retail workers in major department stores all across this Great Land.

So who do Americans "jock" more?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:46 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Yeah, I don't know who you have been hanging out with, but I don't much care for Boston and I don't care if you have a British accent.

French accents (women) can make me weak in the knees, but it certainly doesn't sound more prestigious. Just sexy.

No one who has actually traveled the world puts any stock in any accent or things that seem "more European."

Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 AM

If you can learn to talk like this, you can walk around this country as a God among the inferior American rejects who couldn't cut it in England.

Apple Store!! - YouTube

Coldplay - Glastonbury 2011 - Interview BBCHD [1080i] - YouTube

Tim Henman Interview - BBC Breakfast - 23rd March 2010 - YouTube

When Idris Elba was DJ Kipling - Friday Night with Jonathan Ross - BBC One - YouTube

Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No one who has actually traveled the world puts any stock in any accent or things that seem "more European."
Oh really? So I suppose Coco Chanel and Burberry would have the same sales in America if they were based out of Baltimore, huh?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Oh really? So I suppose Coco Chanel and Burberry would have the same sales in America if they were based out of Baltimore, huh?
You think it's because it's european? Or because it's a quality product?

I'm not responsible for other people's ignorance. Your argument actually makes no sense.

I buy Chanel because it smells good. NOT because it's French.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I was in Boston this weekend when something occurred to me: Americans (SWPLs in particular) seem to looooooooove Boston so much because it's arguably the most European city in the country. I would even argue that the closer the connection to England you have (through lineage, education, architecture, etc), the more prestigious something/somewhere is. America obviously has a sentimental attachment to Britain since they were our colonial master many years ago, but some people really embrace all things British (or European) because it's a way of demonstrating status. If you don't believe me, try speaking with a British accent (if you can fake one) and see how deferential people become.

So it's clear to me that Yanks love Brits. Mais nous amons les francais aussi. Even better than speaking with a British accent is dropping some francais right in the middle of some chic store in Georgetown/San Francisco/Midtown. This will give you license to talk down to all of the smug retail workers in major department stores all across this Great Land.

So who do Americans "jock" more?
I'm attracted to Boston but ONLY because of the Irish elements.

I also find the fact that the city is built pre-automobile...so has a stronger walkability.

Most Americans aren't really that fond of either the Brits or the French. Personally I've never really liked that 'New England' has 'England' as part of its name. I don't mind the French so much, but I'd think of Quebec, Montreal or New Orleans well before Boston.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Well, count me as someone who "jocks" for the British and the French. The U.S. is in many ways a child of Great Britain. Our government, political, economic, legal and academic system trace its roots to there and has evolved from there. We speak the English language predominantly as well. We also share an underlying heritage and culture with the U.K., France and other western European countries. The U.K. has also been our greatest long-term ally. New York, London and Paris are arguably the top 3 cities in the world.

I am proud of all the ethnic and cultural diversity in the U.S. and that's a great thing. However, the U.S. is still basically a western nation and I like it that way.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-17-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 10-17-2011, 06:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I had an English roommate. He was completely average (or below) in every conceivable category except one: all he had to do was open his mouth and he could bed the most unbelievably attractive women. He claimed America was paradise for British social rejects :-)

Then again, I have had the same experience in Europe as an American. Probably not the accent per se, but the novelty of being American opened a lot of... "doors". ;-)

Old 10-17-2011, 08:15 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I had an English roommate. He was completely average (or below) in every conceivable category except one: all he had to do was open his mouth and he could bed the most unbelievably attractive women. He claimed America was paradise for British social rejects :-)

Then again, I have had the same experience in Europe as an American. Probably not the accent per se, but the novelty of being American opened a lot of... "doors". ;-)
I agree 100%, I received just as much love in Europe as Europeans achieve in the States. I believe more countries jock the US; most dream to move to America and bask in success. Besides Americans I believe it is safe to say most of the worlds population prefer living within the States over Europe.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:39 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
On the French I think this is more of a cultural signifier deal. Liberal/Progressive people or places in the US tend to like the French more than conservatives do. These days conservatives don't necessarily dislike the French, but I don't think they're too enamored with them either. That one may go back a long way before the war as the more Liberal/Progressive types among the Founding Fathers were often more pro-French than the conservative ones. So the French accent/style might play really well in San Francisco or Georgetown while playing less well in Oklahoma City or Jacksonville.

British, or approval of Britain, doesn't seem to have the same kind of splits in terms of politics or culture. Most every American I think does love the British and see British stuff as classy. The main exception I've seen is elderly Irish Catholics, a small minority of them are still a bit hostile to Britain. (Boston, oddly enough considering the OP, I think had IRA supporters and it seems like a Congressional representative from Long Island in New York defended his support of the IRA) It seems plausible there are immigrants to the US from former British colonies, like Kenya or Palestine, who are a bit less enthusiastic too. Otherwise Americans are way more favorable to British than they are to us, so that would fit.

I'm an outlier on this. Although I have an English surname, and am almost of half English ancestry, as a kid I think I felt my only prejudice was toward the English. That's pretty much gone away, but I still imagine the English are not a people I feel a unique or strong affection or connection toward. I was maybe as, or more, interested in the Bhutanese royal wedding as the British one and if I went to Britain I think I'd be more interested in Scotland than England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.