Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:16 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times

Advertisements

I really enjoy the thread with the photos that show why people love their towns, but I'd also like to see some photos of what neighborhoods REALLY look like.

I'd like to ask people to just grab a camera and take a walk around your neighborhood, taking photos of typical buildings, parks, etc. Maybe we could even pick a random day for everyone to do this (or a random week, to make the project easier). That way, the weather in the shots would be more realistic.

The object is not to take the "Chamber of Commerce" shot, and also not to take a shot of the ugliest thing in your town. The point is to show typical scenery, even if it seems really boring to you.

What do you guys think of this idea? And---- can someone give me the steps I need to take to post a photo? Right now the only way I know how to do it is to create a separate web page and post a URL. One final thought--if you take a lot of photos, please only post 4-5 at a time. I loved all the photos of PA, but those posts with 8-10 photos were too much for my poor (ancient) computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 06:31 AM

146 posts, read 797,374 times
Yes, I think that is a great idea. My friend just got a new camera, so it would be a perfect time for me to go test it out. I actually don't live in Portland anymore, so my shots will sadly not be of those neighborhoods. I just moved to Corvallis, Oregon about a month ago, and this would really give me an opportunity to get out and explore the area. I will take some pictures ASAP -- the weather is actually perfect right now to give people a REAL idea of what Oregon clouds/rain is really like

Old 11-09-2007, 07:15 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,063,650 times
Here are three pics of our village here on the Flathead Reservation.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - our town (broken link)

Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
These arent of one town, but a few where I live in northern Illinois.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...6k-beware.html

Old 11-09-2007, 08:26 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,038 times
Talking Would you believe this is a picture of our neighborhood?

I don't think this is what most people think of when they think of a neighborhood but it is ours and we love it! We moved from CA to MO last year and discovered a whole new definition for "neighborhood". I wish those clouds were always a part of it but alas, they come and they go!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:56 AM

281 posts, read 1,379,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
These arent of one town, but a few where I live in northern Illinois.

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...6k-beware.html
That was some incredible work I assume, taking all these photos. That really gives me a very good impression of how you guys live... well done!

Old 11-09-2007, 08:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
That was some incredible work I assume, taking all these photos. That really gives me a very good impression of how you guys live... well done!
Thanks. I drove around for 3 or so hours, just snapping pics as I drove. I only got to take pics of 4 towns in the area. Those are some of my favorite towns around here. Ill try and get some more pics of the towns as well as others sometime in the near future.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:02 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Gosh,
I can find any normal pictures of my neighborhood...just glamour shots.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,942,767 times
Default Northern Virginia

Keogan Homepage (http://www.keogan.com/loudounva.htm - broken link)

OK, I'm a dud at putting photos on this site. But, here's a link to some shots I took today. The images are small, but I think you can make out a good amount of detail.

Ironically, it's raining today (which is unusual) so the photos aren't completely realistic. But I think they're more helpful than the Chamber of Commerce shots you usually get.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:32 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Gosh,
I can find any normal pictures of my neighborhood...just glamour shots.
You're kidding, right??? I mean, go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Keogan Homepage (http://www.keogan.com/loudounva.htm - broken link)

OK, I'm a dud at putting photos on this site. But, here's a link to some shots I took today. The images are small, but I think you can make out a good amount of detail.

Ironically, it's raining today (which is unusual) so the photos aren't completely realistic. But I think they're more helpful than the Chamber of Commerce shots you usually get.
What a beautiful place, normie! The fall colors are "off the charts", too!!! Yes, they are small but I could see fairly well.

I recommend Webshots - Photo Sharing, Free Wallpaper and Free Screensavers as a great place to upload your photos. They can even be downloaded into a wallpaper/screen saver they provide. It's FREE, too! One of the other things I love is that I can resize photos and they give a link to use for downloading into forums!

By the way, I really enjoyed your photos too, Steve-o! What a beautiful place to live! I especially love all the old homes in some of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.