Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 04:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,231,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Philly is definitely cool... urban, great history and museums... and on and on. That said, it's just not big or renowned enough to compete with NYC or Chicago.

Im not sure who gets left out but I would make the argument Philly is one of the top 5 iconic cities in USA. NYC,LA,Chicago,SF,Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 05:06 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,080,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Im not sure who gets left out but I would make the argument Philly is one of the top 5 iconic cities in USA. NYC,LA,Chicago,SF,Philly.
Not really. I wouldnt go that far.

Its top 10 for sure icon wise. Top 5? No. I live right near Philadelphia and it rarely comes into discussion, outside the times I go to Princeton campus and meet people from right ver the border in Bucks County who commute.

New thought, put aside iconic. Moved on to Cool:
The 'cool' cities where people are heading to include Austin, Nashville, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Boston, Washington DC, LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, Portland OR, and Miami. I may be missing a city or two.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 08-18-2021 at 05:52 PM..

Old 08-18-2021, 05:38 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,130,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

Its top 10 for sure. Top 5? No. I live right near Philadelphia and it rarely comes into discussion, outside the times I go to Princeton campus and meet people from right ver the border in Bucks County who commute.

The 'cool' cities where people are heading to include Austin, Nashville, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Boston, Washington DC, LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, Portland OR, and Miami. I may be missing a city or two.
Portland definitely isn’t more iconic or renown as Philadelphia. You can make a case for the other cities but definitely not for Portland

Old 08-18-2021, 05:43 PM

12,883 posts, read 9,623,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I definitely agree with that as I strongly dislike NYC (haven't been to Chicago in years). But in terms of popularity on a national and global scale, NYC(#1) and Chicago(#2) take the cake. LA is also popular but for completely different reasons.

Coming from the Midwest (Twin Cities), out of all the east coast cities, Philly, followed by DC and Boston, interest me the most. The history of those cities trump NYC (in my opinion).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Portland definitely isn’t more iconic or renown as Philadelphia. You can make a case for the other cities but definitely not for Portland
Not even close. Portland may be "cooler," but as far as being iconic, Philly has to be top 7, Portland, top 20?

Old 08-18-2021, 05:50 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,080,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Yeah i said that.

I said Portland is cooler. Never said Portland was more iconic. They were in two separate paragraphs. So before I get attacked and this derails, lets set this straight. Philly i said was top 10 iconic wise. Portland OR is just “cooler” now.

Slow down there.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:55 PM

1,357 posts, read 892,881 times
I've always grouped Philly with NYC, Chicago, and LA as the main big cities in the USA.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah i said that.

I said Portland is cooler. Never said Portland was more iconic. They were in two separate paragraphs. So before I get attacked and this derails, lets set this straight. Philly i said was top 10 iconic wise. Portland OR is just “cooler” now.

Slow down there.
Don’t tell me to “slow down”. I’ve been civil and pretty relaxed on this site when people criticize Philadelphia, so you must have me confused with someone else.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Not even close. Portland may be "cooler," but as far as being iconic, Philly has to be top 7, Portland, top 20?
I don’t even agree with Portland being “cooler”, but since coolness is a matter of opinion I won’t/can’t debate it.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:09 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,640,923 times
Quote:

Its top 10 for sure icon wise. Top 5? No. I live right near Philadelphia and it rarely comes into discussion, outside the times I go to Princeton campus and meet people from right ver the border in Bucks County who commute.

New thought, put aside iconic. Moved on to Cool:
I know cool is subjective but cities like Austin/Nashville/ Seattle/Portland/San Francisco seem cool to mostly White hipsters. The Vice/Buzzfeed demographic. And that's cool but I don't really consider that demographic being the leader in what is "COOL".

I mean LA, Manhattan,Brooklyn,Miami "cool" looks a lot different than those cities and doesn't just overwhelmingly appeal to one demographic .

Can't speak on Boston or San Diego. Love DC, but would DC nationally be considered cool? Now me personally I felt Philly was a lot cooler than the Austins/Nashvilles and Portland type cities. I'm aware my demographic has something to do with that as well. Grit and all I think Philly is very underrated when it comes to how cool it is. Definitely a true authentic vibe in the city despite the grit and junkies in the streets.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:23 AM

7,893 posts, read 11,433,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
To each their own. Philadelphia's sense of place is light years ahead of any Sun Belt sprawl-burb, which are generic in every sense of the word.
I lived in Metro NYC and traveled to Philly often during my 6 years there. Loved Bucks county and along the Delaware River. But winters last too long and the cost of things is higher than its worth to me. Its good we dont like the same climate, amenities etc are we would all be too crowded like the NE and West Coast.

Cities are utilities to me. That is are they good for the people who live there. Good jobs, safe places, conveniences and outdoor space such as golf etc which are good and reasonable cost.

My brothers daughter attended Swarthmore and has lived in Philly for 5 years now. She grew up in Manhattan where my younger brother has lived since 1970. So I know a little about it. Very pretty up that way just not my cup of tea. We are deprived in the so called flyover country I never see a personality or vibe in a city like you cool ones seem to. Some almost seem to worship cities and their sky scrapers and trains, I dont.
Enjoy

I like where I am now.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 08-19-2021 at 07:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.