Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state(s) would you like to live in?
Alabama 9 3.70%
Alaska 11 4.53%
Arizona 23 9.47%
Arkansas 5 2.06%
California 72 29.63%
Colorado 33 13.58%
Connecticut 12 4.94%
Delaware 4 1.65%
Florida 33 13.58%
Georgia 26 10.70%
Hawaii 26 10.70%
Idaho 12 4.94%
Illinois 22 9.05%
Indiana 9 3.70%
Iowa 6 2.47%
Kansas 3 1.23%
Kentucky 12 4.94%
Louisiana 10 4.12%
Maine 21 8.64%
Maryland 12 4.94%
Massachusetts 37 15.23%
Michigan 15 6.17%
Montana 13 5.35%
Nebraska 5 2.06%
Nevada 9 3.70%
New Hampshire 17 7.00%
New Jersey 15 6.17%
New Mexico 14 5.76%
New York 37 15.23%
North Carolina 35 14.40%
North Dakota 3 1.23%
Ohio 15 6.17%
Oklahoma 6 2.47%
Oregon 29 11.93%
Pennsylvania 24 9.88%
Rhode Island 12 4.94%
South Dakota 6 2.47%
South Carolina 20 8.23%
South Dakota 4 1.65%
Tennessee 29 11.93%
Texas 37 15.23%
Utah 17 7.00%
Vermont 17 7.00%
Virginia 30 12.35%
Washington 42 17.28%
West Virginia 7 2.88%
Wisconsin 15 6.17%
Wyoming 9 3.70%
Puerto Rico 8 3.29%
Virgin Islands 8 3.29%
Guam 3 1.23%
Missouri 7 2.88%
Minnesota 8 3.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 03:28 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,828,207 times

Advertisements

Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia are my top three. Moderate, beautiful nature, historic architecture, affordable housing (excl. Nova), as a fan of diners and Americana, they ooze that.

Ideal would be the Philadelphia suburbs like New Hope.

Of the big ones, Illinois, New Jersey, New York all have an allure, but all are so thoroughly mismanaged that I’d never bite the bullet and live there. Texas has grown on me as time has gone by. California went from “meh†to “no friggin way†as a place to live.

West Virginia is a dark horse, but is too right-wing for me (just as IL, NJ, NY are too left-wing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 09:45 AM

5,365 posts, read 5,151,342 times
Interesting looking at my old reply and how my opinions have changed!

For one, remote work wasn't really an option in 2019, it is now (with me being fully remote), and that takes jobs out of the equation thank god! Now you can focus just on what you like, not where the paycheck comes from.

Just got back from a week in Northern Virginia. I can see why people are attracted to the area, and career wise I'd be best off moving there, but I REALLY wouldn't want to live there - because of the culture. It's like the epicenter of workism, the coworkers only talked about work, all the groups I saw at bars and outings were work related, so many stories about wives cheating on husbands and vice versa cause they are never home. It checks off a lot of boxes on paper, but in person that culture just isn't something I'd want to settle down in. Same with Wisconsin, the amount of drinking is a big turn off for me, and that's something you only get to know by visiting...

It's good we're all unique and don't want the same things, but what may be great for one person really isn't what someone else is geared for.

Initially, I had this impression that living in the arid west was some sort of unsustainable lifestyle because of water dependency. After living in the east for 2 years, I've come to the conclusion that it's actually more environmentally friendly to in the arid west. There's so much more natural potential in a temperate forest in the east than an arid basin in the west, and the east has been so chewed up by development, fences, lawns, farms etc that there's only a handful of undisturbed islands left. I'd hope in the future those can expand. Just figuring out water isn't the hardest, and many eastern US cities like Atlanta have the same water problems as cities out west, natural rainfall doesn't really supply much. You need aquifers, rivers, or lakes to really have a surplus.

I really did come to appreciate public land after being east as well where it's just not as prevalent. I've discovered that scenery and weather aren't as important as the ability to quickly get outdoors and just discover things and explore without the crowds. You can always find beauty if you know how to look for it, the important thing is the ease of getting to outdoor rec and actually spending time there.

Exploring the country more, it's amazing how much complaining people do about crowds when 60% of the country is basically void of humans. I refuse to be one of those people griping about growth and crowds when I can do something about it and move somewhere where more people would make the place better and not worse.

So, results of my 2023 favorite states? Missouri for the east and Southern CO / Northern New Mexico for the West. Under the radar, still wild, and social environments that I jived with. Since the family is in COS and I want to be close, Taos is my destination for moving next month.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:52 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,347,115 times
Well, i'm currently in NJ, 30 minutes from the beach....

And i really would want that in any other state I considered. I have visited most of the states on the east coast but my choices would be (if i didn't stay here) either Maine or Washington State. It has to be near the ocean... and i'm leaning towards Maine because the autumn colors are stunning. But i have not yet visited the PNW, and it's on my list....

So 4 seasons, ocean nearby, and colorful fall. And i'm a happy girl!!!

Old 03-02-2023, 08:46 PM

810 posts, read 472,393 times
Connecticut - because it's a relatively "sane" Blue state with a functioning government and less tolerance for dramatics, four seasons, low-key in presentation, and generally well kept historic town centers.

Besides Connecticut, a big fan of Hawai'i besides the costs. I like the deep meaning of aloha and the sense of respect for the land.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:41 PM

4,858 posts, read 457,470 times
I am already living in the State I voted for in the poll: Hawaii.
Why? The climate. Warm, but without the ugly, horrible humidity of the Southeast, back on the Mainland. Also, the scenery. And still, there are libraries, shows, opera, church.

What are the drawbacks? PEOPLE. People suck. But how are you going to avoid PEOPLE? I can't live all alone on some Alaska homestead. Snow, cold? Been there, done that. I've had my FILL of snow and cold. And I've shoveled enough snow for 12 lifetimes. Nope. Never again.

Mother Nature has visited lately to remind us that this is not Paradise, exactly: two weeks of wind and showers. Just when you think it's safe to go out, BAM! The wind drives the rain past you in sheets. But hey, that's ok. You don't have to ever shovel RAIN.

Old 03-03-2023, 04:44 PM

4,858 posts, read 457,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Connecticut - because it's a relatively "sane" Blue state with a functioning government and less tolerance for dramatics, four seasons, low-key in presentation, and generally well kept historic town centers.

Besides Connecticut, a big fan of Hawai'i besides the costs. I like the deep meaning of aloha and the sense of respect for the land.
My favorite fishing hole is in Enfield, Connecticut. I'm in Honolulu now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.