Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

well who said I am a typical Philadelphian...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Nork, NJ and New Ark, DE

Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Only thing that really comes to mind is the non-arrow left on a green light. Common courtesy is to pull into the intersection far enough so at least the car behind you can make a left too when the light turns red. Out-of-towners will just nose in a few feet.

That might be common elsewhere too, as is not observing stand-right, walk-left on escalators. I've turned right on a red light in NYC...a lot <oops, but I seldom drove>.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Nork, NJ and New Ark, DE

Am wondering is it isnt closer to NOerk NJ (the w get either removed or really soft and quick)

Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
For where I live now, if they say "Ore-ee-gahn" or "Will-uh-met" or if the call Couch Street, "Couch" instead or "Cooch"...

For where I used to live and grew up, if they say "I'm going to Frisco" instead of "I'm going to the City"... And if they said "hella"(as in "hella cool" or something along those lines) we knew they weren't from our town and from another part of the state...

Old 08-02-2013, 11:25 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You do realize these exist all over PA and many other states as well?

Maybe inability to understand how to make left turns using a jughandle would be akin to Jersey driving unfamiliarity (or people from Michigan (a sarcastic reference that Jerseygirl would understand before anyone jumps on me))

A general Mid Atlantic one could be how people would say Newark NJ versus Newark DE - they are pronounced differently
I know states around here have EZpass. But these women weren't aware they were driving under an EZpass only system that can read the tag at high speeds. They were from PA, I don't know why they didn't realize. I guess they thought they skipped the toll by going this way, but in actuality they went through the toll without paying. But here they were cursing out NJ on the beach for being cheap and ticketing them when they didn't even pass a toll and I was like um, you went through the set of EZpass only lanes with that big metal thing you drove under. They shut up then.

Jug handles, yes! Gotta love them.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
You can easily tell tourists on the L because they enter the train car and then huddle right inside the door, then when the train is packed and we get to a stop, they never realize they can easily step off the train to let people exit, then get back on. Instead they hold on for dear life acting like its the end of the world as people shove past them.

Another is when tourists will get on an escalator and just stand side by side blocking the entire thing so no one can walk up. Stand right, walk left. It's worst at Merch Mart when I'm trying to hussle up the escalator to the train station and during conventions there are 50 overweight middle aged women who stand all over it gabbing away. Then when you actually walk by they look at you like "well, who does this guy think he is!".

Old 08-02-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
You can easily tell tourists on the L because they enter the train car and then huddle right inside the door, then when the train is packed and we get to a stop, they never realize they can easily step off the train to let people exit, then get back on. Instead they hold on for dear life acting like its the end of the world as people shove past them.

Another is when tourists will get on an escalator and just stand side by side blocking the entire thing so no one can walk up. Stand right, walk left. It's worst at Merch Mart when I'm trying to hussle up the escalator to the train station and during conventions there are 50 overweight middle aged women who stand all over it gabbing away. Then when you actually walk by they look at you like "well, who does this guy think he is!".

This could probably work in just about any city with a subway, seems to be the worst on the Blue line when they have luggage though

Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
It's important to know the idiosyncracies of each city you visit. Otherwise you might end up in a situation like this.

Inglourious Basterds Bar Scene - YouTube

Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 PM

302 posts, read 769,447 times
Anyone who pronounces it as "Salt Saintee Marie" instead of "Soo Saint Marie" has obviously never been here before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.