Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 01:57 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missvee84 View Post
Mind elaborating on why Houston was the first city? Also, I had a coworker who lived in Denver for a few years and she said she rarely met another Hispanic.
Denver is 32% Hispanic.

Dallas is 42.4% Hispanic.

Houston is 44% Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 02:07 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missvee84 View Post
Philadelphia and DC are interesting choices. I've never considered these smaller cities you mentioned; my only concern is not wanting to go to a city that feels smaller (in population) than what I'm used to.
Philadelphia and DC are interesting choices and they might be good. Neither are dominated by Latino culture to any extent. Philadelphia has a relatively poor Hispanic population--particularly a large Puerto Rican population in North Philly (though there is a sizeable Mexican population as well as a good number of Colombians, Guatemalans, Dominicans, and Cubans). Not everyone is poor, but I do think the population tends to be poorer than the non-Hispanic White average for the city.

DC is notable for its Salvadorian population. Be warned that Mexican food is hard to find in DC (most of the Mexican restaurants are run by people from El Salvador).

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Austin and Philadelphia are less diverse than where shes coming from. I would take those out.

DC may be a good one to add.
Is Philly really that much less diverse than Dallas?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:20 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Is Philly really that much less diverse than Dallas?
In my opinion, it is (remember, Im a statistical guy):

By City:

Philadelphia:

43.4% Black
36.9% White
12.3% Hispanic
6.8% Asian

Dallas:

42.4% Hispanic
28% White
25.1% Black
3.3% Asian

By metro area:

Philadelphia:

64.7% White
20.1% Black
8.1% Hispanic
5.7% Asian

Dallas:

49.6% White
28.1% Hispanic
14.6% Black
6.1% Asian

By city, the difference in diversity isnt massive. But by metro area, I do believe Dallas is quite a bit more diverse than Philadelphia.

Remember also, the OP is looking for a city with a lot of Latinos and a city with a lot of Latino diversity. In those areas, NYC and Miami are by far the front runners. Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago, and (to a much lesser degree) DC are good too.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:38 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:

Remember also, the OP is looking for a city with a lot of Latinos and a city with a lot of Latino diversity.
I don't remember her saying she wanted latino diversity just diversity in general, and a latino population.

How do you know OP isn't Mexican?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I don't remember her saying she wanted latino diversity just diversity in general, and a latino population.

How do you know OP isn't Mexican?
Regardless, my arguement doesnt change a bit. I stand by everything I said in that post.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:19 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
By City:

Philadelphia:

43.4% Black
36.9% White
12.3% Hispanic
6.8% Asian

Dallas:

42.4% Hispanic
28% White
25.1% Black
3.3% Asian

By city, the difference in diversity isnt massive. But by metro area, I do believe Dallas is quite a bit more diverse than Philadelphia.

Remember also, the OP is looking for a city with a lot of Latinos and a city with a lot of Latino diversity. In those areas, NYC and Miami are by far the front runners. Houston, Los Angeles, Chicago, and (to a much lesser degree) DC are good too.
I was referring to just the city itself (not the metro area). You say the difference in diversity isn't massive, but is there a difference. It seems like six of one and a half-dozen of the other.

I concede that Philadelphia does not do well in Latino diversity compared to those cities. But the comparison made was to Dallas.

This won't help the OP, since I don't think Philly is exactly what the OP had in mind.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I concede that Philadelphia does not do well in Latino diversity compared to those cities. But the comparison made was to Dallas.
The Hispanic population of Philly is much smaller than Dallas, but its easier to divide the different Hispanic groups into portions with Philly because the Hispanic population is smaller. That can make the Hispanic population more diverse. Its the same arguement we talked about with LA and Houston in the other thread.

Also, I think its much better to compare metro areas as opposed to just cities. Look at DC. Comparing just the District (especially with regards to Hispanic population) is useless. You have to take into consideration the burbs in Maryland and Virgina. Same with Dallas.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:53 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,706 times
LA is your best bet. It has what you are looking for. It is certainly pricey though, but for a single person, you can easily make it on that salary. No doubt about it.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
LA is your best bet. It has what you are looking for. It is certainly pricey though, but for a single person, you can easily make it on that salary. No doubt about it.
With a greater than 10% unemployment rate (double that on people who have completely given up looking for work) & state income taxes is Los Angeles really worth it these days?

Last edited by Metro Matt; 08-14-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,604 times
This is a helpful link: Hispanic Population in Select U.S. Metropolitan Areas, 2010 | Pew Hispanic Center

You may want to consider LA, Houston, Atlanta and Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.