Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,365 times

Advertisements

My partner and I want to relocate to Portland OR or a city where it is more gay, lesbain and trans friendly. I would like to have any suggestions. We have lived here for awhile. I have lived here for ten years. She her whole life but when she was in the Navy. I want to be in a city life and also have the ideal area of dog friendly place and gay and lesbian and trans lifestyle. It is hard not to be able to honest with people here. So any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 09:47 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times
I'm from Oregon and while Portland is ok, I'd say that Eugene might be a much better fit for you.
Eugene has a rather large gay community and a very liberal political leaning.
If I were gay, that's where I would go in Oregon but since I'm not, it's Arizona for me. I like the sunshine.
If you would enjoy a small town setting, check out Yachats. It's very small, percentage wise it has a huge gay population and it's set in an absolutely beautiful setting right on the beach on the central Oregon coast.
Personally, I didn't like Portland. Every street is one way and it always seemed it was going the wrong way, it is somewhat dirty, the road system is in horrible shape but the last straw for me was the weather. Be prepared that anywhere in Oregon west of the Cascades, it's going to rain from roughly early September through late May or June. Sometimes even into July. If it isn't raining, it's going to rain soon. The skies are almost always gloomy and it's very cool. Not really cold most of the time but very cool.
Beautiful area though if you can live with the weather.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:04 PM

861 posts, read 2,192,102 times
Oregon sounds like a great place for you folks.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:31 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,470,137 times
GLBT-friendly and dog-friendly spots are easy enough to find. What you want, in essence, is a college town. But a lot of them, like say, Ashland, OR, Davis, CA, Santa Cruz or Santa Fe, NM would be difficult places to find work, and the cost of living may be quite high. Portland and Eugene are good suggestions if you think you could deal with the winters there (and you might still look a long time for anything other than casual work there). Certainly any place around the Bay Area of CA or WA's Puget Sound would be a good bet.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:40 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I would head to a city with the qualities you're looking for plus a lower cost of living, better job opportunities and where people aren't packing up and moving to left and right (like Portland). Check out cities like Minneapolis or Madison, Wisconsin.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:41 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Atlanta is gay friendly and dog friendly. I constantly see gay people walking their dogs around Piedmont Park and around the Midtown area. You might even like the Virginia Highlands area too.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Depends on what you want.....the most gay friendly cities...well some of them, according to my gay friends would include..San Francisco, Chicago, NYC, Los Angeles, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, etc.

Portland is a great city, but I'm sure people could provide other suggestions if you gave some requirements on living/budget/etc.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogagrl33 View Post
My partner and I want to relocate to Portland OR or a city where it is more gay, lesbian and trans friendly. I would like to have any suggestions. We have lived here for awhile. I have lived here for ten years. She her whole life but when she was in the Navy. I want to be in a city life and also have the ideal area of dog friendly place and gay and lesbian and trans lifestyle. It is hard not to be able to honest with people here. So any suggestions?
Do you mind my asking, "Where is here?" The reason is I live in Portland and I was wanting to make a comparison with Portland and where you are living now.

Portland is definitely GLBT friendly but it is not an easy place to make a living unless you have some specialized skills or know people with whom you can network for jobs. The cost of living is also high and rental vacancy rates very low.

I am not trying to discourage you, it's just that you didn't say much more about your situation and you need to know these things and whether or not they may influence you in your decision to make a relocation move.

If these things will not be an obstacle then I think you will like Portland a lot. If they will be, I am sure there are many places in the US where you will be welcome and will not have to hide who you are.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
If you don't mind smaller cities/college towns, look into Ann Arbor MI, Ithaca NY, Burlington VT and Amherst/Northampton MA, among others that are similar.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:42 PM

42 posts, read 100,118 times
Cambridge, MA is a very gay, dog friendly city. Its very liberal and lots to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.