Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Denver would seem like another area that could fit.
Cheap only if you are moving from CA or NYC. To the rest of the country, it's expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 10:08 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,520,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Oakland, California?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Cheap?
Well, I sure in hell didn't suggest San Francisco, San Jose, or Los Anegeles.

What the OP wants doesn't exist. I still stand by Oakland as the closest he is going to get.

Given the OP is from Orange County, his conception of cheap might be a little different from the rest of ours.

I don't know much about Sac-town. Maybe that could work. I've heard that Davis has a fantastic bike culture.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Other than the tons of jobs part, not really.
Well obviously not knocking every category out of the park, but for me Dallas is very cheap, has nice weather, and decent public transit. I think it's a good answer.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:46 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,623 times
I'm going to second Denver. It might not have your definition of "good weather" though. It certainly will keep you guessing

Old 12-10-2013, 12:56 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Well obviously not knocking every category out of the park, but for me Dallas is very cheap, has nice weather, and decent public transit. I think it's a good answer.
Dallas is very cheap, especially compared to Orange County. I wouldn't call the weather nice, unless you're a sucker for very hot weather 5-6 months out of the year. Coming from SoCal, Dallas' brutal summers and colder winters might be a bit uncomfortable. Dallas is too sprawl oriented outside of Uptown/Downtown and a few of the close by neighborhoods to ever have a really good transportation system, it's not exactly somewhere that you can live car free.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:00 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Oakland, California?

I don't want to get robbed or shot!

Oakland: Robbery capital of America - ContraCostaTimes.com

Old 12-11-2013, 12:52 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
I do not think that anyone wanted to get robbed or shot as long as I can remember. Unfortunately you cannot direct those who cross socially acceptable boundaries.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Dallas is very cheap, especially compared to Orange County. I wouldn't call the weather nice, unless you're a sucker for very hot weather 5-6 months out of the year. Coming from SoCal, Dallas' brutal summers and colder winters might be a bit uncomfortable. Dallas is too sprawl oriented outside of Uptown/Downtown and a few of the close by neighborhoods to ever have a really good transportation system, it's not exactly somewhere that you can live car free.
Fair enough, but from my perspective it's still the best answer. We all seem to agree you won't find all of these criteria to a high level in any one city...weather is OK for me, transit is fairly good (you're not gonna find much better outside cold and expensive regions) and jobs and COL is about as good as it will get.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:55 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
I'd say consider St. Louis

great public transportation - Its not NYC but definitely better than most other cities its size. You can get from most parts of the central corridor to the airport or the two major job centers by light rail.
tons of jobs - We have very low unemployment of 6.5%. This is lower than that of most metros in the country.
friendly people - YES

Isn't it dangerous there in terms of crime?

Old 12-14-2013, 03:36 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
Hi y'all,

I'm looking for a city that is affordable with great public transportation, tons of jobs, friendly people, and good weather.
Denver works on the surface, but let's play devils advocate:

1. Both real estate and rentals are at bubble levels right now. Inventory and vacancy are at all-time lows. Thus, affordability isn't looking too good. I'm glad I got in when I did rental-wise, but as far as buying a home (which I planned to do soon), I'm not too enthused with what my good income can buy.

2. Denver's light rail only goes south and due west for now. It will go other directions, when I'm in my mid 40's (30 now). Buses go everywhere, but of course no subway/etc. Light rail to the airport and through Aurora is under construction right now, as are a few TODs. No rail going north or NW yet. Nothing up to mountains.

3. Tons of people are moving here, so you're fighting with the best and the brightest for jobs.

4. I am not particularly fond of the people here, culturally I feel Denver is lacking in having its own culture that isn't related to the Broncos, skiing/snowboarding, or weed. I don't know if I'd use the word vanilla, but you get the picture.

5. In the past week we've had snow, sun, cold, and pleasant. Temperatures ranging from -13F to 52F in the matter of a week. I don't know if that's what most people call "good", but yeah the sun shines a lot, but it is also cold a lot, snows a lot, and pleasant a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.