Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Would you say the Great Plains and Rocky Mountains region is more or less the 'same' culturally in terms of accents, people.etc? I mean there's the old 'rancher and the farmer', but it seems to be that now at least, there is little difference between people in states like Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado, Wyoming etc. Kansas City, Denver and Omaha all seem more like plains states, even if Denver is in the 'Rocky mountains region.' Aside from Utah, the few major cities in the montane region themselves like Boise or Boulder could just be Midwestern cities. Would you say Colorado has more in common with Kansas than anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 01:12 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,939,636 times
That's a good question, and I would say that in the actual Rocky Mountain states there is a pride over the diversity of landforms and climate by the people of the regions. I think the mountain attitude is a bit different than the plains- I don't know exactly how to explain it, but i felt a similar thing in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Just a different, more independent feel. And even thought Denver is technically on the plains, I think it more embraces the features to the west than to the east. Regarding people, a lot of the attitude on the Front Range area feels more like the Upper Midwest than the Plains to me, but that probably has to do with a lot with the fact that most of the transplants that I know seem to be from WI, MN, MI, and IL.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 AM

Yes, the Rockies probably have a more 'frontier mentality' you find on the West coast, whereas farming communities tend to be more communal, less independent maybe, and more traditional/conservative.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Would you say the Great Plains and Rocky Mountains region is more or less the 'same' culturally in terms of accents, people.etc? I mean there's the old 'rancher and the farmer', but it seems to be that now at least, there is little difference between people in states like Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado, Wyoming etc. Kansas City, Denver and Omaha all seem more like plains states, even if Denver is in the 'Rocky mountains region.' Aside from Utah, the few major cities in the montane region themselves like Boise or Boulder could just be Midwestern cities. Would you say Colorado has more in common with Kansas than anywhere else?
Boulder is still a Great Plains city.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:00 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Denver is to Omaha as Tampa is to New Orleans..The front range of Colorado and West is more like California than the plains states.
There is some but less limited Midwest influence.
Want to sound truly ignorant call Denver the midwest.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 PM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Would you say Colorado has more in common with Kansas than anywhere else?
Oh hell NO! Colorado has legalized marijuana and gay civil unions and a trendy urban culture in Denver and Boulder, lots of hippie/yuppie mountain towns, and an athletic and outdoor recreational culture all of which are worlds away from Kansas.

The sparsely populated Eastern planes of Colorado beyond Denver's airport may have a kinship with Kansas, but the Front Range/I-25 corridor and all points west into the Rockies are drasticly different and a world apart from Kansas.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-04-2013 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-04-2013, 03:06 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,598,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Oh hell NO! Colorado has legalized marijuana and gay civil unions and a trendy urban culture in Denver and Boulder, with lots of hippy mountain towns, an athletic and outdoor recreational culture that are all worlds away from Kansas. Neighboring states and a world apart.
The mainly rural Eastern half of Colorado could be probably compared with Kansas or Nebraska, but yeah. The rest of Colorado is VERY different from what I've seen. The small Western CO cities like Grand Junction and Durango are closer in spirit to the Western U.S. than they are to anything East of the Rockies. IMO the Rockies are where the true West begins. Plains culture feels different to me.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Pretty much.
They speak the same language/accent, watch the same sports, celebrate the same holidays, eat the same kinds of food, etc...

Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Yes, the Rockies probably have a more 'frontier mentality' you find on the West coast, whereas farming communities tend to be more communal, less independent maybe, and more traditional/conservative.
I don't really follow the logic here. The great plains is emptier (more frontier-like?) than the west coast.

A lot of Wyoming is in the Great Plains, ditto with Montana.

I'd guess Colorado has more in common with Oregon than any plains state. Just a guess, though.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't really follow the logic here. The great plains is emptier (more frontier-like?) than the west coast.

A lot of Wyoming is in the Great Plains, ditto with Montana.

I'd guess Colorado has more in common with Oregon than any plains state. Just a guess, though.
I guess I'm more thinking Wild West/Gold Rush days when adventurous explorers headed to the rugged west. A spirit of 'rugged individualism' which still informs the character of the West to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.