Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:10 PM

386 posts, read 668,532 times

Advertisements

I've lived on the east coast my entire life. I love it here, but I need to get away and see what else is out there. Really considering starting a new life somewhere.

I'm looking for places that are not on the east coast and not in the south.

Some things I'm looking for:

- Above all, I want to move somewhere where there is no "Yankee hate". Seems like everywhere I go down here someone comments on the way I talk, the way I dress, or the way I drive and it all ends up because I'm a "Yankee". I've learned to hate that term and I'm sick of being called it. I understand that it's just what northeasterners are called, but after a while it gets really old and annoying and I really can't take it anymore.

- I do not want to be in the middle of no where. I want to be in a city that is active. I enjoying cycling, running, and walking. I do martial arts as well.

- Weather: I hate extremely hot weather (anything over 95) that lasts for long periods of time and I hate when the temp goes below 50 degrees. I prefer sunshine over clouds and rain any day. I absolutely hate rain.

- I do not drink or smoke or do drugs. I don't want to be somewhere where the only thing to do is hang out at bars or clubs. I don't like being around that atmosphere.

- I would prefer somewhere that has good public transportation by rail but it's not a huge priority. I just hate taking buses (got so sick of them after taking them since I was young) but I don't mind subways or trains. I also don't mind driving, but I don't want to have to drive a half hour to get everywhere.

- I enjoy a faster pace of life and want a city that is open minded.

I know these are a lot of naggy requirements and there probably isn't a city that meets every single one, but even if a few of these points are met, please list the city you have in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Denver sounds like a good fit. Minneapolis may also work.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Denver sounds like a good fit. Minneapolis may also work.
Thanks for replying. I've heard good things about Denver. What is Minneapolis like? To be honest I don't even know what state that's in off the top of my head

Old 12-09-2013, 09:37 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
Thanks for replying. I've heard good things about Denver. What is Minneapolis like? To be honest I don't even know what state that's in off the top of my head
Minneapolis is in Minnesota, but I think you knew that. It is known for its open minded vibe(interracial and LGBT friendly, etc) and increasing diversity. It has the public transportation you want and it is also known for being fit, as well as its high educational attainment. If you are still with your girl, I think it would be a good fit culturally , as the Twin Cities has a strong SE Asian community, as well as immigrants/refugees from various parts of the world.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Minneapolis is in Minnesota, but I think you knew that. It is known for its open minded vibe(interracial and LGBT friendly, etc) and increasing diversity. It has the public transportation you want and it is also known for being fit, as well as its high educational attainment. If you are still with your girl, I think it would be a good fit culturally , as the Twin Cities has a strong SE Asian community, as well as immigrants/refugees from various parts of the world.
Couldn't remember if it was in Minnesota or Missouri.

My girl is kind of not with the idea of moving somewhere new at this time. I think she's comfortable here and enjoys it. She said she would move to NYC but no way am I gonna move back any time soon. Need to explore

Old 12-10-2013, 10:07 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
You do not want Minneapolis if you hate cold weather. I lived there for 2 1/2 winters and dear god, it is COLD during the winter. And I live in Chicago now and I still consider Minneapolis to be very much colder, and colder for longer, than Chicago.

Denver is probably a reasonable choice for you, as might be San Diego.

P.S. Unrelated to your post and this thread except tangentially, why do we often see "I don't do drugs" but nobody ever writes, "I want to move to a new city and need one with ready access to crack"?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:39 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,183,676 times
I've noticed another problem in the Rocky Mountain region similiar to the "Yankee" problem you face in the south. I constanly hear "Oh, you're from back east" right before they discount you for not being "one of them". I think you'd face similar issues in Denver despite it being a city that appears to fit your criteria. To avoid that mindset, I think you'd have to stick to the Midwest or the west coast. You know the major cities along the coast so I won't bother listing them.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,183,676 times
[quote=emathias;32559048]You do not want Minneapolis if you hate cold weather. I lived there for 2 1/2 winters and dear god, it is COLD during the winter. And I live in Chicago now and I still consider Minneapolis to be very much colder, and colder for longer, than Chicago.

P.S. Unrelated to your post and this thread except tangentially, why do we often see "I don't do drugs" but nobody ever writes, "I want to move to a new city and need one with ready access to crack"?[/quote]

Because most people don't like to broadcast their illegal activities on a public forum ?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:49 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
[quote=Vegabern;32559541]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
You do not want Minneapolis if you hate cold weather. I lived there for 2 1/2 winters and dear god, it is COLD during the winter. And I live in Chicago now and I still consider Minneapolis to be very much colder, and colder for longer, than Chicago.

P.S. Unrelated to your post and this thread except tangentially, why do we often see "I don't do drugs" but nobody ever writes, "I want to move to a new city and need one with ready access to crack"?[/quote]

Because most people don't like to broadcast their illegal activities on a public forum ?
But it's also reasonably easy to write on here with enough anonymity that the author wouldn't be traceable for prosecutorial purposes. No local LEA is going to get access to NSA-level intel just to catch a drug user.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:30 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,539,138 times
Too bad you disqualify hot weather, because Houston is made for what you seek. At least three generations of Houstonians, probably more, have gone there with a desire to remake or restart their lives. I was born there, but when I needed to start over, Houston gave me the jump start I needed...or more accurately, stayed out of my way while I worked my way back to sanity and self-acceptance.

Nobody cares who your daddy is, or whether you went to an Ivy league school. Some might express an interest in what church you go to, but considering that it's easily one of the most diverse cities in the country in terms of the number of nationalities represented, you could just as easily be Hindu or Buddhist (or Muslim, for that matter- Houston has a lively history of Middle Eastern immigrants) as belong to Joel Osteen's megachurch or First Baptist.

As for a fitness culture, there's very strong running and cycling participation throughout the city, a function of the topography being very flat-- always, some of the fastest marathon times in the world are run at the Houston marathon. It's always been a great place to get your PB down to where you can qualify for Boston, for instance.

Don't sweat being a yankee down there, either. Houston's fulla yankees just like you. You adopt as much or as little of being Texan as you'd like.

As far as weather goes, yeah it's kind of hot in summer (93 with high humidity) but you'll be wearing shorts and flip-flops for Thanksgiving and maybe for Christmas.

There are other cities that are known for places to restart your life-- Phoenix and Las Vegas come to mind. Start to see a pattern there? They're western, warm to hot, politically conservative (actually, Houston itself is politically pretty liberal- they just re-elected their lesbian mayor), but big enough for everyone. None of them are going to have public transportation that's worth a d**n-- restarting your life means being independent, and that means having your own wheels.

Denver's going to have really cold weather in winter and, often, really hot weather in summer. Minneapolis will be pleasant in their 1.5 month summer, then be ridiculously cold.

If you can afford it, start traveling to some of these places yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.