Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:54 AM

191 posts, read 262,534 times

Advertisements

Just heard a talking head on MSNBC say that for the first time...more poor people lived in the suburbs than in the inner cities.

The ol' donut effect.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Not sure about the hippie vibe in city centers these days. Like SF, Portland and Seattle have started becoming cities for working professionals. It's becoming just too expensive for regular kids fresh out of college to live in. Just as SF has practically obliterated their "hippie" residents to make way for wealth-seekers, Seattle and Portland are likely to follow suit.
They already do. Hippies can't afford to live here. These cities are best suited for young professionals these days. They are not the hippie cities of decades gone by. It is doubtful a majority would want to secede. Those who talk about ceding are actually talking about an idea people have been discussing for a long time and it isn't only the PNW that has discussed it. So saying it will take many years for the idea to become popular is a joke. It's been bantered around for decades and still hasn't caught on.

Cascadia Related Links

But it could never happen here. The majority of people living in the PNW would not want it. Many people here are on the liberal side but they are not radical. I also don't think there would be a place for the poor in a newly seceded society.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:14 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The thing is that even if you try to secede, then you have this little problem.

It's called the United States military.
The constitution does not allow the US military to invade states anymore.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:25 PM

7 posts, read 12,055 times
Cool Swag hard on these trustfund kids baby

Let them secede than come back crying a week later when there G4 and wifi hotspots get cut off.

THE GOLD CHAN AND MULLET HAVE SPOKEN

Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The constitution does not allow the US military to invade states anymore.
???? What amendment was that? There are US statutory codes that prohibit this. BTW, if a State does not recognize US statutory laws (IE. rebel), the US Military or other agencies can drop by to enforce the US law for them and if necessary, remove the beligerant parties who are not enforcing US law.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:47 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
I don't have any interest in "Cascadia", but I'd be fine with it, if we dug a new river bed for the Columbia and moved it south of Portland and gave Portland to Washington state.

By the way, there is a "Cascadia State Park" in Oregon that is one of the finest places to stop and picnic and play in the river.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 AM

202 posts, read 406,373 times
I thought this was a very good recording of what the Cascadian movement is really about: Is It Time For Washington To Leave The Union? | KUOW News and Information

And you know, just because people might want to secede it doesn't mean they hate America.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:27 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,883,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver Girl View Post
I thought this was a very good recording of what the Cascadian movement is really about: Is It Time For Washington To Leave The Union? | KUOW News and Information

And you know, just because people might want to secede it doesn't mean they hate America.
Washington and Oregon just seem so different from the rest of the U.S. Seattle and Portland feel almost Scandinavian.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:41 PM

202 posts, read 406,373 times
Scandinavian, really? Have you been there? I'm genuinely curious. I think it'd be cool to visit Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and or Finland sometime. I'm sure it's beautiful there, too!

Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Of course secession is legal.
Can you just imagine how wonderful my region would be if the people in 1860 believed that? You would be living in a state just like South Africa circa 1980, and I would be living in a nation similar to Canada. And of course I would hope that after the break up in 1860 we would have barred all immigration from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.