Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 04:02 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,887,169 times

Advertisements

The only states I would EVER live in:

WA
CA
NY
MA
IL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Montana, Nebraska, Vermont, Utah, Michigan, or New Mexico
Those are states, not cities.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Same here. I can barely stand 28 degree heat.

A city with 16-22 degree summers would be great. Just warm enough for T-shirts or tank tops, yet not hot enough for you to go on a heat-fueled murder spree for a bottle of water.
I take it your degrees are in Celsius?

Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Davy Crockett once said, "Y'all can go to Hell and I'll go to Texas".

lol

For myself, anyplace north of the Red River, east of the Sabine, and west of the Pecos has no appeal at all.

I've lived in California, Missouri, Kansas, Louisiana - have traveled to the NE & SE. No thanks.

I'm more of General Philip H. Sheridan fan.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:28 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am asking, how can a person judge a place unless he or she has actually been to that place and made observations for themselves?
It's not practical to expect a person to actually visit every place before deciding on whether or not to consider living there.

A decision can be based on personal research, or a comfort zone/gut feeling that a person has. Maybe the person is only interested in cities of a certain minimum/maximum size, location in the country, a particular job market, amenities, outdoor activities, etc. The decision is not necessarily against anybody in particular.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:46 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Phoenix, AZ: political climate and weather
Las Cruces, NM: reminds me of "Area 51"
Las Vegas: glitz, glitz, glitz and 110 degree weather
Los Angeles: spent more than 20 years there. Pretentious, under educated, fake people with attitudes all around.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:14 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Naples, fl. My hometown. I won't move there even 45 years from now when I am ready to retire. Lol

Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I understand what you're trying to ask but I think you're just personally offended that some people don't like Portland. It has a reputation for being a liberal hippy haven. Fair or not. I know that just across the river in Vancouver, WA is quite the opposite. Fairly conservative. That's one reason I ruled Vancouver out. That and in my real estate query, I found mostly newer subdivisions of cookie cutter houses with zero personality.

No city represents it's sterotype 100% and it's foolish to think there is no way to avoid the hippy culture in Portland but that doesn't mean it's still not a good fit. Sometimes it's better for people to admit to themselves that they don't think they'd like an area before diving in head first without giving it a second thought. Don't take it personal.
No way about my being offended about people not liking Portland. There are many reasons as to why I am not crazy about where this city is going and why I am looking to move in the near future. I just don't like people making any type of judgment on any subject based on anything but there own research.

And hippy culture in Portland? Where would you find that? Hipster, yes. Hippy? Not for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's not practical to expect a person to actually visit every place before deciding on whether or not to consider living there.

A decision can be based on personal research, or a comfort zone/gut feeling that a person has. Maybe the person is only interested in cities of a certain minimum/maximum size, location in the country, a particular job market, amenities, outdoor activities, etc. The decision is not necessarily against anybody in particular.

People are often very disappointed upon moving to a place based on their stereotypical notions of what those places are like so it is a mistake for them not to check that place out beforehand. We see that happen so often in Portland because of the gross misconception people have about this city. But from what I have read on other CD city forums, that is not an uncommon situation. I cannot imagine someone moving someplace blind.

But if they absolutely cannot visit a city beforehand, they should do their own research such as posting on forums such as the various City Data forums and asking questions of the people who actually live in those places rather than following the stories, advice and repeated falsehoods perpetrated by those who get their information from secondhand sources like TV shows and erroneous sources pretending to be experts simply because they heard about a place.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Davy Crockett once said, "Y'all can go to Hell and I'll go to Texas".

lol

For myself, anyplace north of the Red River, east of the Sabine, and west of the Pecos has no appeal at all.

I've lived in California, Missouri, Kansas, Louisiana - have traveled to the NE & SE. No thanks.
One person's hell is another person's heaven Just sayin'.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:06 PM

351 posts, read 499,972 times
L.A., NYC, anywhere in Texas or Florida or the Southwest.

Places in the U.S. that I would move to if I had the chance:
Portland, OR, Minneapolis, Omaha, Boston, Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.