Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 04:40 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,019,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And I also understand advertising shtick. My grandfather was born on a farm where Highland Park is today. Things evolve. That's the city now.
Highland Park has been within the city limits since the middle of the 19th century. It was annexed when the area was still entirely rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 07:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Highland Park has been within the city limits since the middle of the 19th century. It was annexed when the area was still entirely rural.
Well, fine. My grandfather was born in 1876 on a farm there. The family moved shortly thereafter to Beaver County to continue farming.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times
Streetcar suburbs can be urban. South Minneapolis has a large swathe of streetcar suburbia that has densities in the 15,000 to 20,000 ppsm range which is comparable to some of the rowhouse neighborhoods on the east coast. It just takes a lot of apartment buildings and duplexes on each block to get there.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
For me its the lack of brick buildings, idk why but its strange going to other midwesten cities and seeing so many brick buildings, its pretty cool. plus they are politically similar and the hipsters.
I'm confused...You are saying the lack of brick buildings in Minneapolis makes it similar to the Pacific Northwest? Or are you making a different comparison. There's a fair amount of old commercial brick and apartment buildings in the larger Pacific NW cities.

I think the problem with some of these analogies is that people are taking one subset of the population in one city in one region and comparing it to a subset of another city in another region and saying that city is closer to that other entire region altogether. The Pacific Northwest isn't full of hipsters--inner Portland and Seattle are full of hipsters and liberal transplants--but the suburbs and a good deal of the rest of the Northwest are as far from being hip as one could imagine. So the comparison that the young liberal populations in Austin and Minneapolis and Madison make them more like the Pacific Northwest is untrue--it simply makes them similar to Portland and Seattle but not the entire region. Austin is nothing like Spokane or Salem or Greys Harbor. Minneapolis is nothing like Spokane or Coos Bay or Eugene or Vancouver, Washington.

Since Portland is basically a island of urban liberalism surrounded mostly by moderate politically suburbs and more conservative rural areas, you could say that Portland is the anomaly that fits in less with the rest of the Northwest.

Last edited by Deezus; 04-26-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 PM

669 posts, read 915,307 times
San Francisco to me feels almost nothing like the rest of California. I would probably like it significantly better too if wasn't.

Kansas City also gives me the feeling that it should be more to the east though I have never actually been there.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:41 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Austin comes to mind.
Austin is very much Texan.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoWow77007 View Post
Austin would fit well in the west coast, Indy and Columbus feels like a sunbelt city, New Orleans could be in the North East and San Francisco could be some where along the Meditterean.
Austin maybe like Sacramento in a lot of ways, but its nothing like NorCal or SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.