Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:07 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Go to the college you want. Study hard. Make friends. Then get in your car or catch a bus to the nearest mall.

End of story.
Or reverse that last part.

Then get in your car or catch a bus to the nearest college.

I live in a town with a mall. And I drive to college. All though, all the friends I know live in the college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM

Perhaps if I had a list of college towns to look into would help me know if living in a college town is right for me. Minimum of a university 14,000 + students.

Ithaca, NY
Ann Arbor, WI
Santa Barbara, CA
Davis, CA
Berkeley, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
Chico, CA
San Luis Obispo, CA
Corvallis, OR
Iowa City, IA
Athens, GA
Amherst, MA
Burlington, VT
Tempe, AZ

Old 08-12-2013, 06:05 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Perhaps if I had a list of college towns to look into would help me know if living in a college town is right for me. Minimum of a university 14,000 + students.

Ithaca, NY
Ann Arbor, WI
Santa Barbara, CA
Davis, CA
Berkeley, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
Chico, CA
San Luis Obispo, CA
Corvallis, OR
Iowa City, IA
Athens, GA
Amherst, MA
Burlington, VT
Tempe, AZ
You can add East Lansing MI. You have the Meridian Mall in nearby Okemos or could go across town to the Lansing Mall in the West Lansing/Waverly area. CATA is a good bus system too.

Meridian Mall - 517.349.2031

Welcome to Lansing Mall | Lansing Mall

CATA - Capital Area Transportation Authority is the public transportation provider in Lansing, MI

Home | City of East Lansing Michigan

You have this too: Eastwood Towne Center

Also, you could come to Syracuse, which has the 6th biggest mall in the country and the city's East Side has a college town type of feel: Destiny USA - Your all in one shopping, dining and entertainment destination - Mobile Home

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-12-2013 at 06:18 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM

390 posts, read 940,915 times
Yes, it sounds like Boston or Columbus would suit you

Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Aside from the fact that thecity wants to be in college AND near a mall -- which strikes me as a very high-schoolish sort of thing -- I think she is vastly overthinking this. There are malls all over America, and most colleges have one not too far away. Even in Manhattan you can even take a 30 minute subway/PATH ride from Times Square to one of the biggest malls around (Newport in JErsey City).

This may sound harsh, but if OP is more worried about where to shop than what to study, she is probably not really ready for college.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Aside from the fact that thecity wants to be in college AND near a mall -- which strikes me as a very high-schoolish sort of thing -- I think she is vastly overthinking this. There are malls all over America, and most colleges have one not too far away. Even in Manhattan you can even take a 30 minute subway/PATH ride from Times Square to one of the biggest malls around (Newport in JErsey City).

This may sound harsh, but if OP is more worried about where to shop than what to study, she is probably not really ready for college.
First of all, I'm a guy. And second, it's not about the shopping, but a place to feel like I'm still in high school and to hang out with friends at. It's the fact being in a suburban environment is who I am. Seems to me most college towns are pushing away from the suburban environment and as a "progressive" stance for some college students to get away from the life they lived where as I'm holding on to it.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Quote:
First of all, I'm a guy. And second, it's not about the shopping, but a place to feel like I'm still in high school and to hang out with friends at. It's the fact being in a suburban environment is who I am. Seems to me most college towns are pushing away from the suburban environment and as a "progressive" stance for some college students to get away from the life they lived where as I'm holding on to it.

Apologize for mistaking your gender.

But I guess I just don't get it. Why on earth would you want to feel like you're still in high school? Every high school senior I've ever met wants to get the hell OUT of high school and is eager for a new environment, more freedom, and the chance to meet different folks. The ones I know (and many of them grew up in the suburbs or rurual areas where malls are plentiful) have no interest in hanging out at the mall and actually consider it sort of infra dig for a college kid. They may meet up with their high-school buddies at the mall on trips home, vacations, or something like that, but that's all. Away from home, though, they want a bigger world than that. It's why many of the left home in the first place.

Well, to each his own. Hope you find the mall/college combination you want. But do yourself a favor and use college to explore other places, do other things, and stretch yourself. Good luck.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM

97 posts, read 160,143 times
Tucson, AZ. Oh, and screw Tempe

Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:

Ithaca, NY
Ann Arbor, WI
Santa Barbara, CA
Davis, CA
Berkeley, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
Chico, CA
San Luis Obispo, CA
Corvallis, OR
Iowa City, IA
Athens, GA
Amherst, MA
Burlington, VT
Tempe, AZ
I'm sure there are places to buy Levi's and American Eagle t shirts somewhere in each of these cities.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Apologize for mistaking your gender.

But I guess I just don't get it. Why on earth would you want to feel like you're still in high school? Every high school senior I've ever met wants to get the hell OUT of high school and is eager for a new environment, more freedom, and the chance to meet different folks. The ones I know (and many of them grew up in the suburbs or rurual areas where malls are plentiful) have no interest in hanging out at the mall and actually consider it sort of infra dig for a college kid. They may meet up with their high-school buddies at the mall on trips home, vacations, or something like that, but that's all. Away from home, though, they want a bigger world than that. It's why many of the left home in the first place.

Well, to each his own. Hope you find the mall/college combination you want. But do yourself a favor and use college to explore other places, do other things, and stretch yourself. Good luck.
It's a bit more complex than you think. My life wasn't like most kids growing up. I found friends who had rough times in high school like me, so we re-live our high schools days like they should have been when now that we have more cash and less worries than we did in high school. College last 3-6 months for me. Then I went back to living a better high school life.

When dates with a girl are at the mall and going to the beach. Bowling, movies, In N Out, and coffee shops is enough for the friends I made.

Besides in my mind, the suburbs and sorts are safe and peaceful. I haven't branched out to hang out with the kids who moved to the area from out of town. I stick to familiarity.

Perhaps I've said too much and should go back to the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.