Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProkNo5 View Post
I grew up in Milwaukee and love the place, but freshman year of college my car died and I ended up embracing the car-free lifestyle. My family all moved away from Milwaukee while I was in college, so I had the opportunity to move anywhere I wanted. I explored cities all over the country looking for the best place to live out my car-free lifestyle. I tried living in Chicago for a bit after college, but that was short lived. Ultimately I chose Cincinnati because it's walkability is unparalleled. There are plenty of cities in this country with good transit systems that carry people across parking lots and freeways that divide neighborhoods, but very few have the continuous urban fabric the way the Cincinnati does. I walk almost everywhere, sometimes as far as 4 miles without having the landscape make me uncomfortable as a pedestrian. I can actually see myself raiding a family without a car here. That's rare. I've been in love with the city for about 7 years, but I'm lived here full time for about 2.5 years now. It's only grown on me. I love the culture, the old German beer halls, the Italianate architecture, the food (Goetta is incredible), the arts scene, the traditions, and everything else that makes this town so different.
Sounds great. I grew up in Ohio but never spent much time in Cincinnati.

Please tell me more about this "family raiding" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:49 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
Family lives here, grew up here. When I get money and a chance I'm leaving to the north. Also after college.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:54 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
New Mexico loves up to its reputation doesn't it? I've never been to the Southwest (My mom been to Phoenix-Scottsdale and she loves both it and Arizona), how is it in both states?
What I like most about the Southwest is things look and feel different here more than an other part of the country. In my own (subjective) opinion much of the US looks the same to me. Similar rolling hills and forested tree canopy from New England all the way to the Carolina Piedmont, plains covering a huge chunk of the country, and well.... you get the idea. The Southwest has a variety of colorful landscapes and micro climates. The landscapes change rapidly from baking hot low desert valleys, saguaro cacti covered hills, irrigated agricultural valleys, piñon covered high desert hills, ponderosa pine forests and snow covered alpine mountain peaks (called sky islands), red rocks mesas and canyons etc. You can always see the horizon here, the skies are stellar, and the sunsets are amazing all of which I find inspiring. There are palpable elements of Spanish Colonialism and ancient Native American settlements so it's culturally intriguing as well.

Northern New Mexico has a very agreeable climate, four seasons and 300 + days a year of balmy sunshine but high enough in altitude in many parts that it's not excessively hot in the summer like Southern AZ/Phoenix. It's fairly mild in the winter but we get cold temperature swings every now then and it gets windy in the spring which is fine as it keeps it from getting boring.

As to New Mexico living up to its reputation, well depends on what you've heard I suppose because we are a bit under the radar. That attracts certain people and transplants here who want to escape the ratrace, places like Santa Fe have a lot of artistry and aging hippies. The clichéd caricature Santa Fe resident would be a divorced middle aged woman that moved here from New Jersey so she could start over and "heal" on a spiritual quest, gets advice from her zen psychic consultant named Ashanti, goes to yoga class, shops at the Famers Market, and rubs elbows in the art gallery crowd.

Albuquerque is the center of commerce, there is some of that "Enchantment" vibe here, but overall it's a sprawly mid sized metro with a beautiful high desert and mountain setting, a few prosperous parts and a lot of lower middle class and impoverished areas as well (commonly found throughout the state). The show Breaking Bad for better or worse made a big mark on the city, seems very well embraced here which is fairly telling as there is a lot of drug trafficking going on here and the state has a very high DUI rate.

Like any place you take the good with the bad, but the thing that bugs me the most about New Mexico is the state of education here is abysmal. Without a good education foundation in place there won't be much of a promising future to look forward to. A 2012 report stated that Albuquerque had a 63% high school graduation rate and that is shameful (APS reports 63.4 percent graduation rate | Albuquerque News - KOAT Home). Many of the good paying jobs here are reliant on the federal government such as the Sandia and Los Alamos labs, which is vulnerable to cut backs and there isn't enough private enterprise here. I'd like to see conditions get better here as there as the state has a lot of untapped potential.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 11-13-2013 at 07:22 PM..

Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
People ask me this question all. the. time. "Eww why you live in Jersey City?" As if a penthouse in the UES was really an option.

I'm here because it's the closest place to my job that I could afford. And at the time it was a cool neighborhood. Now it's been "discovered." Some changes are good, some not so good.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I chose it because it's not too hot or too cold, too big or too small, not too expensive or isolated. Beautiful scenery, lots of outdoor opportunities, festivals, etc. and seems like a pretty decent place to spend the next twenty years.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 AM

217 posts, read 313,218 times
Los Angeles
Great weather, diversity, a lot of culture, different food everywhere, liberal, big city, entertainment 24/7, people are very body conscious, like to look good, eat healthy, etc.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:43 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,406 times
I live in Tampa bay. I love it. I live on the water, 4 blocks from the beach. It is a near perfect place, but if I could move further south, I would do it in a heart beat. Tampa's winters are entirely too cold. It's almost like I'm not living in Florida.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:16 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
I chose Los Angeles because of a job and because my brother lives here. I love everything about LA and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 AM

165 posts, read 276,939 times
I live in St. Louis, Mo since it's my hometown, and it's cheap. I like the four season weather in our area. People are the nicest you'll meet anywhere.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 PM

63 posts, read 107,044 times
A woman. It was a bad idea. Never follow a woman to another state. It's a trap I tell you.

Remember this next time you walk by the pest killer shelves at the hardware store. Look at the mouse traps and then look at a woman in the store. Ingrain that connection in your mind like a laser etched plaque. Women=trap. RUN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.