Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: final decision--city of 2014 and beyond!
Portland, OR 8 15.38%
Seattle, WA 22 42.31%
Austin, TX 15 28.85%
Chicago, IL 12 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 PM

130 posts, read 207,355 times

Advertisements

@grapico, exactly. i'm not "sold" on any of these cities. moving is such a big, expensive ordeal. i don't really feel like moving unless i'm sure i can come back (i'm not sure if i'd be able to as the chicago market is saturated)...and i really don't like wasting money. as fun and exciting as it may be the first half yr or so, i think i'd probably get tired of it eventually possibly, which is what i'm afraid of. i'm trying to avoid moving from place to place, but in a way, i feel like it's inevitable. you never know until you experience it how it's going to be....

the only city i've ever really wanted to live in recently is london. and i can't really move there with my job, even though i can move to every other part of the u.s. almost... san diego sounds just like my cup of tea, too. i love warm, beautiful weather, and being able to run year round. santa monica sounds amazing.

@minervah, my income is the same, at least as seattle and austin. it's just the 10% income tax that will knock off a huge chunk of my paycheck. but yeah, living in a city w/a depressed economy sounds unappealing... however, being close to the coast, natural beauty, friendly, likeminded ppl, independent businesses, and exploring hobbies like KITE SURFING, hiking, wineries, etc sounds amazing...

Last edited by JMT; 01-09-2014 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 09:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gookgette View Post
@grapico, exactly. i'm not "sold" on any of these cities. moving is such a big, expensive ordeal. i don't really feel like moving unless i'm sure i can come back (i'm not sure if i'd be able to as the chicago market is saturated)...and i really don't like wasting money. as fun and exciting as it may be the first half yr or so, i think i'd probably get tired of it eventually possibly, which is what i'm afraid of. i'm trying to avoid moving from place to place, but in a way, i feel like it's inevitable. you never know until you experience it how it's going to be....

the only city i've ever really wanted to live in recently is london. and i can't really move there with my job, even though i can move to every other part of the u.s. almost... san diego sounds just like my cup of tea, too. i love warm, beautiful weather, and being able to run year round. santa monica sounds amazing.

@minervah, my income is the same, at least as seattle and austin. it's just the 10% income tax that will knock off a huge chunk of my paycheck. but yeah, living in a city w/a depressed economy sounds unappealing... however, being close to the coast, natural beauty, friendly, likeminded ppl, independent businesses, and exploring hobbies like KITE SURFING, hiking, wineries, etc sounds amazing...
Then I am going to reiterate and suggest Seattle. You will be nearer the coast, economy not repressed, more liberal people and all the other stuff plus just more of everything you are looking for. Larger city, more options. Whatever you mean by likeminded people, you can find those and the opposite everywhere you go.

As I said, I don't think you are being practical and that can cause a huge disappointment and cause you to choose the wrong place. You are going in circles. Perhaps hoping people will tell you what you secretly hope to hear but is what hasn't been suggested?

Okay, here's a suggestion. Pretend you have made your choice. Pick each city as if it were IT. Now sit down and make a list. On your list write the name of the city on the top. Use a spreadsheet if you like that type of thing.

On the list write down these things:

City One:Portland- City Two: Seattle- City Three: Austin

Rent:

House purchase:

Food:

Transportation:

Utilities:

Taxes:

Entertainment:

Clothes:

Medical:

Now think of your salary and how much of it will cover all these things.

After you figure them out and decide which is best, then figure out how where the entertainment is and how far. What kind of social life is available and so forth. Maybe you have done this but I haven't seen you post it in any of your threads other than maybe the taxes.

Last edited by JMT; 01-09-2014 at 04:12 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
From reading your posts, it seems that you have basically talked yourself into Seattle, but you are looking for affirmation from everybody here.

I say, go for it. Unless, of course, you want to still be in Chicago thinking about it ten years from now.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:20 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
If your not sold, don't go. I'd certainly entertain other options even if not in the "heart" of cities ... in other areas before moving somebody you aren't sure about. Making 10k (or whatever value) more in one place isn't going to help if you don't like it. But, I've always chosen cities I liked over general practicality/long term savings.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:18 PM

this negative 13 degree weather is making me suicidal. i've been sick 3 times this year. my hands were so cold they started to throb!! it's obscene. inhumane, really! i can't stand the midwest winters anymore. anyone who says it's dumb to move for the weather hasn't experienced these extreme temps. ...which scares me about Austin, too. Portland sounds lovely and green, and my cup of tea. I'm not too worried about the finances, @minervah, b/c, I do make six figures regardless of where i go, I just will save less and put less towards my student loans if the taxes are high. I know you told me PDX's economy is awful and there are no jobs, and I probably will have trouble meeting a gainfully employed man, but it sounds like a fun place to live when I'm still young and unattached. The culture and QOL and lifestyle appeal to me.

i'm not sold with any of the cities, @grapico...but i like to explore and live in different places. i don't think one really knows until they try it out. the main deterrent is that moving is EXPENSIVE!! i don't know what to do... i guess no place is perfect. my family means a lot to me, and my loved ones, who are nearby. that's the only reason i'm here... plus i have good relations w/my boss and co-workers, and make a lot more money here. things are going well here... but i don't know when will feel like the right time to leave? in another yr, i'll be 33. ugh. i feel like i'm fighting time and my bio clock. if i was in my 20s, i'd stay in chicago longer. but now that i'm in my 30s, i'm anxious to find a city to call "home."

Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Then by all means, move to Portland. None of your choices will be perfect. You have to pick one and no matter what anyone says, you always come up a reason why you don't want that city. Your are always saying Portland is what you really want so taxes or not, that's where you should be. Everyone else manages the taxes you can survive them too.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
I suggest going to whatever city has a large number of good psychologists. It sounds like you have poor coping mechanisms if a little cold weather is making you suicidal.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:32 AM

Moving to a city for "the culture and the lifestyle" can have some huge pitfalls. Those are not great reasons to choose a city to relocate to. No one city is any one thing.

Many young people move to Portland thinking their lives will be a continual episode of the show "Portlandia." Nothing could be farther from the truth. On the whole, people are going to be pretty much the same as anywhere else. Some are liberal some not. Some are open-mined some are not. This city is not made up of any one type of people. There are all types here and some are very judgmental if you don't follow their beliefs liberal or conservative. Just as in any other place.

If you look at the Portland forum you will see the biggest complaint of new, young transplants is connecting with people. Time and time again they complain that their co-workers and neighbors aren't friendly and ask for suggestions as to how to meet people. A big question what kind of meet-up groups are there.

There is a definite difference between the warm, friendly open people of the Midwest, and I am from Chicago so I know about people there, and the more reserved introverted people of the PNW. There are no welcome wagons. People aren't anxious to be your friends. A newcomer has to be very extroverted and take initiative when it comes to making friends and getting into a social circle. It takes time too.
I understand Seattle is similar with the well-known title "Seattle Freeze."

If you have friends here already that's half the battle I supposed. But if you want to make more, you had better adopt a more positive and independent attitude. All of your posts indicate your personality is just not one that will mesh with the type of people with whom you might want to pursue your friendships and definitely not relationships with mature men.

I have friends in Texas and have visited Dallas and San Antonio. If Austin is as friendly as those places I would suggest that to be the city for you. People might not have been friendly in one store but that's not the same as living there just as living in Portland or Seattle where people were being friendly to you on a visit might be a superficial thing and not meet your expectations a continued basis of friendship if you move here. There is a difference between "friendly" and "friends."

Also, I agree with Cleverfield, if cold weather has that much of an effect on you in the Midwest, I hate to think of what the dark, overcast days would do to you in the PNW.

If all this sounds harsh, I am sorry. People are trying to help but to no avail. You are not helping yourself. Maybe some professional help would be a good idea to help you make up your mind. You obviously have some issues that aren't going to be resolved in multiple posts and PM's on multiple Internet message boards.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 AM

hmm thanks, cleverfield. so "clever." actually, i am not suicidal. i was exaggerating. this weather sucks, though. i spent 2 hours trying to dig my car out and get ahold of AAA. the wait time in chicago is 12 hours~! if you think cleveland/chicago weather is tolerable, you're crazy. but to each his own. not to mention, this towing guy is charging $350!! chicago prices are ridiculous!!

@minervah, i'm indecisive. probably b/c i have other stuff going on and people that i love that i'll be leaving behind, that's why. worried about my family, etc. it's probably not a good idea for me to move right now. plus, i'd rather make more and pay off my student loan debt as i'm doing here. i know portland hasn't been what you expected the last few years, but that doesn't mean it won't work out for everybody. the lower wages is something to contemplate. but i'm fortunate to work in a job with steady, high-paying wages.

sun does not equal happiness, so i don't know why people equate the sun with happiness. this cold weather equates to depression more so than rain and overcast skies, no? I think most people would agree with me. The midwest cold is far, far, far worse than overcast skies for long periods of time. I'm sure of it. At least temperate conditions would be more conducive to running and outdoor activities.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gookgette View Post
hmm thanks, cleverfield. so "clever." actually, i am not suicidal. i was exaggerating. this weather sucks, though. i spent 2 hours trying to dig my car out and get ahold of AAA. the wait time in chicago is 12 hours~! if you think cleveland/chicago weather is tolerable, you're crazy. but to each his own. not to mention, this towing guy is charging $350!! chicago prices are ridiculous!!

@minervah, i'm indecisive. probably b/c i have other stuff going on and people that i love that i'll be leaving behind, that's why. worried about my family, etc. it's probably not a good idea for me to move right now. plus, i'd rather make more and pay off my student loan debt as i'm doing here. i know portland hasn't been what you expected the last few years, but that doesn't mean it won't work out for everybody. the lower wages is something to contemplate. but i'm fortunate to work in a job with steady, high-paying wages.

sun does not equal happiness, so i don't know why people equate the sun with happiness. this cold weather equates to depression more so than rain and overcast skies, no? I think most people would agree with me. The midwest cold is far, far, far worse than overcast skies for long periods of time. I'm sure of it. At least temperate conditions would be more conducive to running and outdoor activities.
The towing charge is only $350? That's hella cheap. It used to be in the $600-800 dollar range for Seattle. Too many people complained, so the Seattle City Council had to cap the price recently. But people are still complaining as Seattle parking situation is such a parking Nazi deal.

As for the "depression", you're apparently and completely overlooking all the S.A.D. threads that are in both Portland and Seattle. Not to say you'll definitely have it, but don't underscore its true effects as it could be a possibility. As to whether it's more "conducive"... can you handle cold and wet? Some don't mind and others do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.