Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:01 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
I'd say they have to be. A sleeping giant implies that the giant was once awake.
I guess that's a fair point, so I'm okay with that assumption I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 09:13 AM

639 posts, read 820,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
The thread asks for sleeping giants. Charlotte is awake. Also, I don't think it's a giant-not yet at least. It's still got some more growth to do before it can be in the same league as the classic 20th century big cities. Charlotte is certainly a major player right now, but it will earn full respect as a city when the growth spurt is over and the dust has settled and it remains a force to be reckoned with.
Props to Charlotte for making moves and they will continue to progress in my opinion. But they are a NEW CITY so that alone disqualifies them from being a sleeping giant.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:17 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Under that criteria, you can pretty much only come to one conclusion, Detroit.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:00 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Under that criteria, you can pretty much only come to one conclusion, Detroit.
Detroit is not a sleeping giant, it's a dying giant. It will never come back to the level that it was, and will have to shed some mass to survive.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:50 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If all of the projected investment goes through in Buffalo, I think it could come back steadily. It sounds like there has been signs of investment recently. So, we'll see what happens.

Syracuse is like this as well and its location, along with its college presence could help in order for it to be discovered again.

I think that a city like Lansing MI, which is a state capital with a major university in East Lansing, could be like similar areas that are currently popular, if it can do similar things that allowed for those other areas to grow.
I would put Grand Rapids before Lansing.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:53 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Detroit is not a sleeping giant, it's a dying giant. It will never come back to the level that it was, and will have to shed some mass to survive.
Disagree. I'd argue that its key location and its metro's importance keep it relevant and ready for a comeback. Plus, since a lot of it is gone, it is like a clean slate that can be redone and made anew. I bet Detroit will come back one day, and I'm certain that comeback will be gradual, but spectacular.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Props to Charlotte for making moves and they will continue to progress in my opinion. But they are a NEW CITY so that alone disqualifies them from being a sleeping giant.
New city? Surely you jest?

From Wiki: The area that is now Charlotte was settled by people of European descent around 1755, Charlotte, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
New city? Surely you jest?

From Wiki: The area that is now Charlotte was settled by people of European descent around 1755, Charlotte, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's a new important city. In 1950, it couldn't hold a candle to the classic industrial centers of the Midwest and Northeast. It was only around the 1980s that Charlotte really began to come into the spotlight. Charlotte as a political entity may have existed since the mid-18th century, but Charlotte as we know it today hasn't existed until recently-hence, Charlotte is "new" to us.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:10 PM

675 posts, read 644,799 times
I went to Boise in 2012, and got the impression that it was a pretty underrated city. And I do hear about a lot of CA people like myself looking to relocate to the NW. I'm rather fond of Boise.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
I went to Boise in 2012, and got the impression that it was a pretty underrated city. And I do hear about a lot of CA people like myself looking to relocate to the NW. I'm rather fond of Boise.
Well, obviously, Boise doesn't rate, either. It wasn't an industrial super-power in the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.