Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 10:09 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,920,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulll View Post
I have not been to either yet, but as I said Philadelphia has more of what interests me personally as far as history and outlying areas (Hershey Park, Valley Forge, etc.) I'm sure Chicago has great history, museums, and all the other amenities you mentioned. Grant Park looks exciting. I didn't knock Chicago in my post, just said that Philadelphia would be more my interest.

I haven't seen the bad rap Chicago has gotten, nor would I understand it (because from what I know, it's one of the 'IT' cities so to speak) and it is on my bucket list too.

Thank you for the points of interests in Chicago!

I can't answer about the graffiti and trash comment as I hadn't heard about that...
Chicago is about as cool as cool can get by almost any measure, for almost any generation. It's at the crossroads of culture.. Blues capital of the world, a leader in black culture, progressive and outside the bell curve neighborhoods that rival Brooklyn, open and inviting Midwestern population (by big city standards), very impressive bar scene, even more impressive restaurant scene, great sports town, great art and theatre town, beautiful neighborhoods, massively utilized beachfront, great parks, and the best in-season festivals of anywhere in North America that I've seen. Also, the annual Lollapalooza festival, much like Coachella, gives it a huge boost from younger generations making their way through the ranks.

Some might say University City is now a must-do, and has boosted Philadelphia's cool, younger vibe. To that I would say, have you seen West Loop/Fulton Market/Randolph row lately!? It's University City on steroids.

Sometimes, if anything, Chicago almost tries too hard to be cool, attractive, fun. But, tourism and retention of white collar professionals is the life-line in Chicago, and the city knows it.

If we are talking "cool", as someone who now calls the East Coast home, I cannot think of much of anything aside from a "gritty" vibe- unless history is your predominant indicator of cool - that Philadelphia has over Chicago. In this particular comparison, Chicago just has so much more. Same reason Chicago isn't, in my mind, as cool as NYC.

Now, there are other reasons to prefer Philadelphia over Chicago. History front and center. More desirable area of the country is another good reason. Older and arguably a more identifiable culture could be another. But, I don't know if I'd consider those reasons cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 10:29 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Funny since DC adds more millennials and has a younger population than Philly and other cities being discussed. Why would a company like Amazon and their CEO relocate to across the river from the city based on their RFP, if DC was this sterile suit wearing wasteland.
Story you disagree. That’s just how I see it after decades of business trips and visits to friends who live there. The fact that Amazon picked NOVA as one of their HQ sites doesn’t change my opinion. Besides, when did Jeff Bezos become cool?

Old 04-25-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Cool is a fairly subjective term, open to discussion. What's "cool" to someone is "boring" or "rowdy" or "blah" to others.
Which is exactly why the premise of this 7 year old thread (bumped by a Philly troll) is flawed. But hey, it’s CD.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
The bolded are blanket statements if ever I saw. Ironically, the first bold point is also said of Boston time and time again, yet everyone is considering it a cool city.
But are they? Really?

Still Boston is one of my all-time fav cities. If there were no Philly, we probably would have moved there. Besides, I’m not sure many people mistake me for a cool person.
Quote:
The points made about government and trust fund baby, come off very salty as I read them.
Hate to break it to you, but that’s how many of the rest of us view DC. But I do love the characterization of DC as a “trust fund baby.” I’d have given you points for this, but I liked an earlier post of yours today.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Philly had cool things, Reading market, Cheesesteak places, the colonial section, but the poverty and garbage honestly brought me down. Not that Chicago doesn't have poverty in sections, but it also has huge sectons of some really nice city. So I would def disagree with you, not as a homer, just as a guy who is familiar with both.
Philly has a lot of poverty, too. In fact, city leaders would love to see its poverty level come down to Chicago’s.

I love Chicago. Though I prefer Center City, I think downtown Chicago is cleaner and I love the riverside and lakefront. I’m not keen on the location, so I’m in Philly. But I think Chicago is a tier above Philly when I compare many urban amenities.

And I find both cities cool - a truly subjective, unquantifiable quality. That’s just my opinion.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:40 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Chicago is about as cool as cool can get by almost any measure, for almost any generation.
Unfortunately it's not as cool for Black folks anymore, even college-educated professional Blacks, which is a shame given its rich Black history, political and civic leadership, etc. I'm not necessarily saying that Philly is cooler for Black folks but they aren't actively fleeing the city like they are Chicago.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Story you disagree. That’s just how I see it after decades of business trips and visits to friends who live there. The fact that Amazon picked NOVA as one of their HQ sites doesn’t change my opinion. Besides, when did Jeff Bezos become cool?
Not sure about Bezos, but tech is considered to be the ultimate cool sector/profession. That said, Amazon chose the DC area for practical reasons but they do tend to align with elements of "coolness" as they are popularly conceived; this is more obvious with the choices of NYC and Nashville.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not sure about Bezos, but tech is considered to be the ultimate cool sector/profession.
Your comment perfectly illustrates that the concept of “coolness” is completely subjective. Not all see geek culture as cool, and some would see it as the opposite of cool. Watch “Silicon Valley.”

Old 04-25-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Your comment perfectly illustrates that the concept of “coolness” is completely subjective. Not all see geek culture as cool, and some would see it as the opposite of cool. Watch “Silicon Valley.”
I'd definitely consider it a component of coolness. I think of it something as contemporary life's vindication of the geek/nerd who was picked on all throughout elementary/high school and it was the athletes and jocks who were considered cool. Even if you don't see tech per se as cool, I'm pretty sure you consider at least some knowledge-based sectors cool, like life sciences/biotech. To me, this balances out the other side of coolness which is focused on the arts.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:26 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Philly is Philly. Chicago is Chicago. NYC is NYC. Who would want them all to be alike? Diversity is good. Let each be their own city with their own history, people, and industry. It is part of what makes his country exciting to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.