Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:46 PM

151 posts, read 739,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueatari View Post
Agreed, what is with this previous comment about Dallas being "Eastern"? What a hoot. There is a line, probably I-40, with everthing South of this should never be considered "Eastern".
I do agree that Dallas is not Eastern, but I don't agree with the whole south not being eastern. There are many cities south of I-40 that have both an eastern feel, and is located on the east side geographically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 08:10 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
The financial district of San Francisco (which I visited in 2004) looks like downtown Cleveland in photos. Once you start showing the water, though, you know it's not some lake or Atlantic Ocean.

St Louis is an eastern city.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:14 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
When I think of Eastern cities, several things come to mind immediately:

Old
Dense
Row houses
Ghettos
Rudeness
High costs (for everything)

Most of the above does not hold for Pittsburgh.
Old? Yes
Dense? Used to be, not so much now
Row houses? Some
Ghettos? Yes
Rudeness? Not to hear them talk about it on their forum
High costs (for everything)? Among the lowest housing costs in the nation. Nothing there seems to cost more than here in Denver.
interesting...

here's how i see Pittsburgh

Old? Yes, that's something I love about it
Dense? no doubt
row houses? lots
Ghettos? some
Rudeness? Pretty friendly from my experience
High costs? Nothing Compared to DC!

pittsburgh is very, very eastern, although when i think east, i don't think Rude

Old 11-11-2007, 08:19 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The financial district of San Francisco (which I visited in 2004) looks like downtown Cleveland in photos. Once you start showing the water, though, you know it's not some lake or Atlantic Ocean.
mabey its just me, but i don't see it

Cleveland

San Francisco

Old 11-11-2007, 08:29 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
mabey its just me, but i don't see it
You're not seeing it because you are not looking at streetscape photo of the downtown financial district. You WANT to look at water and skyline photos, but this assignment requires other kinds of research.

I think the San Francisco downtown street photos are in the city-data archive.
Looks just like Chicago or Cleveland to me. No, I am NOT talking about Telegraph Hill or the Golden Gate. Financial District! Buildings, streetlights ... looks like any other eastern city to me.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:41 AM

217 posts, read 879,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
interesting...

here's how i see Pittsburgh

Old? Yes, that's something I love about it
Dense? no doubt
row houses? lots
Ghettos? some
Rudeness? Pretty friendly from my experience
High costs? Nothing Compared to DC!

pittsburgh is very, very eastern, although when i think east, i don't think Rude
I don't get that fast paced vibe in Pittsburgh like I do with cities on the east coast (DC, Philly, NYC, Boston). Also it is relatively cheap compared to New England and New York. I think Pittsburgh is more of a Midwestern/Northern Appalachian mixture. But there are alot of northeastern characteristics: old, row houses, dense central city and neighborhoods.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 AM

288 posts, read 1,329,255 times
East coast to me: If you are sensitive don't reply.
Old
dense
fast pace
slums
rood

West coast to me:
New
Spread Out
Laid back
Tract housing / development
Friendly to passive aggressive

Easternmost - Western city - San Francisco

Westernmost - Eastern city - Atlanta

Old 11-12-2007, 07:00 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
If you remove the "midwest" and "great Plains" factors from the discussion, then:

Most western eastern cities = Tulsa & Chicago
Most eastern western cities = Denver & Albuquerque

Old 11-12-2007, 07:04 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monumental1 View Post
East coast to me: If you are sensitive don't reply.
Old
dense
fast pace
slums
rood

West coast to me:
New
Spread Out
Laid back
Tract housing / development
Friendly to passive aggressive

Easternmost - Western city - San Francisco

Westernmost - Eastern city - Atlanta
Rood? Oh, Lord...

Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 AM

266 posts, read 911,561 times
Just to add some comments to the discussion--many people consider Pittsburgh a Midwestern city--the beginning of the Midwest. Not all of the East is expensive--as others pointed out, Pittsburgh is affordable, and there are many affordable small towns in the East. After living in both the East and West, I don't think that the East is more liberal than the West. And though people are probably more generally laid back in the West, I don't think--again talking generally--they are less rude than the East. Just my experience. And ghettos? You'll find those everywhere.

One more comment not exactly related to the discussion: as a former resident of the D.C. area, Atlanta was the one city that reminded me most of D.C. in terms of population makeup, style of housing, vegetation and traffic. I have visited Atlanta many times, and it never struck me as "Western."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.