Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2021, 08:56 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,469,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I was raised in Philly and still have family there. Philly's proximity to NYC , some really rough areas near Center City (downtown), belligerent resident attitudes LOL (sports fans), financial woes of the past and racial issues its seems hurt its reputation. Since 1980, the city lost 500,000 residents, a quarter of its 2 million population of 40 years ago. THAT speaks volumes more than anything else. Chicago, NY, D.C. and Boston never saw that big an outmigration, maybe NYC came closest. NYC cleaned up faster though while Philly was still struggling.

However, within the past 8-9 years, Philly has stopped losing population. The downtown is as vibrant as ever. Its more affordable than D.C. NYC and Boston too and having five colleges there, draws in young adults.
Philadelphia's big population loss, like most industrial cities, was from the mid 20th century to the late 20th century. 1970 to 1980 was its biggest decade of loss. Our peak was over 2M in 1950, but we've been recovering population since 2000 and now sit close to 1.6M. It will be interesting to see how COVID impacts things for us.

Chicago's population peaked in the 1950s as well, at 3.6M. They are now at ~2.7M. That's nearly a 1M net loss, which is obviously more than Philadelphia, even accounting for scale.

So we weren't the only big city to hit hard times in the latter half of the 20th century. That shouldn't be news to anyone.

Also, there aren't really rough areas near Center City anymore. Closest that *could* qualify would be maybe the rougher parts of Point Breeze or Mantua. Neither are too bad in my opinion.

I don't think anyone in real life has too much of a complex about NYC, or would see it as a downside. Surely NYC will monopolize a few industries in which Philly is lacking, but otherwise, most people see it as a practical asset. As someone who loves to visit NYC, but wouldn't want to live there, despite loving urban living in Philadelphia, I love the access that I have to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 09:00 PM

7,303 posts, read 10,652,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
That's just a Florida thing. Florida never really shut down like other states did.
Yep. Which is really a reflection on how terribly Florida has handled everything (as opposed to commenting on how more responsible cities/states that are taking public health seriously have "less going on").

And the FL idiocy continues even now. But that's a whole other thread.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:11 PM

12,236 posts, read 8,149,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Philadelphia's big population loss, like most industrial cities, was from the mid 20th century to the late 20th century. 1970 to 1980 was its biggest decade of loss. Our peak was over 2M in 1950, but we've been recovering population since 2000 and now sit close to 1.6M. It will be interesting to see how COVID impacts things for us.

Chicago's population peaked in the 1950s as well, at 3.6M. They are now at ~2.7M. That's nearly a 1M net loss, which is obviously more than Philadelphia, even accounting for scale.

So we weren't the only big city to hit hard times in the latter half of the 20th century. That shouldn't be news to anyone.

Also, there aren't really rough areas near Center City anymore. Closest that *could* qualify would be maybe the rougher parts of Point Breeze or Mantua. Neither are too bad in my opinion.

I don't think anyone in real life has too much of a complex about NYC, or would see it as a downside. Surely NYC will monopolize a few industries in which Philly is lacking, but otherwise, most people see it as a practical asset. As someone who loves to visit NYC, but wouldn't want to live there, despite loving urban living in Philadelphia, I love the access that I have to NYC.
Yeah Philly's population loss was 20%. Boston actually had a larger drop, ~28-30%, and still is down 15% from the peak.

Philadelphia didn't lose as much as people think. Its just waiting for the rebound.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:35 PM

14,099 posts, read 15,132,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcBetrus View Post
Philly isn't considered cool? That would be news to me.

Maybe because this thread was started in 2013?? Philly is a great city. It's a great alternative to other expensive east coast cities like New York and DC.
No it isn’t. Neither is Chicago.

In my opinion what a cool city is is a city people move to then figure out the details of building a life later. That is LA, NYC, maybe Nashville and Atlanta.
M
People move to Chicago, Seattle, Philly, Boston or the Bay Area for a high paying good job.

People move to LA or NY, live with 5 roommates and be a bike corrier or bartender just to be in those places.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:24 PM

12,926 posts, read 9,687,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No it isn’t. Neither is Chicago.

In my opinion what a cool city is is a city people move to then figure out the details of building a life later. That is LA, NYC, maybe Nashville and Atlanta.
M
People move to Chicago, Seattle, Philly, Boston or the Bay Area for a high paying good job.

People move to LA or NY, live with 5 roommates and be a bike corrier or bartender just to be in those places.
How do you justify Atlanta over Chicago?

Old 08-06-2021, 11:46 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,283,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
How do you justify Atlanta over Chicago?
Hip hop and rap. No contest.
Really the whole music scene right now is red hot.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:08 AM

7,303 posts, read 10,652,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
LA and NYC have a near monopoly as cultural epicenters (Nashville and Atlanta don't come remotely close to either, although I recognize they have strong entertainment industry profiles).

At the end of the day, the conversation about "coolness" in 2021 just comes down to the best branding machines and biggest darlings of Instagram. It's actually pretty vapid and superficial.

Cities with the purest "coolness" are really those that are off-the-radar, at least in my book.

In Philly's case, it has quietly cultivated a very strong "scene" amongst the creative/artist subset--particularly amongst NYC expats--although getting to back to my point, it's not of the nationally-profiled pop culture variety.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-07-2021 at 07:25 AM..

Old 08-07-2021, 10:39 AM

1,377 posts, read 910,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Hip hop and rap. No contest.
Really the whole music scene right now is red hot.
ATL over Chicago because of trap music?

Old 08-07-2021, 11:08 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,283,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
ATL over Chicago because of trap music?
Absolutely. The talent and money flowing in to Atlanta right now is nuts. The whole strip club culture as the place where new music gets played is a thing. Hard to say if LA is even bigger at this point but it probably still is. I’d add the tech building is not nothing either.
What is Chicago all about these days?

Old 08-07-2021, 11:28 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,657,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Absolutely. The talent and money flowing in to Atlanta right now is nuts. The whole strip club culture as the place where new music gets played is a thing. Hard to say if LA is even bigger at this point but it probably still is. I’d add the tech building is not nothing either.
What is Chicago all about these days?
There's tv and than reality. Realistically most people moving to Atlanta are moving due to jobs and cost of living. The "cool factor" is an afterthought. And I'm a person who moved to Atlanta because of the entertainment industry. Yes there's a lot of people that move to Atlanta specifically for the entertainment industry. And there are cool things about Atlanta, but I tell people all the time Atlanta is also really regular. Strip club culture is not as ingrained in Atlanta culture as rap videos would have you believe.

That's why I tell people you want to get a glimpse of how Atlanta really is watch Childish Gambino show "Atlanta". It's a surreal show but it's the most accurate depiction of Atlanta. But I still find it hard to believe how Atlanta is cooler than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.