Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:07 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,963,479 times

Advertisements

Whoa your way to picky man I don`t think America will suit you have you considered just staying put? Or maybe an island in the middle of the pacific?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 03:22 PM

343 posts, read 932,722 times
Why, exactly, do you prefer living in an area that is mostly white? Isn't part of the beauty of urban living the incredible diversity of the city? The amazing variety of languages, cultures, ethnicities, and people in general is the draw of the city for most.

So why is the racial composition of your prospective city an important (perhaps the MOST important) factor? Are you afraid of racial diversity? Do you feel uncomfortable around people who are not white? Do you believe that people of color are more dangerous? Perhaps a city in which white people are not the numerical majority would be a good experience for you. It might allow you to expand your horizons and realize that diversity is truly precious.

And, fortunately for you, and unfortunately for others, most american cities suffer from appalling racial segregation. Thus, any city will almost certainly have large 'white' enclaves.

I hope you reconsider this factor. I think you should choose San Francisco or Philadelphia.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:57 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
I wonder the same considering I've been respectful and patient despite the unnecessary rude remarks. I got many irrelevant replies at first. The rest have been helpful. I don’t mind discussing sensitive issues. I will elaborate in another post why there's nothing wrong with having a preference which I've based mostly on a rational basis, socio-cultural, factors relating to my other criteria's which influence the overall suitability of a city, and of course as well as physical where there's the greatest likelihood of meeting a desired partner.

I’m used to winters in Stockholm. I compared the average weather conditions of Minneapolis to Stockholm. Minneapolis has more sunny hours over the year. It’s particularly important in winter time because of SAD. According to statistics the Minneapolis winters are much colder than Stockholm yet the summers are warmer. Average precipitation from May to September is much higher in Minneapolis. Average humidity is less than Stockholm. The weather conditions in Minneapolis are more extreme even compared to northern European cities. I’m not bothered if the snow is hard. It’s annoying to walk through mud when the snow melts. In Stockholm it can happen almost any time of the year although it’s more common in spring. You end up having to wash your clothes almost every day with that kind of weather.

Average weather conditions of Minneapolis and Stockholm:

BBC - Weather Centre - World Weather - Average Conditions - Minneapolis
BBC - Weather Centre - World Weather - Average Conditions - Stockholm

I agree criminals usually deal with each other. I’m sure the crime rate in even northern Minneapolis is far from Johannesburg, South Africa. I’ve read a few comments about Minneapolis which worried me. Please read
//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...s-chicago.html

When compared with Chicago M2N wrote Minneapolis is for families with young children.

nocturnal99: “You'll find that conversations and interactions with people in Minnesota pale in comparison to NYC. The downtown areas die off after 6PM and the food sucks. Brush up on your knowledge of hunting/fishing/mudding so you'll have something to "break the ice" with in conversations.”

nocturnal99: “You can leave your fancy clothes too because jeans and "jamy pants" are the dress code for almost everything.”

//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...nneapolis.html

I have been around country people (of the posh kind) the last few months and all they talk about is hunting and similar activities which I’m not necessarily against but I know very little about. It gets quite boring after awhile to be around people who have very different interests. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite open-minded in this respect. Today a girl suggested I go on horse riding with her and other friends, and although it's not something I would usually do, I'm willing to try it out. I suppose the only interest I have outside the city are waterskiing/wakeboarding. I used to go skiing with relatives as a kid. I haven’t skied in several years though. I've done fishing. I didn't like it much. I went more for the company in the form of my funny cousin.

Nocturnal99 also made a comment on the clothes people wear. I would feel rather uncomfortable around people who would wear casual clothes to almost any occasion.

Sushiegirle: “Minneapolis is a terrible place for single young people 30+. Locals keep to themselves and they are all married/remarried by the age of 30.”
//www.city-data.com/forum/minne...gles-30-a.html

I would like to find a nice woman to settle down with and it’s also very difficult to make new friends in a cliquish environment. That's a great place if the divorce rates are low as well. However, it sounds difficult if you're new in the city.

I'm glad neo-conservatives aren't respected in Minneapolis. They shouldn't be popular anywhere in USA because they are working for their own interests which are not necessarily that of the majority of ordinary Americans. Read The Neoconservative Revolution - Cambridge University Press
Luckily, more and more people are getting to know more about this Straussian group with followers like Paul Wolfowitz. Enough about them. Could you please tell me what you mean with socially liberal? Keep in everything in American politics is overall more to the right than Europe.

Thanks for your informative and kind post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Why can't people answer a simple question. If this guy wants to live in a city prodominately populated by green boogey-monsters; tell him about green boogey cities or shut it.
Mpls. has alot of diversity, but the city is still predominately white. (about 70%) It is cold, but transportation is pretty good within the city proper. It is far from a dangerous city (unless you are a part of why crime exists). It is pretty urban by American standards and has a high quality of life overall. It is home to the main state university, The Univ. of Minnesota (about 35,000 enrolled), and is one of the most literate and educated cities in the country. It is a liberal city, but I feel like a Libertarian would be respected (unlike a neo-conservative). You will have to understand that Mpls. is very socially liberal. If you have similar social ideas, you will still fit in somewhat.
Seattle is also very white by city standards.
Good luck.

Last edited by internat; 12-07-2007 at 09:17 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 11:02 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,032 times
Noctural hasn't a clue what she is talking about. I have lived in The City my entire life and didn't know what mudding was until she told me. Mpls. generally marries earlier; and we are only a family-orientated city in comparison to Chicago. It is harder here to make friends if you are a passive person. Minnesotans generally don't make the first step; you have to do that. There are alot of transplants that are easier to befriend. There are people from everywhere in The City; some are open and some are not. You will find more aquaintences in other cities, but you will find more true friends here, IMO. Mpls. is more casual than major coastal cities; but we aren't a city of slovenly bastards as that post would imply.
Minneapolis is socially liberal in that nobody here (in the urban parts of the Metropolitan area, at least) care how you live your life. That is why Gays, alternatives/bohemians, artists, suits, et. cetera. coexist here so well. The City is also socially progressive in a politcal way. Nobody supports marriage bans, we like a strong social safety net, there is well-funded social workers, et. cetera. Mpls. was settled mostly by Scandinavians; so if you can imagine a Oslo or Stockholm tainted by more conservative national politics you will get something akin to Mpls.
Suburban areas here are politically polar of the urban core of the city. Those areas are more socially and fiscally conservative. Inner suburbs (Saint Louis Park, Bloomington, Roseville) are closer to Mpls. than suburban counties politically.
Hope that answers some more of your questions.
---Minnehahapolitan

Old 04-16-2011, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,536 times
I live here. //www.city-data.com/city/Eastlake-Ohio.html
As you see, it is 97% white. It is a SUBURB of Cleveland. Cleveland is about 25 minutes away by freeway. I know you said you want warm/south, but we have nice summers here and the spring/fall is very enjoyable.

I'm wondering why nobody has has suggested a SUBURB. The burbs outside of most major cities is usually mostly white.

To the people that have their panties in a bunch because he wants to live in a mostly white area: SO WHAT? It's his preference, it doesn't make him a racist!! Do you all live in a mostly black community? I bet all of you that oppose him are white people that live in mostly white communities. Get off your high horse.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 AM

4 posts, read 5,407 times
If you find a city let me know. A predominantly white city would be Heaven in this Hell. I want to walk the streets at night and know I won't be killed. A white population has a higher standard of living, they are better educated, and they do not commit anywhere near as much crime as other races. You know drugs were almost gone from the US till Hispanics brought them here? Disgusting! Black youth walk around and punch white people, killing some. It's appalling! I want out of here ASAP! How about we make a new country with only white people and watch the US crummble and refuse to let any other races in. I'm living in Hell on Earth (America).

Old 12-09-2013, 12:26 AM

28 posts, read 60,234 times
Try the local country club IN SOUTH AFRICA....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.