Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:25 AM

15 posts, read 19,648 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently moved to the UK to get a masters degree in marketing from Leeds University Business School and have been debating on coming from to the US to find work. I consider myself to be a decently qualified individual, with two years professional experience and top of my class grades in the graduate program and a 3.0 in my undergrad.

Anyway, as far as the job market, cost of living and so on, where would you recommend be a place to start looking. Being in the UK, it's very hard to get an interview with a company, so the only real way to get a new start is to move to a city. The wife has eight years experience in retail, so we are hoping she will land a job within a few months to cover a few things until I can get a job. I am from Cleveland originally, and have no desire to go back.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Go where the jobs are. Texas would be a great start. The Austin/San Antonio/Hill Country area is especially lovely. Houston is BOOMING and Dallas/Fort Worth are doing well as well. If you prefer a smaller town, you may want to look at the Tyler/Longview area in northeast Texas, the Woodlands outside of Houston, or some of the smaller towns west of Fort Worth.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:47 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
It's going to be hard to recommend a place solely on job market and cost of living. What are you looking for in a city?

Old 08-19-2013, 02:40 PM

Safety is important. I want to live in an area where I can walk at night and not feel afraid. I lived in the UK, so I like the more laid back lifestyle with a city that I can walk in. I would like to live closer to the city centre, with some good bars, that stock good whisky , good restaurants. Not so concerned with clubs. Climate wise, warmer, but colder weather every now and again is not an issue. I'm used to it. I've always wanted to go to Seattle, but I'm open to many others. Jobs are important and without one lined up, the economy needs to decent in the city. I have around $40,000 saved up.

I was actually looking at Dallas. I have a friend down there who really likes it.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:33 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Safe, walkable cities tend to not be in warm climates. If you can forgo that requirement I think Boston would be an excellent fit for you with it's walkability, relative safety at night, good restaurants/bars and a strong economy with low unemployment.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,464,367 times
The Seattle Area sounds like a match for you! Definitely keep your mind open though. Growing urban environment, Great Summers, Lots of things to do in and around the city (especially if your into scenery and mountains). Have you down any research on the Seattle area of is it just a thought so far? If you dont want to hustle and bustle of the city then the eastside would be great! Look in Bellevue, Washington.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Boston, aside from the Celtics, would be a good place. Seattle seems so lovely with the scenery, the youth population and good overall education. I know both areas are very expensive. The wife might have an offer in San Francisco, but I get chills thinking about $2,500 for anything remotely close to the city.

It's really about where we can find work too. The job market, especially for my degree which is more marketing / marketing research, needs to be strong. I know I already said that, but its probably the most important factor. We live in the UK, so weather is not a huge concern.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury53 View Post
Boston, aside from the Celtics, would be a good place. Seattle seems so lovely with the scenery, the youth population and good overall education. I know both areas are very expensive. The wife might have an offer in San Francisco, but I get chills thinking about $2,500 for anything remotely close to the city.

It's really about where we can find work too. The job market, especially for my degree which is more marketing / marketing research, needs to be strong. I know I already said that, but its probably the most important factor. We live in the UK, so weather is not a huge concern.
Bear in mind cities with a high cost of living also have proportionate salaries, otherwise clearly no one could survive. One doesn't get the sense people are suffering in NYC, Boston, San Francisco and other "terrifyingly expensive" cities so thing logically and don't allow that to influence your decision.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:44 PM

I figured that the salaries would be higher. I guess I look at it by the quality of life I have here in Leeds, and the quality of life I would get for the same money an American large city. I live within five minutes of the city centre of $750-800.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury53 View Post
I figured that the salaries would be higher. I guess I look at it by the quality of life I have here in Leeds, and the quality of life I would get for the same money an American large city. I live within five minutes of the city centre of $750-800.
I wouldn't expect a high quality of life in a large American city paying that kind of rent. If that's proportionate to your expected salary I would start looking at mid-major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.