Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:02 PM

48 posts, read 208,580 times

Advertisements

Well, I posted a couple months back looking for an art city. Thank you for your responses but my focus has changed now that I'm actually back in the US. I knew I would be required to leave my cherished home in Europe, the result of the dissolution of my marriage to a Scandinavian. Now I am back after 2 yrs in Denmark and miss the lifestyle so much I have a hole in my gut that just won't go away. I am temporarily stationed at my mother's house in Georgia while I search and it's hell. I tried to ride my bike to the grocery store that is 1 minute away and almost got ran over. I never realized how bad the driving was and throw a biker in there and it's like playing an arcade game with your life. There are no parks to walk in, no progressive urban planning, no good coffee shops, no privately owned unique stores, no walkable areas at all (I hate cars), nothing charming. My choices are Superwalmart, Olive Garden, Home Depot, etc (can someone please shoot me?) I miss being able to bike or bus everywhere safely, the recycling, the organic food...I even miss the cold rain. Of course things like universal health coverage don't exist in the US (nor paternity leave, or 6 wks vacation, or 4 months severance pay...or University education for every child..I can go on and on) so I know there is no real European substitute, but I will settle for anything that can come remotely close. I don't care about high taxes, high cost of living, bad weather...it will be worth it to me. The search goes on but I need to jump in and make a move, I just need your advice.

Last edited by jt1033; 09-06-2007 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
A city or town along the coastal areas of Maine would fit your description. Many of these towns have a strong European flavor with historic architecture. The Atlantic Ocean is quite nice along with some Scandinavian scenery nearby depending on the area.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-06-2007 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-06-2007, 02:21 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,957,285 times
Move to Boston.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:28 PM

38 posts, read 234,877 times
Dude, you pretty much described Portland, Oregon to a T. Portland has:

-Lots of parks to walk in
-Some of the most progressive urban planning in the US
-Great coffee shops (and brewpubs)
-A good deal of privately owned, unique stores
-Lots of very walkable areas
-Excellent public transit, along with bike friendliness
-Extensive curbside recycling
-Lots of organic and/or health food options when shopping
-Even cold rain in the winter (maybe not quite as cold as Denmark)

Ive keep hearing that Portland has a very European feel to it (although I couldnt say, seeing as how Ive only been to London). You should really check out Portland if you havent already.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:26 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,256 times
You of course have cities like San Francisco, New York and Boston that are nice if only for their density. Washington mimics European cities in that they do not have skyscrapers and retain alot of their old architecture. Portland and Seattle closely mimic cities like Vancouver. They are generally well planned, Liberal, walkable, et. cetera. Minneapolis has a good core city and is populated with alot of Scandinavian blood. The highest populations of Norwegians and Swedes are in the Upper Midwest. Also look into Chicago, Philadelphia, Baltimore.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:14 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Portland, Oregon
Portland, Maine
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Old 09-08-2007, 01:57 AM

268 posts, read 1,200,240 times
I realize that what you are most likely after is a larger city. However, the closest place to Denmark that I know of is a town called Solvang, CA. It was founded in 1911 by Danish-Americans from the Midwest. It was built to resemble a traditional Danish village as a way of promoting, preserving, and teaching about their Danish heritage.

The Santa Ynez Valley, in which it is located is quite a beautiful setting. It is also home to a thriving wine industry and one of the original Spanish founded missions is there as well. The towns surrounding Solvang are quaint and have unique restaurants, stores and art galleries. You are also only 30 minutes north of Santa Barbara.

I can understand that some might find Solvang cheesy, but it's not like you would have to live right in it. Any of the towns nearby would be great, especially Santa Barbara, and with the proximity to the ocean, the weather will be more temperate than other places. So, check the area out. You might find that it suits your requirements.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:53 AM

48 posts, read 232,440 times
jt1033, I really understand your pain even tho I've never been to Denmark...I think all the suggestions you have received so far are pretty good and will get you close to that type of environment, but even so, without the Danish people and culture won't this just be like a movie set? I understand those things you miss, but you also miss the society that values those things. Even tho Seattle and Portland , etc. have the "look" of that lifestyle, it's still America. Best of luck and best wishes on your search. And if you ever find that place here in the US- write me!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,400,746 times
Best guess for a city like Denmark for me would have to be a city in either the Northeast or Upper Midwest. Places like the Twin Cities and Cleveland and Boston come to mind.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:34 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1033 View Post
Well, I posted a couple months back looking for an art city. Thank you for your responses but my focus has changed now that I'm actually back in the US. I knew I would be required to leave my cherished home in Europe, the result of the dissolution of my marriage to a Scandinavian. Now I am back after 2 yrs in Denmark and miss the lifestyle so much I have a hole in my gut that just won't go away. I am temporarily stationed at my mother's house in Georgia while I search and it's hell. I tried to ride my bike to the grocery store that is 1 minute away and almost got ran over. I never realized how bad the driving was and throw a biker in there and it's like playing an arcade game with your life. There are no parks to walk in, no progressive urban planning, no good coffee shops, no privately owned unique stores, no walkable areas at all (I hate cars), nothing charming. My choices are Superwalmart, Olive Garden, Home Depot, etc (can someone please shoot me?) I miss being able to bike or bus everywhere safely, the recycling, the organic food...I even miss the cold rain. Of course things like universal health coverage don't exist in the US (nor paternity leave, or 6 wks vacation, or 4 months severance pay...or University education for every child..I can go on and on) so I know there is no real European substitute, but I will settle for anything that can come remotely close. I don't care about high taxes, high cost of living, bad weather...it will be worth it to me. The search goes on but I need to jump in and make a move, I just need your advice.
Where did you live in Denmark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.