Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 01:43 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Cities
Jersey City- absolutely fell in love with this place. Newark St, skyline views, newport, brownstones, Liberty state park, hoboken adjacent. Absolutely 10/10. Nightlife was absolutely insane. Going into it, I was expecting maybe a Newark? Idk. But Jersey City blew me away.

Buffalo- I was expecting a declining midwest/rust belt city. Nope. Vibrant, fun, pretty, etc. nice views and cool architecture.

Philadelphia- Grimier and grittier than expected. Was hoping for more vibrancy and more of a New York or Boston aesthetic.

Manhattan- maybe an unpopular opinion, but I found large swaths of Midtown Manhattan to be restaurant deserts and just super talls. My nj friends and I were like wtf on multiple visits and could see why a lot people from NJ dont go into Manhattan a lot. Lower Manhattan is obviously different.

Chicago- Real clean city. So fun and vibrant. Just overall awesome experience and blew away my perception by a freaking mile.

Raleigh- i was surprised at the nightlife of downtown Raleigh… but everything else was sooooo vanilla. The suburbs were bland. Everything looked the same. Was not impressed with a lot of the suburbs. People went crazy over Cary, Apex, Wake Forest etc… but those are just average in most places.

Charlotte- Pleasantly surprised at how busy the South End/Downtown was. Did NOT expect it to be that busy.

States
New Jersey- The stereotype, how much New Yorkers insult this state and its perception from everywhere… you would think this state is like Gary Indiana. Nope. Easily one of the nicest states with organic street layouts, great food, nice people, beautiful countryside, clean beaches, amazing shopping, multiple nightlife destinations, cool walkable towns, etc. it has everything you want and more? What more do you need?? It has it all. Probably my favorite state and I went in, ignorantly, thinking it would be nothing more than a dump.

Arizona- Especially Phoenix area, I did not expect much. I found the streets to be nice, towns to be great, good hiking, lots to do. I left wicked satisfied and with a positive image on Arizona. Also I went in July 2017 when it was 122°. I didnt even find it that bad???

Connecticut- Another state I thought was just a drive through state. Who would have thiught the towns would he super walkable, historic and real nice to visit. Great, no, fantastic food… just another state of 10/10 experiences.

Upstate/Central/Western New York- I thought it would be an extension of VT MA or rural NW CT. Yeah nooo. Its so economically depressed, im not sure how i made it four years there. It has so much potential… and I wish it the best moving forward. But boy, not what I was expecting.

Hudson Valley (Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Catskill) NY- I expected average low density suburbs but I was blown away with how posh/clean/stylish and cultured this area was. I love it. People and food are great. I am so glad to have approached this.

New Hampshire- Way too many big homes surrounded by nothing. I knew it was less dense than MA.. however, I thought it would be a little more lively in the towns. Also, a lot of divey towny bars. Meh. Did not meet expectations bl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 11:03 PM

577 posts, read 561,578 times
El Paso - I was expecting it to be bleak, but in fact it's gorgeous. They have huge mountains right in the city with neighborhoods growing right into the foothills. The landscape looking into Juarez is striking and the Mexican side is clearly visible from the interstate. It's a cool city that has only just begun...enormous potential.

They just need to take some lessons from Scottsdale, Arizona to get it really spruced up and shining, through low, tasteful commercial signage and lush landscaping in all the commercial areas. If they were to emulate Scottsdale's aesthetics, their growth would emulate Scottsdale because they've got the landscape, climate, and character locked in.

Scottsdale, Arizona - I was expecting it to be depressing, concrete sprawl, and that was definitely not the case. The city is nicely planned with lots of lush, desert-style landscaping all along the main roadways and the commercial developments are tastefully designed. It's also quite wealthy and the scenery is so much more beautiful than I expected. When I was there it was 65 degrees and I kind of wanted to move there after experiencing all that.

Chicago - In particular the area just north of downtown, through where the Cubs play, and all the way up to where Northwestern University for me was like being in London. My last visit was around 1990 and I remembered it being more gritty... but no longer. It is clean, walkable, and sophisticated. So many cool old buildings and unimaginably wealthy neighborhoods. The lake is beautiful. It's perfection.

Milwaukee - Downtown is pretty and the lakefront is all green parks. The nicer urban neighborhoods start immediately off the downtown area without having to go through any bad sections. It transitions quickly to suburbs along the lakefront which manage to be urbane and village-like, while also being ultra-safe, tree-lined, and livable, and all right next to a huge lake. If you wanted a Chicago-like atmosphere but in miniature, ultra livable, safe, and easy to get around, Milwaukee is a great choice. My only point of reference had been Laverne and Shirley so I was very pleasantly surprised.

Omaha - It's hilly and pretty, full of historic, tree-lined neighborhoods and has a clean, lively, safe downtown. Since there aren't many suburbs so it's basically one big city. It's quite homogeneous and unusually well planned for a large city, which gives the feeling somehow of being in a city in Germany or one of those nice countries where everything is clean and organized.

Oxford, Ocean Springs, Bay St. Louis and Natchez, Mississippi - Ranked as the nation's best college town, two best coastal towns, and one of the top historical towns in America. I knew this already but most of America doesn't. Also, Mississippi's coastal gulf islands (Horn, Ship, and Cat Islands) are magazine beautiful paradise, only accessible by boat.

Old 06-19-2022, 04:50 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
My wife was living in Franklin TN south of Nashville when we met. I was expecting Appalachia. Williamson County is Teslas, Ferraris, and new construction mansions on estates disguised as plantation homes.

My first trip to Minneapolis 25 or 30 years ago, I was expecting hayseed Midwest out of the movie Fargo. Instead, it felt like a left coast/right coast multicultural city.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:16 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
I'm becoming a big fan of Oklahoma. My last 4-5 trips through the state were mostly on the state numbered routes and gave me a nice "down home" feel. No spectuular scenery, just a rolling green you can drive all day in. And scissor-tail flycatchers on every wire.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:33 PM

1,038 posts, read 680,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Cities
Jersey City- absolutely fell in love with this place. Newark St, skyline views, newport, brownstones, Liberty state park, hoboken adjacent. Absolutely 10/10. Nightlife was absolutely insane. Going into it, I was expecting maybe a Newark? Idk. But Jersey City blew me away.
I agreed that Jersey is an often overlooked gem, but what nightlife are you talking about? i thought all of the good nightlife in that area was in Hoboken.

Quote:
Manhattan- maybe an unpopular opinion, but I found large swaths of Midtown Manhattan to be restaurant deserts and just super talls. My nj friends and I were like wtf on multiple visits and could see why a lot people from NJ dont go into Manhattan a lot. Lower Manhattan is obviously different.
It depends on where you go. When I lived in Queens, I tried to go to Midtown as much as I could, but that wore off after about a month. Still, it's a great place to be during Christmas time. Lower Manhattan is fun and I love the village and uptown in Harlem still has some culture. But the Upper East and West Sides are just plain boring.

Quote:
States
New Jersey- The stereotype, how much New Yorkers insult this state and its perception from everywhere… you would think this state is like Gary Indiana. Nope. Easily one of the nicest states with organic street layouts, great food, nice people, beautiful countryside, clean beaches, amazing shopping, multiple nightlife destinations, cool walkable towns, etc. it has everything you want and more? What more do you need?? It has it all. Probably my favorite state and I went in, ignorantly, thinking it would be nothing more than a dump.
As a native M******* myself, it's natural for me to want to rip on Jersey. But since my father was from there I got to see many different parts to the state. I really like it and there's a lot to do in such a small area.

Quote:
Connecticut- Another state I thought was just a drive through state. Who would have thiught the towns would he super walkable, historic and real nice to visit. Great, no, fantastic food… just another state of 10/10 experiences.
I used to hate CT, but I've grown to appreciate it. North and Central CT are nothing to look at, but the areas along the South coast from NY to RI are pretty nice.

Quote:
Hudson Valley (Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Catskill) NY- I expected average low density suburbs but I was blown away with how posh/clean/stylish and cultured this area was. I love it. People and food are great. I am so glad to have approached this.
I love the villages and town just north of NYC up to Albany. I'd move there if I could.

Quote:
New Hampshire- Way too many big homes surrounded by nothing. I knew it was less dense than MA.. however, I thought it would be a little more lively in the towns. Also, a lot of divey towny bars. Meh. Did not meet expectations bl
Yup. It's kind of a waste of a beautiful landscape.

Other first impressions I've had:

Honolulu - I lived there for a bit and I was surprised at how much racial tension there was.

Queens-I loved living in Queens, but the architecture there is awful. However, I found that when I did live there, I had no reason to go to Manhattan any more. There was plenty of nightlife and shopping in the borough and there was no reason to go anywhere else except to explore.

St. Louis - First and only time I went, I was surprised at how uncomfortable and dangerous it could get if you walked down the wrong street.

Springfield, MO - I realize that it's the center of the bible belt, but I didn't expect to hear a guy preaching in a hippy-style coffee shop. Still seemed like a fun down, but I didn't get to explore that much.

LA - The first time I went as a kid in the late 80s, I was surprised at how many homeless people there were.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:30 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I agreed that Jersey is an often overlooked gem, but what nightlife are you talking about? i thought all of the good nightlife in that area was in Hoboken.

It depends on where you go. When I lived in Queens, I tried to go to Midtown as much as I could, but that wore off after about a month. Still, it's a great place to be during Christmas time. Lower Manhattan is fun and I love the village and uptown in Harlem still has some culture. But the Upper East and West Sides are just plain boring.

As a native M******* myself, it's natural for me to want to rip on Jersey. But since my father was from there I got to see many different parts to the state. I really like it and there's a lot to do in such a small area.

I used to hate CT, but I've grown to appreciate it. North and Central CT are nothing to look at, but the areas along the South coast from NY to RI are pretty nice.

I love the villages and town just north of NYC up to Albany. I'd move there if I could.

Yup. It's kind of a waste of a beautiful landscape.

Other first impressions I've had:

Honolulu - I lived there for a bit and I was surprised at how much racial tension there was.

Queens-I loved living in Queens, but the architecture there is awful. However, I found that when I did live there, I had no reason to go to Manhattan any more. There was plenty of nightlife and shopping in the borough and there was no reason to go anywhere else except to explore.

St. Louis - First and only time I went, I was surprised at how uncomfortable and dangerous it could get if you walked down the wrong street.

Springfield, MO - I realize that it's the center of the bible belt, but I didn't expect to hear a guy preaching in a hippy-style coffee shop. Still seemed like a fun down, but I didn't get to explore that much.

LA - The first time I went as a kid in the late 80s, I was surprised at how many homeless people there were.
In regards to the nightlife comment, Jersey City has recently exploded in nightlife. There are new places like The Ashford, Six26, Barcade and other various rooftop bars and stuff. The venues are soooooo fun and they charge like 7-10 a drink, which is unheard of. The Ashford is my favorite and they have really cheap, authentic food.

Hoboken is great too. But I already knew Hoboken was a dense bar city. Jersey City just compliments that nicely.

Supposedly 10 years ago JC was not good

Lot of M*******s love NJ. Its like home away from home.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:03 PM

809 posts, read 467,948 times
Tucson, Arizona - had no expectations before my visit and walked away super impressed by its friendliness, worldliness (yes, being by the border makes it less provincial), and the friendliness of its residents.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:39 AM

1,038 posts, read 680,680 times
Quote:
In regards to the nightlife comment, Jersey City has recently exploded in nightlife. There are new places like The Ashford, Six26, Barcade and other various rooftop bars and stuff. The venues are soooooo fun and they charge like 7-10 a drink, which is unheard of. The Ashford is my favorite and they have really cheap, authentic food.

Hoboken is great too. But I already knew Hoboken was a dense bar city. Jersey City just compliments that nicely.

Supposedly 10 years ago JC was not good

Lot of M*******s love NJ. Its like home away from home.
Well, the last time I was in JC was probably 10 years ago, so that sounds about right.

My father grew up there so it's a city I've always traveled to and found interesting.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,913 times
Quote:
Buffalo- I was expecting a declining midwest/rust belt city. Nope. Vibrant, fun, pretty, etc. nice views and cool architecture.
Buffalo is a declining rust belt city (but in NY) that is at the same time vibrant, fun, etc. So is Cleveland, so is Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, even Detroit. Decline means low rent, low values, less NIMBYism, more ability to make things happen.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:48 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Raleigh/Durham: With such a large presence of well respected colleges and a fast growing area, I expected the downtown areas to be more vibrant. It's rather sleepy and vanilla around there.
First posted nine years, ago in 2013; my perspective on Raleigh has changed from a recent visit after being away for some years. I like what downtown has grown into. It's had a good amount of urban infill development, and the NC State area has become more linked to downtown and the whole core area felt more vibrant to me this time around. There's great museums downtown that have free entry, I dig the Morgan Street hall, and noticed all sorts of new restaurants, bars, and food markets are there now. Also in 2022 where many downtown cores in the US have declined IMO, Raleigh's downtown is clean, safe, and I didn't see much of any riff raff at all, so I appreciated that. So Raleigh downtown surprised me and I was pleasantly surprised as I really like it now. I use to think it was boring, it's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.