Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 PM

65 posts, read 96,249 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I have posted most recently in the North and South Carolina forums, as those are the areas that we have targeted now. But, being open-minded people, we are open to more suggestions and areas we haven't yet considered. We would love more input, opinions, and ideas, if possible.

Our situation is that we live in Northwestern New Jersey and can no longer afford this area, or New Jersey in general, due to high taxes and very high cost of living. We would consider Pennsylvania except for the second issue, cold weather and heating bills. We can't stand Northeast winters anymore and spending $2,000 a month for heating fuel.

So right away, you see our first 2/3 major issues. I know we're not unique in this, but we are very eager to find affordable rent, low cost of living, and warm weather.

JOBS. Duh. We would like an area that does not have a terribly high unemployment rate and/or would accommodate our chosen fields. My husband is an ASE Certified Master Automotive Technician with 10 years experience. I work part-time editing/proofreading but have also worked as a legal secretary. I'm an English major, so that can fill a broad range of positions if necessary.

Also important is good schools, specifically elementary since we will be relocating around the time when our son is entering school.

Next important is an outdoor lifestyle-friendly area. We like to hike, fish, go to parks, go to lakes, and generally spend time outdoors with our son.

Finally, we lean left politically. But we are not cool enough to be hipsters. Politically moderate is fine, we would just like to avoid ultra conservative/very red areas.

We're still being very broad at this point, I'm aware so allow me to become more specific:

-We would like to be within 3 hours or less to the ocean. The closer the better but we understand that with coastal living comes higher prices, we weren't born yesterday.
-We have no preference regarding dry heat v. humidity, just want WARMTH PLEASE! and relatively little to no snow- yuck.
-We have no preference for small city vs. suburban vs. rural setting. Just would like to avoid big city living.
-We don't care about walkability of downtown and things like that- would be nice but don't really care one way or another.
-We could do desert if everything else was in place, but we'd like some green and trees if possible.

I know these things have been gone over a lot on these forums, but perhaps you could help us by thinking of some areas we have not.

Any help/insight/opinions/whatever would be much appreciated!!! If you love your town, why? If you think we'd be suited to awesomeville, usa, why?

Also, we are quite aware that utopia does not exist . We're just trying to find a place that we can afford to make a better life.

THANK YOU very much in advance for any and all responses!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 06:11 AM

6 posts, read 8,251 times
Carrboro, NC. Not a bad drive to the Outer Banks. Walkable small-town downtown. Very cheap rent.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Check out Columbia SC, specifically the Forest Acres/Trenholm Park section on the Northeast side. It's a nice, low cost area with excellent elementary schools and a progressive vibe in Columbia generally despite much of South Carolina's reputation to the contrary. This area of the city is a recent recipient of both a new Whole Foods as well as Trader Joe's which should give an idea of demographic living there. It's an easy 30 minute drive to beautiful Lake Murray, two hours to the NC mountains and two hours to the coast/beaches. Columbia is the state capital and home to the University of South Carolina which gives it a fairly vibrant economy in terms of skilled jobs.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM

tangential: thank you for your suggestion! We have looked at Carrboro, but find that rent prices are a little higher than we thought. But it's an area we're considering!

kyle19125: thank you very much for your suggestion! That was a place on our short list as well. It sounds fantastic. It looks very "city" to me, but then again, being from NJ my only frame of reference is New York City, which I'm sure is waaaay off the mark Thank you especially for the specific neighborhood names!

Old 09-09-2013, 01:31 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJD27 View Post
tangential: thank you for your suggestion! We have looked at Carrboro, but find that rent prices are a little higher than we thought. But it's an area we're considering!

kyle19125: thank you very much for your suggestion! That was a place on our short list as well. It sounds fantastic. It looks very "city" to me, but then again, being from NJ my only frame of reference is New York City, which I'm sure is waaaay off the mark Thank you especially for the specific neighborhood names!
check out some of the towns in GA or any town near a major university. You will get a certain liberal leaning population, usually good schools and the unemployment rate would be acceptable. The problem will, most likely be low cost of living. I would suggest parts of AR or TN, but they might be too conservative for you.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:14 PM

nmnita: THank you for your suggestions. Are there any specific towns in Georgia you can suggest? That is one of the states I am not as familiar with- some have suggested Athens and Augusta- perhaps Savannah would be too expensive for us? Do you know anything about these areas, by chance? Do you have any other specific areas you would suggest? Thank you for your input!

Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,999 times
North Carolina is a mess right now. The current governor is enacting all kinds of extremely conservative legislation. Some of the bigger cities in this state might be a little more left-leaning, but the state as a whole is really struggling.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:07 PM

happeemommee: Thank you for your opinion- do you have any suggestions other than North Carolina, then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.