Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Solvang California Photos of Solvang Area
Yes, Solvang. (I was wondering if anyone would mention it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:26 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Holland, MI, Traverse City, MI

Old 10-06-2009, 01:24 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
Just thought I'd mention that my friend's mother is Danish, and she's lived in SF for 20 years now, so she must like it.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:51 AM

594 posts, read 1,199,666 times
Boston

Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 PM

7 posts, read 26,841 times
Default Strong Danish Legacy

Hi,
I read with interest your comments. There is a strong past history of Danes in Racine, Wisconsin. It has a quaint artistic downtown with much cultural flair. Its not a perfect city, but it has some fantastic amenities like nationally recognized clean beaches, historic areas and its home of the Danish Kringle. Cost of living is very cheap compared to the East and West coastal areas. I live here and enjoy it. We welcome you!

Old 12-25-2009, 04:26 PM

845 posts, read 2,829,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GueroLoco View Post
Dude, you pretty much described Portland, Oregon to a T. Portland has:

-Lots of parks to walk in
-Some of the most progressive urban planning in the US
-Great coffee shops (and brewpubs)
-A good deal of privately owned, unique stores
-Lots of very walkable areas
-Excellent public transit, along with bike friendliness
-Extensive curbside recycling
-Lots of organic and/or health food options when shopping
-Even cold rain in the winter (maybe not quite as cold as Denmark)

Ive keep hearing that Portland has a very European feel to it (although I couldnt say, seeing as how Ive only been to London). You should really check out Portland if you havent already.
That's true, however, Portland has one of the highest jobless rates right now. You may find getting a job, difficult. The League of American Bicyclists rates the most bicycle-friendly cities of America, the #1 is Davis, CA (university town), followed by Portland and Eugene OR, Palo Alto CA. Among the worst ones are Orlando, FL and Pittsburgh, PA.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:31 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,731 times
As far as being liberal like Denmark, the only cities that fit the definition of liberal like that in America are SF and Portland

As far as topographically, Eastern North Carolina (both are flat and have a maritime flair)

Old 12-25-2009, 04:39 PM

845 posts, read 2,829,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm not really finding many towns in Florida listed as having a notable Danish minority. Although Janet Reno was of Danish ancestry and from Florida. The state apparently has over 50,000 Danes.

Nationally Iowa and Utah seem to have some small towns with large percentages of Danish-Americans. In Audubon, Iowa Danish is the largest ancestry listed.

//www.city-data.com/city/Audubon-Iowa.html

California, Utah, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Washington have the highest total number of Danish. I might guess parts of Wisconsin and Minnesota might have some similarities to Denmark. (Cool climate, relatively low crime, fair amount of left-leaners, plenty of alcohol) Wisconsin even has a town called "Denmark."

Danish American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Additionally Blair, Nebraska has "Dana", for Danish, college. The town is around 15% Danish.

//www.city-data.com/city/Blair-Nebraska.html

Of larger cities Racine, Wisconsin is said to have a high number of Danish-Americans. It might have too much violent crime to be like Denmark.

//www.city-data.com/city/Racine-Wisconsin.html
If you want to find Americans of Danish ancestry (several generations back, just go a Mormon church, anywhere in America (check the yellow pages). A large percentage of American Mormons have Danish ancestry.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 5,993 times
NEW YORK CITY!

No car needed - like Europe!

Old 12-26-2009, 03:27 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA_EUROPE View Post
NEW YORK CITY!

No car needed - like Europe!
I thought you were in Bergen County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.