Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: final decision--city of 2014 and beyond!
Portland, OR 8 15.38%
Seattle, WA 22 42.31%
Austin, TX 15 28.85%
Chicago, IL 12 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 01:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gookgette View Post
hmm thanks, cleverfield. so "clever." actually, i am not suicidal. i was exaggerating. this weather sucks, though. i spent 2 hours trying to dig my car out and get ahold of AAA. the wait time in chicago is 12 hours~! if you think cleveland/chicago weather is tolerable, you're crazy. but to each his own. not to mention, this towing guy is charging $350!! chicago prices are ridiculous!!

@minervah, i'm indecisive. probably b/c i have other stuff going on and people that i love that i'll be leaving behind, that's why. worried about my family, etc. it's probably not a good idea for me to move right now. plus, i'd rather make more and pay off my student loan debt as i'm doing here. i know portland hasn't been what you expected the last few years, but that doesn't mean it won't work out for everybody. the lower wages is something to contemplate. but i'm fortunate to work in a job with steady, high-paying wages.

sun does not equal happiness, so i don't know why people equate the sun with happiness. this cold weather equates to depression more so than rain and overcast skies, no? I think most people would agree with me. The midwest cold is far, far, far worse than overcast skies for long periods of time. I'm sure of it. At least temperate conditions would be more conducive to running and outdoor activities.
It isn't what I expected. My expectations of Portland are just fine. But I told you of my history previously. This is just confirms my suspicion that you ask and ask the same questions over and over again on your many posts and multiple threads on multiple forums but are not really listening to the answers given.

I relocated to Portland nearly 35 years ago. I am simply stating what recent young transplants are saying on the CD Portland forum within the last decade or so. That's where you should be continuing your discussions. And on the other forums for the other cities you are considering. You are not going to get accurate advice about cities from people who do not live there currently.

I fear you will move to a place and the first sign of difficulties, which will be bound to happen because no place is perfect, rather than trying to solve the problem, you will instead spend your energy regretting you did not make another choice.

I tried but I don't think any advice I can give you will help any more and quite frankly, I don't think anyone can either. So I really, truly wish you the best of luck in your decision whatever it turns out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 01:42 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
The decision has to come from you, no one else can make it for you, and you should be able to justify your decision to yourself. Every place has pros and cons, but you just have to find the place with the best pro-con balance for you. For instance, you might hate the winter in Chicago, but love the friendliness of the people, the good public transit, and the pleasant summers. How much those things matter to you is completely subjective and none of us can tell you what matters to you. If you don't know what matters to you, I suggest you start examining that. Sometimes it takes life experience to learn what matters to you though. Maybe take a chance, move somewhere, and if you don't like it move again. Life is a journey, and we learn from our mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.