Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times

Advertisements

Took a trip to Europe and realized for the first time from one of the posters here that it's true, every coin in Europe has the denomination but U.S. coins don't, and their coin denominations are typically 50 and 20 and 10 cents which makes it easier to count out compared to 25 and 10 and 5 cents, and how refreshing it was not to have to pay sales tax on top of a purchase over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 02:38 AM

391 posts, read 754,158 times
My thoughts:

- Great healthcare with doctors who actually WANT to do tests on you when you're sick
- Open and friendly people
- Cheap to buy branded products, dine out etc. (in most of the country)
- Semi-capitalism (I am a capitalist, so I like the US)
- Great schools
- Big, "rich" population so opportunities are endless for an entrepreneur
- Lots of rules on what you are allowed to say in an advertisement (FTC are harsh...this, I don't like)
- Lots of hamburger and fast-food restaurants
- In LA, douche-bag police-officers
- Everybody is scared...nobody looks you in the eyes etc
- Lots of wannabe "gangsters"
- Very safe and friendly when you go out to bars, nightclubs etc (mature audience, no fighting etc)
- Low speed-limit on highways and they have RADARS spotting you if you drive too fast
- Good roads and easy to find the way to wherever you're going
- People generally dress poorly. It's sort of the norm to dress like a hiphopper with clothes 3 sizes too large. Even if a shirt is too large, Americans say it's too small.

Last edited by svedski; 11-22-2013 at 02:53 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 02:41 AM

156 posts, read 270,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Took a trip to Europe and realized for the first time from one of the posters here that it's true, every coin in Europe has the denomination but U.S. coins don't, and their coin denominations are typically 50 and 20 and 10 cents which makes it easier to count out compared to 25 and 10 and 5 cents, and how refreshing it was not to have to pay sales tax on top of a purchase over there.
I completely agree on this.

What I would love for Europe to learn from US is the way streets are titled in NYC. It's the most sensible thing I've seen in the States.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:15 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
What's really crazy about the States is that the amount of tax you pay varies wildly. For some places, the price you see is the price you pay (no sales tax in Alaska, Oregon, and many goods are tax-free in Minnesota) and other places it's 4%, 7%, or even 11% (Alabama has some RIDICULOUS sales tax rates - usually 9-11%).
And this would be why taxes are not included on the price tag you see on the shelf.
Walmart pays $1.50 for the mightywidget from China and they price it at $3.00 to make their profit. They don't give a hoot what various govt entities charge for tax and they sure as heck aren't going to pay for the manpower to figure up all the different prices for all the different locations and print up the shelf labels for all those prices.
I've stated before that I can buy a mightywidget where I live and pay up to five different prices for it depending on which Walmart location I make my purchase, because of various state, county, and city taxes, all within about a ten mile range.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I am from Russia Federation and my friend Yietske tell me bannanas fruit is free in grocery market I can not believe until I see them there for myself, Yietske tell me be sure to finish before cashier line and this I make sure to do and throw my bannana skin behind wonder bread loafs on way to front of store like he show me.
This is the post of the year.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:12 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
One thing I really liked about New Zealand - the price you see is the price you pay, taxes already figured in.

What's really crazy about the States is that the amount of tax you pay varies wildly. For some places, the price you see is the price you pay (no sales tax in Alaska, Oregon, Delaware, New Jersey, and many goods are tax-free in Minnesota) and other places it's 4%, 7%, or even 11% (Alabama has some RIDICULOUS sales tax rates - usually 9-11%).
On top of that, sales taxes also varies in cities as well.

I also wanted to add those two states as well.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
My thoughts:

- Great healthcare with doctors who actually WANT to do tests on you when you're sick
- Open and friendly people
- Cheap to buy branded products, dine out etc. (in most of the country)
- Semi-capitalism (I am a capitalist, so I like the US)
- Great schools
- Big, "rich" population so opportunities are endless for an entrepreneur
- Lots of rules on what you are allowed to say in an advertisement (FTC are harsh...this, I don't like)
- Lots of hamburger and fast-food restaurants
- In LA, douche-bag police-officers
- Everybody is scared...nobody looks you in the eyes etc
- Lots of wannabe "gangsters"
- Very safe and friendly when you go out to bars, nightclubs etc (mature audience, no fighting etc)
- Low speed-limit on highways and they have RADARS spotting you if you drive too fast
- Good roads and easy to find the way to wherever you're going
- People generally dress poorly. It's sort of the norm to dress like a hiphopper with clothes 3 sizes too large. Even if a shirt is too large, Americans say it's too small.
That's strange (And kind of a generalization honestly), you think our clothes are baggy? If anything, our clothing tastes have gotten smaller ever since baggy clothing fell out of style back in the late 2000s. Even the Hip Hop community has moved on from baggy clothing for the most part. I personally don't dress baggy but I don't dress 'skinny' either. But then again, I know the size measurements for clothing are different in both the US and Europe and other countries I believe. I wonder if the metric system has something to do with this.....

Old 11-23-2013, 04:32 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
That's strange (And kind of a generalization honestly), you think our clothes are baggy? If anything, our clothing tastes have gotten smaller ever since baggy clothing fell out of style back in the late 2000s. Even the Hip Hop community has moved on from baggy clothing for the most part. I personally don't dress baggy but I don't dress 'skinny' either. But then again, I know the size measurements for clothing are different in both the US and Europe and other countries I believe. I wonder if the metric system has something to do with this.....
Everyone in Europe dresses the same to me. The younger generation all think they're hipster.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
People on the west coast don't really wear baggy clothing that is east cost thing.The west coast has more the Cholo look. Normally plain tee's, striped polo's, and some short sleeved button shirts , ten pants or ten shorts or black shorts or black pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Everyone in Europe dresses the same to me. The younger generation all think they're hipster.
You have Chav that we don't.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
People on the west coast don't really wear baggy clothing that is east cost thing.The west coast has more the Cholo look. Normally plain tee's, striped polo's, and some short sleeved button shirts , ten pants or ten shorts or black shorts or black pants.

You have Chav that we don't.
Well I live on the East Coast, and our clothes are not baggy. It would be nice to see a couple of pictures as an example of what you thought you saw while visiting the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.