Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 05:08 PM

121 posts, read 240,383 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have a question about an upcoming move I am making from Los Angeles, CA to Rochester, NY. I am moving for school and leaving at the end of July.

We are shipping our belongings and driving out there (my wife and I).

I have a tentative route planned but am not really sure. Our timeframe is to leave and take seven nights (driving 5-8 hours a day). If we make our last night in Ohio or so we can drive about 5 hours and get in to Rochester during the day to pick up our keys.

Here is a first-draft map I made.

It is a link to google maps Los Angeles, CA to Rochester, NY - Google Maps

Day 1 - Leave LA
Night 1 - Laughlin, NV (definite - meeting a family member for a night)
Day 2 - Grand Canyon & Meteor Crater
Night 2 - Dinner and sleep in Winslow, AZ
Day 3 - Petrified Forrest & drive to NM

(unsure from this point on really)

Night 3 - Night in Sante Fe, NM
Day 4 - Stop in Maxwell Wildlife Refuge and drive to Denver
Night 4 - Night in Denver, CO
Day 5 - Drive to Omaha
Night 5 - Omaha, NE (or Lincoln?)
Day 6 - Drive to Chicago
Night 6 - Chicago, IL
Day 7 - Drive to Cleveland
Night 7 - Cleveland, OH (or other OH)
Day 8 - Drive to Rochester

This route is 15 - 40 - up to Laughlin and back to 40 - in Williams up the 64/180 to Grand Canyon and back down - 40 to Sante Fe - 25 -76 - 80 - 90 - Rochester.

Any thoughts? I am not sure past the Grand Canyon really - we would prefer to see cool national parks and sites in our short time and I would like to stay a night in Chicago or St. Louis (maybe even St. Louis more).

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

-Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM

bump any thoughts?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:33 PM

644 posts, read 1,019,868 times
From Denver I would take I-70 through KC STL Indy Cbus then Cleveland. More cities but no Chicago. Its a tough call if youve never been to Chicago but if you have its a little less boring of a route, I think.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:23 PM

Thanks - I actually have been thinking of a route through STL.

Something more like this. Northridge, Los Angeles, CA to Rochester, NY - Google Maps

Day 1 - Los Angeles, CA to Laughlin, NV

Day 2 - Laughlin, NV through some old Route 66 and GCanyon to Winslow, AZ

Day 3 - Winslow, AZ through Petrified Forrest to Santa Fe, NM

Day 4 - Santa Fe, NM through Garden of the Gods to Colorado Springs, CO

Day 5 - Colorado Springs, CO to Topeka, KS

Day 6 - Topeka, KS to St. Louis, MO

Day 7 - St. Louis, MO to Columbus, OH (just a midpoint I randomly picked between St. Louis and Rochester)

Day 8 - Columbus, OH to Rochester, NY

Thanks for the continued advice!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,013,955 times
I've done the drip in 4 days. You will really doing yourself a favor by keeping the driving down to 4-5 hours a day.

The drive through Kansas is boring, boring and even more boring. Stay on i40 at Albuquerque and get on i44 in OK city, which takes you into St. Louis.

I once took i10 to Las Cruces and then onto US Rte 70 through Alamagordo and Roswell, it's a beautiful drive.

Stop in at the Astronaut Hall of Fame in Alamogordo. Definitely visit some of the UFO museums in Roswell.

There is a small Mexican restaurant on a side street off the main drag near the visitors bureau. Make sure you stop in and get a taste of New Mexican style Mexican Food (its quite a bit different than what they serve in LA)

Pick up i40 again into Amarillo (if you get a chance back track a few miles to Cadillac Ranch - a few miles to the west of Amarillo)

Old 06-14-2013, 12:54 AM

If I stayed in Winslow, I could budget 3 nights to get to St. Louis. As of now I was actually thinking of Santa Fe, Colorado Springs, and Topeka.

If I stuck with the 40 and passed into Albuquerque - where would 3 good nights be to break up the trip to St. Louis?

Something like Albuquerque, Amarillo, and OK City?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.