Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:01 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Please tell me what it is about inner city Richmond that makes it "southern". From what I'm gathering, you seem to be holding onto the historical notion of the city being southern. Both Baltimore and DC were once considered southern cities, but have been assimilated into the NE corridor in terms of culture and that's the direction Richmond is heading in. Norfolk which is just a few latitudes south of Richmond can't even be considered southern culturally due to the amount of transient presence.
That's on top of the fact that they have yet to support why Richmond is "pretty high up there" in terms of being the most southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 PM

150 posts, read 382,226 times
Murder Capitals

Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,943,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
Murder Capitals
Can I use your time machine?

Old 01-12-2014, 09:20 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I like New Orleans 9th ward it feels like a geechie version of North Philly.....
Geechie? That's the SC/GA Lowcountry (e.g., Charleston, Beaufort, GA Sea Islands), not NOLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I don't think Richmond is the 'most southern' city, but it is certainly pretty high up there on the list. I just don't understand why people are so quick to dismiss southern culture bc it's 'changing'. Gentrification and urban revitalization are not northern phenomena. They exist in every city on the globe. If Richmond is changing. It is merely becoming a 21st century representation of a southern city. Again, look at nola, Atlanta, Nashville, charleston, etc. All of these cities are revitalizing in an urban way but by no means are they 'northern'.
Agreed.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:37 AM

114 posts, read 171,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Both of them seem like total shiitholes whenever I drive through them.
Unfortunately for both Richmond and Baltimore, 95 passes through some pretty crappy areas and if that's all you see, you get a pretty poor perception of them.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:23 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wood View Post
Unfortunately for both Richmond and Baltimore, 95 passes through some pretty crappy areas and if that's all you see, you get a pretty poor perception of them.
Hmmm...I don't necessarily recall that driving through either, particularly Richmond. You get a nice skyline view and you may bypass an industrial area or two, but by and large, I think 95 gives you a good view of the city. I especially like passing the Main Street Station:

Old 01-12-2014, 11:57 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Wood View Post
Somewhat true regarding Baltimore. I haven't been in Richmond in years though. From 95, you can see the skyline and Inner Harbor area, then some nice looking rowhouse nabes that might going through gentrification, then you start to see a few working class looking areas, then you see some industrial land, then some pretty dodgy, run down looking nabes, and getting close to Baltimore County, I remember seeing a large shopping center with Bmore city limits. I wonder if that was the Mondawin Mall.

Last edited by tcave360; 01-12-2014 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 01:22 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Somewhat true regarding Baltimore. I haven't been in Richmond in years though. From 95, you can see the skyline and Inner Harbor area, then some nice looking rowhouse nabes that might going through gentrification, then you start to see a few working class looking areas, then you see some industrial land, then some pretty dodgy, run down looking nabes, and getting close to Baltimore County, I remember seeing a large shopping center with Bmore city limits. I wonder if that was the Mondawin Mall.
Lol @ Mondawmin. You won't see Mondawmin from 95; White Marsh is the only mall that can be seen from 95.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:34 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I don't think Richmond is the 'most southern' city, but it is certainly pretty high up there on the list. I just don't understand why people are so quick to dismiss southern culture bc it's 'changing'. Gentrification and urban revitalization are not northern phenomena. They exist in every city on the globe. If Richmond is changing. It is merely becoming a 21st century representation of a southern city. Again, look at nola, Atlanta, Nashville, charleston, etc. All of these cities are revitalizing in an urban way but by no means are they 'northern'.
Richmond, Baltimore, and DC are the 21st Century Representation of the Upper Southern Cities aka the DMV.......

Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I just wish they would have completed I-70 and I-83 through Baltimore City.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.