Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 AM

5,003 posts, read 9,157,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Well, the reality is that they cause the same amount of damage: http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2...ricanes-Lloyds

The difference being tornadoes can hit anywhere on enormous swaths of the country, whereas hurricanes are quite specific where they generally hit. Meaning if you live on the Gulf Coast, far more damage happens via hurricanes than any specific places in America via tornadoes.
I get your point but I just don`t think that hurricanes are the main reason why the Gulf is not as developed as the east.My belief is that the Gulf south was not as industrialized,the Gulf south relied on shipping. With that being said the Gulf is growing there is no doubt about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Again hurricane damage can be greatly reduced if you prepare for that. There is no structural preparation for tornadoes. They are just too powerful.

Most of the damage from hurricanes come from storm serge; something cities like Houston/Galveston, New Orleans and others have been implementing measures to guard against.

What are you going to do to guard against tornadoes?
Anyway, why are we talking about this. This is something that can be minimized

Old 08-08-2013, 11:18 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Hurricanes only hold us back because we are cheap. The Caribbean gets far, far far more hurricanes than the gulf coast, and that didn't stop it from developing into an area of 50 million people a couple decades ago.

Poorer countries like Haiti use shoddy building materiale, but the other countries are more resistant to hurricanes because of stronger materials and building codes.

Why does the US have to be like Haiti? We are not a 3rd works country, why do I have to have crappy codes like one?

I am from the roofs are built to withstand 200 mph winds. Here it's what? 30mph?

Power lines can be buried.

There are a number of things that we don't do now that wet can do to greatly minimize the effects of hurricanes.

NOLA had already implemented some of these things. Don't think that a hurricane will have the same impact on NOLA that Katrina did.
The Caribbean isn't all that developed and the most developed of them, Barbados, is actually outside the hurricane belt. Natural disasters can be real impediments to growth.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:29 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The Caribbean isn't all that developed and the most developed of them, Barbados, is actually outside the hurricane belt. Natural disasters can be real impediments to growth.
Lmao. Barbados is the most developed? Lmao. PUERTO Rico, Jamaica, Trinidad, etc are more developed than Barbados.

And no. Barbados is NOT OUTSIDE hurricane alley.

Natural disasters CAN impede growth, but it dies not HAVE to.

Port Au Prince gets hit all the time, but it used to be the second richest city in the world after London. Even more on point, NOLA used to be the second richest city in the US after NY.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
I didn't realize my words were being taken so specifically. I'm not 100% sure what is considered gulf coast by heritage and what isn't. To me what is gulf coast is whatever borders the Gulf of Mexico, and by the maps that I look at Tampa lies along the Gulf of Mexico, just as surely as Maine, a major port for the U.S. Navy submarines lies along the Atlantic Coast.

When I mentioned D.C. to Boston I was mentioning the most densely populated and industrialized area of the east coast. San Diego to San Francisco is much like D.C. to Boston, very densely populated area. Of course a ways north of San Fran you have Portland and Seattle, major ports on the west coast that should NOT be ignored.

Admittedly both the west and east coasts have a LOT more coast line than the Gulf Coast does, but neither of them have the same magnitude of oil transports. Just trying to clear things up, my words do not specifically exclude anything north of Boston or south of D.C., just as they don't exclude anything north of San Fran or south east of Pensacola. If it lies on that coastline then it's part of that coast.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I didn't realize my words were being taken so specifically. I'm not 100% sure what is considered gulf coast by heritage and what isn't. To me what is gulf coast is whatever borders the Gulf of Mexico, and by the maps that I look at Tampa lies along the Gulf of Mexico, just as surely as Maine, a major port for the U.S. Navy submarines lies along the Atlantic Coast.

When I mentioned D.C. to Boston I was mentioning the most densely populated and industrialized area of the east coast. San Diego to San Francisco is much like D.C. to Boston, very densely populated area. Of course a ways north of San Fran you have Portland and Seattle, major ports on the west coast that should NOT be ignored.

Admittedly both the west and east coasts have a LOT more coast line than the Gulf Coast does, but neither of them have the same magnitude of oil transports. Just trying to clear things up, my words do not specifically exclude anything north of Boston or south of D.C., just as they don't exclude anything north of San Fran or south east of Pensacola. If it lies on that coastline then it's part of that coast.
I figured that ! Last I checked Tampa was on the Gulf Coast as well it`s not the French/Spanish/Plantation Gulf but it is the 2nd largest metro on the Gulf.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I get your point but I just don`t think that hurricanes are the main reason why the Gulf is not as developed as the east.My belief is that the Gulf south was not as industrialized,the Gulf south relied on shipping. With that being said the Gulf is growing there is no doubt about that.
I already stated that I thought the point was being overstated. I was responding to the fallacy that hurricanes are "less destructive" than tornadoes - they cause the same amount of damage annually, and while the tornado damage is spread out across the country, hurricanes affect only comparatively small land areas. This means the Gulf Coast experiences far more hurricane damage than any one area does tornado damage over the years.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:42 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Savannah isn't considered East Coast by what he is talking about. He is talking Bos-Wash megalopolis and SF-SD megalopolis. Savannah is the Southeast or Deep South.

What are you guys talking about have you looked at a map or how a connected corridor would form?
Quote:
The Op mentioned East, Eest, and Gulf coast but he listed corridors .And last I checked Tampa was on the Gulf Coast.
Quote:
Tampa is a coastal city and Atlanta isn't people just tend to forget that Tampa is a Gulf Coast city. Baldwin County Alabama is growing just as fast as Orleans Parish. And Annie is correct about the Mobile csa being over 600k.By the next census Baton Rouge should be in the 1 million mark and Mobile around 750k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Umm...He's referring to that. I'm sure he's not talking about the entire area from Corpus Christi to the Keys...or Maine to Miami.

[LEFT]The east coast especially, from Washington D.C. to Boston lie tens of millions of people, the west coast from San Francisco to San Diego is also becoming our next Megalopolis.

[/LEFT]
all this talk about tampa becoming part of a grand gulf coast metro area is unrealistic. what will most likely happen is that florida will have it's own metropolis of 50 million people with orlando,tampa,jacksonville, and miami getting connected by high speed rail.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:12 PM

The fact is that Tampa is a Gulf Coast city nothing grand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.