Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 11:20 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It brings me to a few questions:
-Is the super close proximity to NYC really a good thing for Philadelphia?
-How corrupt are the city officials in Philadelphia?
-Do universities like Temple, Villanova Drexel, UPenn, and nearby Princeton retain students in PHL area after graduating? Are there a lot of opportunities?

- No. The only reason the NEC exists is when colonists came here they were by horse-drawn carriage. And the mid-Atlantic, Northeast was where they first landed. Back then it was far. Now we have technology that makes distances easier to traverse. As a result, people have been spreading across our very large country, which should be expected when technology allows us to A) live further from jobs and resources like grocery stores B) talk to our family without seeing them in person C) A plethora of jobs that no longer require people to be in certain areas D) handle certain climates and weather patterns better. Guarantee that if the colonists landed along the Gulf first we'd see a Gulf Coast Corridor with major cities like Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, and Tampa.

- No idea.

- It's hard to say. When I look at jobs in my field, I see a lot more in NYC, DC and Boston than I do the Philly area. Those new graduates probably see the same thing, but I know it can be industry specific.

Circling back to my first point, some of those Northeast/Midwest cities that were around the longest were bound to lose when we expanded West and South and industries that are geographic specific (mining, farming, logistics etc.) pulled people to move there and develop their own cities in those regions. For example the rise of Phoenix, Atlanta, Houston, Seattle and Denver came at the price of cities of Philadelphia and other cities like it. There are only so many people, only so much room for companies to exist in markets, etc.

Philadelphia is an old city, and as a result has the bones of a great city. That's why it's so loved on this forum, it's got tons of townhouses everywhere, a well developed Center City, tons of public transportation. But we tend to forget that C-D posters are often a minority. People move to where there is better climate (in their opinion), better economic opportunities, cheaper cost of living, safer neighborhoods, etc. with a complete disregard on how many skyscrapers or how many trains they have. They largely abandoned these cities in the cold and snowy north for places out west and south due to the promise of new jobs in new companies, in new industries, and opportunities to own property.

When comparing Philadelphia to NYC or DC or Boston, the weather is about the same or very close, both have lots of public transit and urban structures (for people who want that), and it's fairly easy to get to all the cities via Amtrak. Why should I pick Philadelphia, when NYC exists? NYC has about the same weather and then more of that city thing going on for obvious reasons, on top of more jobs. Boston IMO is far enough away from NYC to gain some of it's own influence which is why they didn't fall from this.

Philadelphia's greatest con is being next to the NYC sphere of influence. Just like how San Diego won't be a big player, when LA exists. Or Tucson to Phoenix. Or Tacoma to Seattle. Philadelphia, if it were literally anywhere else, would be a "cool" and fantastic city loved by many. It's just that it's too comparable to NYC, and too close to it, that it often loses out to NYC on almost anything.

If you look outside of the US, try to identify other corridors like this with large cities (not sharing a CSA) almost all within 100 miles apart from each other give or take. 3+ cities. Not only is this incredibly rare to find, if you do, there will be a significant population disparity between some of them. The reason it's rare is because cities that close together are often competing for resources on water, electricity, population, economics, etc. and if it exists there's still a city that is doing better.

If the US developed organically like Europe or Asia I guarantee Philadelphia would be miniscule maybe 1/5 of it's size or less instead of the way it actually did where everything was constrained to the 13 colonies. If you look at Europe, full of much smaller countries that are very developed, you will find that basically none of their major cities are less than 100 miles apart, much less a corridor of them. Some that come close (again still more than 100 miles) to that are separated by a geopolitical border (different countries). Factoring in that Europe was war-torn for many centuries is probably a reason for this, as it used to be every city for themselves for a while. The US was only war-torn with itself once, and it had large geographic boundaries between the Confederacy and the Union. Philly's existence as it is in the modern day has more to do with it's legacy, and it's history of being more old world design, than anything of actual modern relevance for example a logistical need for a city here (like Chicago or Atlanta), a hub for agriculture (like Phoenix), a hub for mining (like Denver) a port city (like Seattle or Miami). Boston and DC are on the tail ends of the Bos-Wash corridor, which makes sense as they are far apart. Then for the cities in the middle... there is one that is favored and favored so largely it wipes out everything else, NYC. The distance from NYC to Boston is ~200 miles give or take, and NYC to Baltimore/DC is also ~200 miles. This is comparable to other "corridors" in the US, like the Texas Triangle (all of them are approximately 200 miles apart, San Antonio and Austin are less than this obviously and it's up for debate which one will have more influence. I think Austin will surpass San Antonio soon if it hasn't already despite San Antonio's deep history in Texas), Florida (Miami to Tampa to Jacksonville is 200-300 miles. Orlando being in the middle and approximately 100 miles from Tampa is often considered under the influence of Tampa moreso than the other way around). History shows that at least 200 miles apart for cities can show sufficient independence from influential spheres from other cities, and this also applies in other parts of the world. Europe is a great example, as well as populous countries like China, Japan, and India.

This isn't a rag on Philadelphia. It sounds like a lovely city to live in. But it's best amenities are man-made. Phoenix and Houston could offer the same thing, if the cities committed themselves to it (please don't get me started on this tangent). Meanwhile these other cities offer things that man cannot provide, more favorable weather, different natural recreation, ports, etc. For the record Philly does provide these things, but so does NYC at a better quantity. This is what I mean when I said earlier "if Philadelphia was literally anywhere else, it would be an extremely cool and popular place to live." Like if Philadelphia was where Dallas is for example, I guarantee everyone would be talking about how Dallas is one of the coolest cities in the country, and I guarantee that Austin would not have been a tech hub, those jobs would've gone to Dallas instead.

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 09-09-2021 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 11:45 AM

626 posts, read 463,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Boston is a far more global/more recognized place than Philadelphia. Name recognition and reputation play a lot.
But how many different things do you think the average person around the world knows about Boston? I'm guessing it's a lot less than you think they know?

Old 09-09-2021, 12:47 PM

965 posts, read 723,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Top 37 World Cities. Random survey of World Cities

NYC- 5
Chicago 12
Boston 22

Philadlephia doesnt make the cut. Philadlephia is NYC/CHI lite +Boston on steroids. Not sure why Boston makes a World list but Philadelphia does not. Philadlephia for whatever reason does not rank well globally. The core of Philly makes Boston look like a college town.

https://www.timeout.com/things-to-do...s-in-the-world
Ehhh, I think Philly's a great city, but I definitely don't think it's core blows away Boston. I actually think Boston's core is a bit nicer over a larger area when you throw in places like Brookline, Cambridge or Somerville (which most people would assume are parts of the city of Boston as they would be in most other large cities seeing as you can basically walk to them from the back bay).

Overall I consider these two cities peers, with Philly being a bit larger and Boston being a bit nicer. Philly's more fun and Boston's more buttoned up. I think the global reputation is probably based around colleges and as a center for tech/biotech (Moderna being the latest). And it's significantly more expensive - this would be an extremely dumb reason but I'm sure contributes to "perception".

Old 09-09-2021, 02:26 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
Ehhh, I think Philly's a great city, but I definitely don't think it's core blows away Boston. I actually think Boston's core is a bit nicer over a larger area when you throw in places like Brookline, Cambridge or Somerville (which most people would assume are parts of the city of Boston as they would be in most other large cities seeing as you can basically walk to them from the back bay).

Overall I consider these two cities peers, with Philly being a bit larger and Boston being a bit nicer. Philly's more fun and Boston's more buttoned up. I think the global reputation is probably based around colleges and as a center for tech/biotech (Moderna being the latest). And it's significantly more expensive - this would be an extremely dumb reason but I'm sure contributes to "perception".
I think that's a very fair/accurate assessment.

I will say, to the point of the Time Out survey that revived this thread, Philadelphia was actually ranked 16th in this very survey as of 2019: https://6abc.com/best-cities-in-the-...ranks/5191419/

Just as all other city rankings/surveys, they very much tend to be much more of an "art" than a "science."

Old 09-09-2021, 02:37 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
But how many different things do you think the average person around the world knows about Boston? I'm guessing it's a lot less than you think they know?
Look at the last page for dialogue and my response to the question tying in airport routes, recognition, rankings on global metrics including innovation etc others brought in.

Best

Old 09-09-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post

Bostons core is more polished, a bit nicer… but more town like i feel. I feel it looks oddly suburban in a lot of Boston’s core even with ppsm densities over 10k

Philadelphia has a more NYC feel for a good bit longer. Its more urban for a longer period where Boston kind of dies. A lot of Boston’s core got sterilized too. Anywhere USA. Philadelphia has a bit more character nowadays.

But i agree with your last point. Universities propelled Bostons name globally and it grew on that.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:48 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
All of this can be summarized into:

Isolation
Education density
128 Corridor
Puritans vs Quakers
Land constraints
Philadelphia being blacker
Crime Rates

All of this, it's apparent on why/how Boston earned it's 'cool' status over Philadelphia
In what world is Boston cosidered cool?

Old 09-09-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In what world is Boston cosidered cool?
Those kids in the south end and seaport would like to think so.

And i think ashby typod. He meant global

Old 09-09-2021, 03:56 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I know cool is subjective but cities like Austin/Nashville/ Seattle/Portland/San Francisco seem cool to mostly White hipsters. The Vice/Buzzfeed demographic. And that's cool but I don't really consider that demographic being the leader in what is "COOL".

I mean LA, Manhattan,Brooklyn,Miami "cool" looks a lot different than those cities and doesn't just overwhelmingly appeal to one demographic .

Can't speak on Boston or San Diego. Love DC, but would DC nationally be considered cool? Now me personally I felt Philly was a lot cooler than the Austins/Nashvilles and Portland type cities. I'm aware my demographic has something to do with that as well. Grit and all I think Philly is very underrated when it comes to how cool it is. Definitely a true authentic vibe in the city despite the grit and junkies in the streets.

Demographic probably definitely has something to do with it, and probably depends on who you talk to. For people in my demographic the most well known "cool" major cities in the Eastern US are NYC, Miami, DC, ATL, Chicago. Philly is often brought up as a place to hit up and go see, but after all of those.

Not everybody is into that "grit" factor honestly, or at least people would like some type of in between balance. Philly crosses the border though, from grit to just absolute urban blight, and it's to a level that you don't see mostly in those aforementioned cities. Center City and UC are fine, but once you branch off outside of those areas a lot of the "coolness" factor or vibe evaporates, especially going into North Philly.

I literally was on the phone hours ago with a cousin of mine who DJ's before even seeing this thread. He brought up a show he did in Philly a couple years ago pre-pandemic, and gawked at how rough parts of the city looks/is, and the swarms of junkies walking around outside after the show. He lives in a moderate income area of DC, and even he felt out of place there. Overall I find it to be a worthwhile and worth mentioning/being in the conversation regarding coolness (Philadelphia). It's just that a lot of other places come to mind first, but I respect all that Philly offers and can't wait to see it get better.

DC is way too slept on this website when it comes to local culture. It's a tier one city much like Chicago, NYC, LA, SF. I wouldn't say it's top of that tier with those cities, but it's leveled up to a point where being in DC is more like being in one of those cities on a smaller scale, than it is in a Philly or Detroit, even Houston. DC's outgrown most other cities in it's tier, and has had the hottest food scene on the East Coast for a decade plus now. DC's also received the most international immigration, and regularly sees the most international tourists in the Eastern US after NYC and Miami. I don't even think that its "cool factor" is a debate. And I'm not alone in that....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...cef_story.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...-coolest-city/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-d-c-is-cool

All and all what's deemed to be "cool" is very much subjective to who's describing what that word means to them.

Last edited by the resident09; 09-09-2021 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-09-2021, 04:19 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Demographic probably definitely has something to do with it, and probably depends on who you talk to. For people in my demographic the most well known "cool" major cities in the Eastern US are NYC, Miami, DC, ATL, Chicago. Philly is often brought up as a place to hit up and go see, but after all of those.

Not everybody is into that "grit" factor honestly, or at least people would like some type of in between balance. Philly crosses the border though, from grit to just absolute urban blight, and it's to a level that you don't see mostly in those aforementioned cities. Center City and UC are fine, but once you branch off outside of those areas a lot of the "coolness" factor or vibe evaporates, especially going into North Philly.

I literally was on the phone hours ago with a cousin of mine who DJ's before even seeing this thread. He brought up a show he did in Philly a couple years ago pre-pandemic, and gawked at how rough parts of the city looks/is, and the swarms of junkies walking around outside after the show. He lives in a moderate income area of DC, and even he felt out of place there. Overall I find it to be a worthwhile and worth mentioning/being in the conversation regarding coolness (Philadelphia). It's just that a lot of other places come to mind first, but I respect all that Philly offers and can't wait to see it get better.

DC is way too slept on this website when it comes to local culture. It's a tier one city much like Chicago, NYC, LA, SF. I wouldn't say it's top of that tier with those cities, but it's leveled up to a point where being in DC is more like being in one of those cities on a smaller scale, than it is in a Philly or Detroit, even Houston. DC's outgrown most other cities in it's tier, and has had the hottest food scene on the East Coast for a decade plus now. DC's also received the most international immigration, and regularly sees the most international tourists in the Eastern US after NYC and Miami. I don't even think that its "cool factor" is a debate. And I'm not alone in that....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...cef_story.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...-coolest-city/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-d-c-is-cool
Lol SF gentrified all of its local black culture out decades ago. DC is tiers above it in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.