Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 PM

9 posts, read 13,417 times

Advertisements

I am really just looking for opinions I'm so confused we moved from Indy to PA a few months ago and I feel like it was the worst decision we ever made. my husband lost his job in IN and got one in PA, so we up and moved leaving behind a great house that we loved. Now we totally regret the decision, we are thinking about moving back and both of us looking for work at least we will be home. We have just made so may bad decisions we dont want to make another one. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:29 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
What part of Indiana are y'all from and what part of Pennsylvania do y'all live?

If it's really that bad I'd tough it out And make the best of it until your husband could find another job in Indiana, the recession is ending.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 PM

we lived in Indianapolis and now live in Pittsburgh.
I hope your right about the recession

Old 09-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
It would help members come up with recommendations if you explained more about what you liked about Indiana and dislike about Pennsylvania.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM

For 1 I loved my house in IN bought for like 100,000 well worth 140,000. here I can't touch a house that size for under 300,000. second there are no rentals here, apt. etc... Im renting a house sooo small and just found out has mold. Schools are so crazy, never let parents in too much with the elementary kids. They never give us any info on how the child is doing, will do nothing personal.
No place for kids to play outside, so sidewalks, etc.....

Old 09-20-2009, 10:15 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
I can't believe that there are no apartments in Pittsburgh.

Re: the school issue, if you're renting, it would be possible to move to another neighborhood with a different/better school. I'm sure if you did some research you'd find something better. You may have just been unlucky.

Part of your problem is that you moved from the one of the least expensive housing markets in the country. Unless you move to Detroit, you're going to have to adjust to paying more for housing. $100k for a decent house is very low almost anywhere.

The recession is ending, but it's not over. And unemployment is a lagging indicator. The jobs are not coming back yet. A job is a job in this market. I would pursue every option to ameliorate your housing situation before your husband quits. You should also keep in mind that quitting a job in this market will not look good on a resume.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:11 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
So you left Indiana which had a special place in your heart to try to make a better living and have regrets... I wish you all the best, but give your new home a chance, I know it's probably hard and I give you kudos for doing what you have to do leaving so much behind, but maybe a longer commute from a smaller, cheaper town from Pittsburgh is what you need. (better school, cheaper rent/homes etc)
I'm no expert on the area, but I'm assuming if you got a job there, then that's not all they have to offer since finding a job almost anywhere else is near impossible.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:13 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
You should have moved to my area, which has one of the "best" housing markets in the country. Good site to look at and you can compare what you had in Indy to the homes here: #1 Syracuse Real Estate Website | CNYREALTOR.COM

By the way, how big was the house in Indy and what district was it in?

Old 09-21-2009, 09:19 AM

it was 2100 sq ft buikt in 2000. In Franklin Township one of the best schools in Indy.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:02 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tndp View Post
it was 2100 sq ft buikt in 2000. In Franklin Township one of the best schools in Indy.
Just to compare:

Here's the ranking for Franklin Township: Franklin Township Com School District Overview | GreatSchools

Here's a home with a similar size and price and the School District that it is in:
http://www.syr.interealty.com/ShowPr...tID=&ML=213170

Jamesville-Dewitt Central School District Overview | GreatSchools

You can find homes that are a bit smaller in sq. footage for around the same price, but with schools just as good, if not better in the area: New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.