Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:33 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

If anything, StL is more "Missouri" than KC. KC to me might as well be entirely in Kansas.

I'll also add:

Portland suburbs in Washington: might as well be in Oregon
Disagree with the Vancouver part. A lot of the people living there are from other areas in Washington. You know you are in Washington, not Oregon when there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:44 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,050,257 times
Chicago, it belongs out in the middle of Lake Michigan, under water !

Old 07-18-2013, 09:05 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
It's not right on the border, but Youngstown, Ohio feels like part of Pennsylvania. People there have Pittsburgh accents, and (IIRC) root for the Steelers).

New Bedford/Fall River seem more like Rhode Island cities than part of Massachusetts.

Springfield, Massachusetts feels like Connecticut. Actually, all of Western Mass does, more or less. What people think of as "Massachusetts culture" doesn't really start until Worchester.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:22 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,704 times
Ohio has a lot of "border cities" Ohio doesn't have one feel. The state has different regions.

SE is more like western PA or WV. NE ohio "great lakes", NW ohio more common with Michigan. Western Ohio more like Indiana. and SW ohio more "southern" and near KY.

Central Ohio (columbus) is in the middle the common ground between all.

Due to this Toledo is more like Michigan. But most notable Cincinnati really fits in the least with the whole state. The region is the most conservative and the most southern.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:51 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Disagree with the Vancouver part. A lot of the people living there are from other areas in Washington. You know you are in Washington, not Oregon when there.
And they wouldn't enjoy no state income tax! Haha, I always thought that was one of the appeals of Portland suburbs...no sales tax in Oregon, no income tax in WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's not right on the border, but Youngstown, Ohio feels like part of Pennsylvania. People there have Pittsburgh accents, and (IIRC) root for the Steelers).
My experience with a handful of Youngstown folks is the exact same...Youngstown is strongly connected to Pittsburgh. Of course we're assuming Pittsburgh is representative of "Pennsylvania" when one might wonder if it's not more like "Ohio" lol.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,240,080 times
A lot of Floridians, especially those in South Florida, consider Jacksonville (and other parts of North Florida) to be a part of Georgia.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
A lot of Floridians, especially those in South Florida, consider Jacksonville (and other parts of North Florida) to be a part of Georgia.
Agreed. Coastal Alabama, Mississippi, and all of North Florida share a unique culture different from the rest of their respective states. South Georgia also shares this culture. That entire area could be its own state.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. Coastal Alabama, Mississippi, and all of North Florida share a unique culture different from the rest of their respective states. South Georgia also shares this culture. That entire area could be its own state.
That is an interesting concept that I would love to talk about but that's off topic.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:53 PM

494 posts, read 804,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Toledo feels more like a depressed Michigan city than a steady Ohio city.

Maybe that explains why I've always felt more connected to Michigan. I grew up in a suburb of Toledo and I prefer Michigan. I moved out west almost a decade ago and I always tell people the only thing I miss about Ohio is it's proximity to Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
^^ not sure Wilmington DE is a far fliung exurb at all but interesting none-the-less

Wilmington is along the DE river and not many miles from Philadelphia itself, plus has a string of pretty dense communities in between. Its almost as close as Redwood City would be in SF actually
Wilmington has always been much different from the rest of the state as well and thus more urban, progressive etc unlike the rest of the state further south which is way more conservative. But it is slowly changing further south though thanks to the influx of new residents in Sussex ( resort areas etc ) from the larger metros nearby. Living in DE at the beach i always felt like i was in PA/Philly once i got up into the Wilmington areas as opposed to DE. Ofcourse most of the Delmarva is more conservative etc unlike the big city's to the north and west. Reasons why Marylands eastern shore wanted to succeed from the rest of MD and considered joining DE. Slowly but surely though the whole Delmarva is changing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Keep in mind that I was talking to people who actively moved to Wisconsin, I guess. I spend lots of weekends/extended weekends in the UP and talk to a lot of people, just seems like the bulk would prefer:

1. To be their own state
2. To be part of Wisconsin
3. To be part of Michigan

There is probably a good amount of space between 1 & 2. But let's face it, the UP survives due to the rest of Michigan supporting it. I agree on the point that being independent might force some city to evolve. Marquette is pretty unimpressive, I think, though locals boost it hard. I love the Houghton/Hancock area, though extreme poverty exists in the region, and it's incredibly isolated - Copper Harbor is further from an interstate than any other town in America.

UP would probably would be the answer to a different question on a different (yet similar) thread.
Good luck convincing some of them of that about the rest of Michigan supporting them. But yeah that does seem to be a fair analysis of the UP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Ohio has a lot of "border cities" Ohio doesn't have one feel. The state has different regions.

SE is more like western PA or WV. NE ohio "great lakes", NW ohio more common with Michigan. Western Ohio more like Indiana. and SW ohio more "southern" and near KY.

Central Ohio (columbus) is in the middle the common ground between all.

Due to this Toledo is more like Michigan. But most notable Cincinnati really fits in the least with the whole state. The region is the most conservative and the most southern.
Pretty good description.

When i lived in Mt. Vernon i was told by many locals that alot of eastern Ohio ( south of US 30 and along/east of state highway 13 ) were considered a part of Appalachia? I never argued it because i have never visited E.KY/WV/W.VA etc. Thoughts?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,542 times
Jacksonville, Florida really seems more like Georgia

Miami, Florida is also distinct from the rest of the state and seems like a Latin American city

Although I've never been there El Paso, Texas seems to be more like New Mexico/Mexico than Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.