Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,981 times

Advertisements

Most big cities have Hispanic neighborhoods, even in tiny Charlottesville, VA, there is a trailer park where the illegal immigrants live. But I'm wondering where in the U.S. are there entire tracts of 10,000+ people where you can't get by without speaking Spanish.

I know that Wikipedia has a list of cities by Spanish-speaking population:
List of U.S. cities by Spanish-speaking population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But you can't tell from these statistics whether the whole city is a mix of Spanish and English speakers and bilinguals, or whether there are large areas which are Spanish-only.

I'm thinking there are some obvious places: All of Puerto Rico, certain parts of South Florida in and near Miami, some places in and near Los Angeles, and the parts of Texas on the Rio Grande. Where else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,483 times
Miami for sure. I have had a tough time buying a watch with an alarm function on South Beach using English. I HAD to switch to Spanish to tell the sales lady at Burdines (now Macy's) what I wanted.

I also had a lay-over at MIA and wanted to eat a vegetarian pizza. Again, I had to order in Spanish.

While staying at a hotel in South Beach, the manager was trying to call a company so that they could fix the front door. The first company did not have anyone in the office who spoke English. Same with the second. The manager was quite frustrated and angry. Alas, who works in Miami and doesn't speak any Spanish?

It also used to be that East Los Angeles conducted life in Spanish. I am not sure how much it has changed over the years as my experience with living in L.A. was quite a few years ago.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
San Antonio is the biggest city proper i can think of.

Man, it was a pain loving there.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,981 times
All of San Antonio?

Is most of Miami Spanish-speaking, or only parts of it?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
There's a city south of Yuma called San Luis which has clashed with the state of Arizona several times over whether or not city officials need to be fluent in English:

Arizona Candidate Challenged Over English Skills

I haven't spent a great deal of time there, but from the time I have, Spanish is definitely helpful, if not vital.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Miami for sure. I have had a tough time buying a watch with an alarm function on South Beach using English. I HAD to switch to Spanish to tell the sales lady at Burdines (now Macy's) what I wanted.

I also had a lay-over at MIA and wanted to eat a vegetarian pizza. Again, I had to order in Spanish.

While staying at a hotel in South Beach, the manager was trying to call a company so that they could fix the front door. The first company did not have anyone in the office who spoke English. Same with the second. The manager was quite frustrated and angry. Alas, who works in Miami and doesn't speak any Spanish?

It also used to be that East Los Angeles conducted life in Spanish. I am not sure how much it has changed over the years as my experience with living in L.A. was quite a few years ago.
12 years in SouthBeach and I only speak English. I don't have any problems.
I shopped at Burdines (now Macy's), bought watches and ordered pizza.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
When I moved to south Texas, I had hopes that maybe I could practice my Spanish But the Hispanics here don't want Anglos speaking Spanish to them, they want all the English practice they can get. Every once in a while, I encounter someone whose Spanish is not good enough yet, and I have to use Spanish, but that is very rare.

There are a few little agricultural towns of a few hundred people in South Texas where most people cannot speak English, But don't worry, you'll never be in one of those towns, they're pretty far off the beaten track.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:37 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,937,731 times
Parts of Miami
San Antonio
Laredo
Brownsville
El Centro

border towns for the most part. Nearly everywhere else if a person has trouble, theyll go to someone they work with who speaks English. Those border towns in Texas give you no quarter though

Old 05-22-2013, 10:37 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I moved to south Texas, I had hopes that maybe I could practice my Spanish But the Hispanics here don't want Anglos speaking Spanish to them, they want all the English practice they can get. Every once in a while, I encounter someone whose Spanish is not good enough yet, and I have to use Spanish, but that is very rare.
Isn't it true that a lot of the older-school Tejanos (as opposed to recent Mexican immigrants) don't really speak Spanish well anyway? I had a friend who was 5th generation American from El Paso, and he told me his Spanish was so bad he preferred not to speak it at all for fear of embarrassing himself.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,689 times
Los Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.