Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2020, 07:31 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
How? NM borders far West Texas which doesn't seem much different from NM. Heavily Hispanic and non-Southern culturally
Yeah, there are probably more differences between the regions of Texas than there are between those regions and the neighboring states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 07:35 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
Again, you are thinking of a region of NJ (near NY)... The majority of the state (central and south) is a LOT like Pennsylvania.
That's not true, once you cross the Ben Franklin Bridge into Camden, you know you're not in PA anymore.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:40 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Yeah, there are probably more differences between the regions of Texas than there are between those regions and the neighboring states.
I disagree although I must say the Llano Estacado region of Texas and the Little Texas part of New Mexico(towns like Carlsbad,Hobbs, and Roswell are virtually identical).However, there are many parts of New Mexico that are nothing like Little Texas.Those parts of Texas that are nothing like Little Texas are way different than some of other Texas regions.East Texas is a lot different than Northern New Mexico

Old 09-26-2020, 07:41 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Oklahoma And New Mexico make sense

Old 09-27-2020, 11:31 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
That's not true, once you cross the Ben Franklin Bridge into Camden, you know you're not in PA anymore.
But it doesn't feel drastically different.

Old 09-27-2020, 12:54 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I disagree although I must say the Llano Estacado region of Texas and the Little Texas part of New Mexico(towns like Carlsbad,Hobbs, and Roswell are virtually identical).However, there are many parts of New Mexico that are nothing like Little Texas.Those parts of Texas that are nothing like Little Texas are way different than some of other Texas regions.East Texas is a lot different than Northern New Mexico
I’m not sure if I understand you post, but what I was saying is that there is a lot of cultural differences between the different regions of Texas, and a lot of time that difference is bigger than between those regions and the neighboring states. East Texas may not have much in common culturally with Northern New Mexico, but it also doesn’t have much in common culturally with the Panhandle. While you have the panhandle and Little Texas, you also have the El Paso area and Southern New Mexico. They a much more culturally similar than El Paso is to the Gulf Coast or the piney woods. Likewise Houston and SE Texas have a lot more in common culturally with Louisiana than they do West Texas or the Rio Grande valley. Same with Dallas/North Texas and Oklahoma compared to San Antonio/Central Texas.

Old 09-27-2020, 12:54 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But it doesn't feel drastically different.
Take it from someone born in Jersey. Let's start with the obvious, PA has no equivalent to Wildwood or Atlantic City.

Old 09-27-2020, 01:42 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,419,379 times
NJ and PA.

Old 09-27-2020, 01:43 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Take it from someone born in Jersey. Let's start with the obvious, PA has no equivalent to Wildwood or Atlantic City.
I was talking about crossing over into Camden from Philly. Obviously PA has nothing like the coastal Jersey towns nor does NJ have anything like Pittsburgh.

Old 09-27-2020, 03:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
How? NM borders far West Texas which doesn't seem much different from NM. Heavily Hispanic and non-Southern culturally
The whole border area is strongly Southern Baptist (in contrast to New Mexico's dominant Catholicism) and has that Texan drawl, both of which are signifiers of a Southern cultural heritage.

While that estern fringe of New Mexico definitely has more in common with Texas, the New Mexican mean is pretty damn far from the Texan mean. New Mexico has far more in common with Colorado and Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.