Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated on citydata
Pacific Northwest 31 17.71%
The south (Atlanta, Houston, Florida, Dallas, etc) 60 34.29%
Northeast 38 21.71%
California 32 18.29%
Midwest (mostly Chicago and Minneapolis) 7 4.00%
other 7 4.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 01:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,594,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampThang View Post
No Texas option?
Despite what some people say here, Texas is part of the South, so it's covered.

However, the Southwest is mysteriously missing from this poll. Not that I think the Southwest is overrated. It definitely isn't... but it is a major U.S. region nonetheless and should be included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 02:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
I think it should have been split into the southwest and the deep south. I live in Alabama and it is by far NOT the most overrated. In fact, people are probably more likely to have something negative to say.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM

202 posts, read 319,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Despite what some people say here, Texas is part of the South, so it's covered.

However, the Southwest is mysteriously missing from this poll. Not that I think the Southwest is overrated. It definitely isn't... but it is a major U.S. region nonetheless and should be included.
The only reason I didn't add the southwest because I really don't see it listed often and I wanted to be specific and not just say south, west, midwest, and east

Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampThang View Post
Texas is far from being in the south. Southern influenced in some areas.
"Far"? No. Texas actually IS part of the South. It's the Western edge of the South. That doesn't mean it doesn't have it's own unique culture that differs from the rest of the South, or some topography and climate zones that differ from the rest of the region... but it is technically, geographically, and historically part of the South.

This isn't a matter of opinion. It just... is. Same goes for Florida. It has nothing to do with how often people say "y'all" or how humid it gets.

Even if Texas weren't part of the South, it would hardly be "far" from it.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
The only reason I didn't add the southwest because I really don't see it listed often and I wanted to be specific and not just say south, west, midwest, and east
But isn't the Southwest a specific region? I always saw it as one, and I know I'm not the only one. The Southwest is generally considered Arizona, New Mexico, Southern Nevada, Southern Utah, and Southwestern Colorado.

That's a pretty huge chunk of America missing from this poll, not to mention 4 decent-sized MSA's (Phoenix, Las Vegas, Tucson, Albuquerque).

Old 12-18-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
But isn't the Southwest a specific region? I always saw it as one, and I know I'm not the only one. The Southwest is generally considered Arizona, New Mexico, Southern Nevada, Southern Utah, and Southwestern Colorado.

That's a pretty huge chunk of America missing from this poll, not to mention 4 decent-sized MSA's (Phoenix, Las Vegas, Tucson, Albuquerque).
But remember when I also said I don't include it because nobody ever really brags about the southwest

Old 12-18-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
But remember when I also said I don't include it because nobody ever really brags about the southwest
Not recently maybe, but I've seen it. Is it common? No, but I've seen at least an equal amount of "bragging" about the Southwest as I've seen about the Midwest, which IS included in this poll. Not to mention there a lot more people living in the Midwest than there are in the Southwest.

Sorry if I'm coming off as pushy, but I just think it's only fair to include ALL the major U.S. regions when making comparisons like this, regardless of one's own personal opinion of who brags more.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Not recently maybe, but I've seen it. Is it common? No, but I've seen at least an equal amount of "bragging" about the Southwest as I've seen about the Midwest, which IS included in this poll. Not to mention there a lot more people living in the Midwest than there are in the Southwest.

Sorry if I'm coming off as pushy, but I just think it's only fair to include ALL the major U.S. regions when making comparisons like this, regardless of one's own personal opinion of who brags more.
Lol no you're fine I understand were you're coming from

Old 12-18-2013, 06:15 PM

93,187 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Anywhere can be overrated if someone builds it up to so much more than it really is. But having said that, I do not think that the Midwest or the South are overrated by most people at all. The PNW, the Northeast and California are the ones I think are most overrated.

Pacific Northwest - not all of these states are beautiful green forests and mountains. A very large part of Washington and Oregon is flat and arid. Also, kind of isolated from much of the country.

Northeast - you can find great cities all over the country not just the NE. Also there are nice small towns and nice fall colors in many other areas not just New England.

California - the famous California lifestyle still exists (I would not mind living there) but its not quite as nice as it used to be. Also similar to the PNW, a fair part of California scenery can be either blah or boring (Central Valley) or outright ugly.

South - not usually overrated except perhaps Texas lol!

Midwest - not usually overrated, in fact usually underrated

Other (Hawaii???) - Hawaii is beautiful but very very isolated.
I think with the Northeast, people only think in terms of the Bos-Wash corridor or like you mentioned, small town New England instead of the Interior Northeast. So, even within regions, certain parts/areas get more publicity or notoriety than others.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 PM

47 posts, read 64,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post

Indianapolis. A lot of people on here have associated Indianapolis with Columbus, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. Though I have nothing against Indy, I find it to be considerably duller and less vibrant than the other three, especially Minneapolis.
Indy and Columbus do have some similarities but you're right Indianapolis is dull and less vibrant compared to Columbus and especially Minneapolis and Milwaukee. I havent spent a lot of time on City-Data so I was a little surprised to read that it gets that much hype on here. I have always found it to be the most boring City in the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.