Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 05:28 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Both of you would be incorrect. The Texas city and the New York street have two different namesakes. The former is named for Sam Houston. His last name is a Scottish patronym derived from the name "Hugh", so the correct pronunciation is "Hugh-sten".
Houston Street is named after William Houstoun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Houston Street is named after William Houstoun.
I know.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:12 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
The thing that stands out about this thread is how many locals are proud of the fact that they mispronounce names.
They're not mis-pronounced ... they're differently pronounced. No one gets to declare that one pronunciation of any name (personal or of a place) is right.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:21 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
They're not mis-pronounced ... they're differently pronounced. No one gets to declare that one pronunciation of any name (personal or of a place) is right.
Not even the culture that created the name?

I'm sorry, but names like "Palestine" and "Ponce de Leon" do have correct pronunciations, whether people want to abide by them or not.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,019 times
Charleston pronunciations:

Beaufort – BYOO • fort

Berkeley -
BURK • lee

Cooper – COO • pur, CUP • puh (our leading local news anchor uses the latter)

Horry – or • ree, o • ree

Legare – le • GREE

Kiawah - KEY
• WAH

Gaillard – gil • YARD

Old 08-11-2013, 08:38 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
If you don't pronounce "Charlotte" as "Shar-LOT" then you are not from Rochester, NY.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
A quick way to generally get an idea of where a person is from in Texas is to listen to what they call the side roads on highways.

Dallas/Fort Worth calls them access roads or service roads.
San Antonio uses just access road.
Austin uses frontage road.
Houston has feeders.
El Paso is apparently gateways.
In Missouri, they're called outer roads.
Michigan, I'm told, uses service drives.
San Francisco doesn't have them at all, so I'm not sure what people would call them here. I always said feeder or access road when I lived in Texas. I do remember all the signs in Houston saying "frontage road," though.

On another note: I once returned a rental car with a flat tire in St. Louis. The agent came out to ask what had happened and I said, "I think I ran over something entering the freeway."

He said, "Freeway? what part of California are you from?"

I was from Texas at the time.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:27 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
In addition to the Houston pronounciation thing, I can always tell when someone isn't from NYC when they ask about the subways by color, as in "Where's the green line?" or "Where's the red line?" Nobody in the city ever does that. We refer to the subways by their letter, number, street they run under, and sometimes by destination. But NEVER by color.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
San Francisco doesn't have them at all, so I'm not sure what people would call them here. I always said feeder or access road when I lived in Texas. I do remember all the signs in Houston saying "frontage road," though.

On another note: I once returned a rental car with a flat tire in St. Louis. The agent came out to ask what had happened and I said, "I think I ran over something entering the freeway."

He said, "Freeway? what part of California are you from?"

I was from Texas at the time.
Yea, Texas officially calls them "frontage roads," which may explain why Austin uses that terminology while the other major cities don't. I'm not sure when and why the split happened.

As for St. Louis - what would a Missourian call them, highways? I'm a native Texan and I would call them highways, but if I heard someone say freeway, I wouldn't think twice about it. Maybe there's enough Californians here to make it an acceptable second term.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
Not even the culture that created the name?

I'm sorry, but names like "Palestine" and "Ponce de Leon" do have correct pronunciations, whether people want to abide by them or not.
It is very common for speakers of a language to change the pronunciation of loan words. Further, isolated regions will often take one common pronunciation and, over time, end up with different ones. In both cases, there is nothing wrong or incorrect. Pronunciation, as with all things related to language, change with time.

Palestine has a correct pronunciation when referring to the middle eastern region, but there is no reason why that word can't have a new pronunciation when referring to a new thing. Same with Ponce de Leon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.