Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:47 AM

34 posts, read 39,718 times

Advertisements

A little insight into my dilemma.

Picture me, 30 y/o sngle white male, no kids, no baggage. Spent the first 4 years of life in Los Angeles county, the next 26 in central fl (Lake county/Orlando area). You hate the beach, not a big fan on the lakes, humid days, and hot nights make you cringe. You are over the chain lifestyle; (eating, living, shopping, etc.) You want to move to a place that has low summer temps, cold winters, near snow but not covered in it. You want culture, and diversity, but low crime. A thriving nightlife (not because you paint the town, but if you decide to you have the option). You are looking for a place that offers a good dating scene.

So that is my dilemma. Needless to say I am over florida, and the east coast all together. I would love to move to California, but being a realist it is not feesible.

I chose 4 cities, and threw a dart. Being that I have terrible aim, I could never land a decision.

In no particular order:
1.) Seattle, WA
2.) Portland, OR
3.) Salt Lake City, UT
4.) Denver, CO

Or is there something else out there that I have never considered?

I am lucky to be in an industry that I can live literally anywhere in the country and find a job, as long as one is available to be found.

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Last edited by BrandonRyan; 09-12-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM

47 posts, read 91,719 times
All 4 are great cities. But my vote is for Portland or Denver.

I only exclude Seattle because of the weather. Hinders enjoying the outdoors so much (unless you adopt the attitude that there is no bad weather, just bad clothing/gear).

I would not choose SLC because of the predominant attitudes toward nightlife. I don't know how a single person would fare there. Even one that doesn't "party," but just likes to have fun. Social drinking is frowned upon. Even coffee can be frowned upon. I have never lived there, though - single or married. Perhaps I am mistaken and you could make plenty of friends and enjoy dating.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Chicago or Minneapolis?

Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 AM

I have friends whom live, or have lived in Chicago. I tell them what I am looking for and they say to stay clear. Weather purposes mainly.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLLM123 View Post

I would not choose SLC because of the predominant attitudes toward nightlife. I don't know how a single person would fare there. Even one that doesn't "party," but just likes to have fun. Social drinking is frowned upon.
I know there has to be plenty of bars though. I think I would die if social drinking was frowned upon.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM

66 posts, read 101,338 times
Good luck with your search; I don't have any advice. I just wanted to say that I got the inkling to do the same thing (get some darts and a map) a few weeks ago but it was only for vacation purposes as I want to visit a random place that I'd never visited before.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyNMint View Post
Good luck with your search; I don't have any advice. I just wanted to say that I got the inkling to do the same thing (get some darts and a map) a few weeks ago but it was only for vacation purposes as I want to visit a random place that I'd never visited before.
Thank you, i somehow landed a dart in Nova Scotia, maybe a US map next time instead of a World Map. Nonetheless i looked into Nova Scotia.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonRyan View Post
Thank you, i somehow landed a dart in Nova Scotia, maybe a US map next time instead of a World Map. Nonetheless i looked into Nova Scotia.
Lol! I hear that Prince Edward Island is a nice place and I plan to visit one day. I ended up using a digital dart and online map but it took a few searches on the internet to find the right one. The first map I used picked a place somewhere in Greenland (and I wasn't even sure if people lived there but turns out there is a very small population). I finally found a map with digital dart system and once I figured out how to find the city based on latitude and longitude from a reputable site (it was pain because the first few tries I would look up the latitude and longitude and nothing came up as a result), it landed on Nevada City, California. Looks like my next trip will include that little city/town.

Last edited by HoneyNMint; 09-12-2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM

47 posts, read 91,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyNMint View Post

it landed on Nevada City, California. Looks like my next trip will include that little city/town.
Oh, I love that little town! Really enjoyed a trip that included it and wished I had more time to spend there.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLLM123 View Post
Oh, I love that little town! Really enjoyed a trip that included it and wished I had more time to spend there.
Oh great! I did some preliminary research and it seems like it has quite a few good restaurants (that will be always be my main draw for any town/city). Nice to hear from someone who has been there and love it. I don't know when I will be going...but at least when I go I have that random destination picked out for me already!

Last edited by HoneyNMint; 09-12-2013 at 12:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.