Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 12,376 times

Advertisements

I am ready to start fresh. I have very little tying me down and my employment skills can take me just about anywhere. Im in Memphis right now and Memphis has little to do outdoor-wise. So basically heres what I want:

A place that has a good out-doors feel. Similar to Denver-but Ive lived in Denver(which I liked) and I want something not as expensive. So cost of living is relatively low. (I just want a small place that wont get robbed every night)Good economy. Weather that is not crappy-as in overcast all the time. I am looking for a place with lots of girls in their mid 20's-early 30's.(This is probably #1 in importance on my list) I don't do the online dating thing period, or bars or clubbing. I meet girls through friends, and I am very good at making friends wherever I go. Im white, and usually more attracted to white girls. Im not trying to be racist at all, just what I am attracted to. People that typically that are over-all cool and fun. Did I mention I love the outdoors and camping and stuff?

So I am thinking between Charlotte NC, and Phoenix. What do you all think of those cities in regards to my preferances? I was thinking Charlotte because its near the mountains, and you can drive to the beach in a couple hours, but its humid which sucks, but probably not as humid as Memphis has been. If you have any other ideas of Cities that meet this criteria Im open to em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
If you don't mind some snow maybe a place in one of the upper Great Lakes area. Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids come to mind. Beautiful beaches and dunes nearby, tons of rivers and small lakes, lots of forests and parks for camping, the Porcupine mountains in the UP, and plenty of winter activities if you like those things.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Well the problem I have with Michigan is the lack of sunny days. I have family their, and it seems overcast a lot. But I really appreciate throwing out ideas. Keep em coming!

Old 09-18-2013, 01:35 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Salt Lake City would be a good option if you like an outdoorsy city with lots of sunshine and a good number of young single women (70% of the population is under the age of 44). The economy is also quite strong with a very low unemployment rate (4.1%) and it has a fairly reasonable cost of living.

Last edited by kyle19125; 09-18-2013 at 01:57 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 03:38 PM

Hmmm, I've never been to Salt Lake city. Only place Ive been in Utah is Moab and I loved it. Have you ever lived their or do you? I know their are a lot of Mormons their and i have heard they tend to have a lot of children(not sure on this)do you think that could be an affect on that percentage? I don't want to get their and find its got that percentage because theirs a bazillion little kids lol. What a dissapointment that would be ha!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
When I think of an area with lots of young people, I think of university towns or areas with lots of jobs for recent grads.

Generally, those areas aren't going to be really cheap. Areas with the above, that are also really safe, are also not going to be really cheap.

When I think of Phoenix, I think of old people and snow birds, and that it's not cheap. Could be wrong, of course.

If you don't want humidity and you want sunshine, you're looking at the west, but not the PNW.

How cheap is cheap, btw, that would help. Also, are you willing to rent a room? If so, you can probably afford anywhere you want. Lots of great weather and university towns here in CA. Anything from beaches to mountains to deserts.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 PM

Ive always viewed cali as too expensive. Isn't gas like 4.50 a gallon or something? I pay 3.25 here in memphis. I dont want to spend no more than 800 with utilities to rent because im building my savings. I dont need a lot, but I do want a little privacy. Looking for around 800sq feet give or take with off street parking. Is that possible in cali? I do like the outdoors life of California. I just doubt the expense is worth it since at this point in my life.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 PM

Ive never rented a room. What is it? In somebodys house or something?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:31 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
Fort Collins or Colorado Springs?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Stripe View Post
Ive never rented a room. What is it? In somebody's house or something?
Yes. You would be a border in someone's house. That's how it usually works. Check out websites like Airbnb, they have people with rooms to rent. The room is yours and you have kitchen and bathroom "privileges" which means you can use them. The rest of the house might be negotiable.

Often empty-nesters will rent a room after their kids leave to supplement retirement income. Some rent to college kids during the school year. Since you are renting only a room, it is a lot less expensive than a whole apartment but you don't get the privacy and only the one room is yours so that's the only place you can keep your belongings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.