Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM

854 posts, read 1,481,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I've never seen them in Montana.

I grew up catching them in Ohio.
They're not common but yes, they have been confirmed to exist apparently. You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,394,742 times
Funny that someone would make a thread about fireflies because last night was the first time I've seen fireflies in the New Orleans area.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Wherever there are fireflies, there re going to be mosquitoes aplenty. They re both insects that require a similar wet breeding habitat. Fireflies are technically flying beetles (coleoptera), and there are about 2,000 species of them in the world, so probably dozens of species in the USA. But most are probably rare or of limited range and not likely to be encountered.

Some species of fireflies synchronize their flashing, so all of them present in a habitat will light up at the same time. This occurs at Elkmont, near Gatlinburg Tennessee, and in the Congaree National Park in South Carolina.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-08-2014 at 07:47 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 01:27 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Someone once told that generally, you don't see fireflies (or as we say in my family, "lightning bugs") west of Kansas. I found that to be true. I've seen them in TN, MO, SC, GA and even in Florida (panhandle). They need humidity, lots of moisture/water and woods.
I think that's accurate. I grew up in Kansas City, where there were billions of them. But none here in Denver. I read an article a couple years ago that said there were certain areas of far eastern Colorado out on the plains where you could find them, so about the KS/CO border on east is where they are. Maybe they only live in humidity?

Old 05-08-2014, 01:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Here is what I found from this firefly website: About Firefly Habitats and Where You Can Find Fireflies Living - Firefly.org

"Fireflies love humid, warm environments. In the U.S., almost no species of fireflies are found west of Kansas—although there are also warm and humid areas to the west. Nobody is sure why this is. There are many species of fireflies throughout the world, and the most diversity in species is found in tropical Asia as well as Central and South America."

That's not the answer I was looking for lol! My kids are dying to see fireflies. Maybe we'll have to take a drive east one evening this summer.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:06 PM

27,176 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Do they have them in Florida?
Not that I've seen. Native Floridian here.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:17 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
There are fireflies where I live. They're out the most towards the end of summer, at dusk. I used to catch them when I was a kid and put them in a jar. I always wanted to keep them but every morning after I'd caught them I'd find them dead in the jar. In hindsight I feel bad for killing them but at the time I really didn't realize. I'd put grass and twigs in there so they could feel at home. Oh, youth.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:19 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There are fireflies where I live. They're out the most towards the end of summer, at dusk. I used to catch them when I was a kid and put them in a jar. I always wanted to keep them but every morning after I'd caught them I'd find them dead in the jar. In hindsight I feel bad for killing them but at the time I really didn't realize. I'd put grass and twigs in there so they could feel at home. Oh, youth.
Haha, same here . We also used to keep catterpillers in jars to watch cocoon and bloom.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Haha, same here . We also used to keep catterpillers in jars to watch cocoon and bloom.
I was so mesmerized by lighting bugs I'd want to catch them in jars and watch them all night. Unfortunately, I killed off a good population of them near my house, I presume.

They don't have lightning bugs in Southern California at least, because one time I mentioned them to my Orange County friend in passing and she had no idea what they were. Once I described them, she'd heard of them and had likely seen them on TV or in a movie or something, but they don't have them where she lives. I kind of can't imagine a summer night without them.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:25 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
In early June, they're all over my yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.