Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 02:57 PM

180 posts, read 267,612 times

Advertisements

Have you actually been to the city of Atlanta? I'm just wondering, because Atlanta is often judged by it's suburbs and by popular misconceptions. The actual city is a far different place from the sprawling suburbs.

Are you necessarily wanting to live in a large city? I know that's where you'll find the most density and convenience, but cities like Asheville N.C., Savannah GA or Charleston S.C. might be an option.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 05:17 PM

59 posts, read 298,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1033 View Post
Well, I posted a couple months back looking for an art city. Thank you for your responses but my focus has changed now that I'm actually back in the US. I knew I would be required to leave my cherished home in Europe, the result of the dissolution of my marriage to a Scandinavian. Now I am back after 2 yrs in Denmark and miss the lifestyle so much I have a hole in my gut that just won't go away. I am temporarily stationed at my mother's house in Georgia while I search and it's hell. I tried to ride my bike to the grocery store that is 1 minute away and almost got ran over. I never realized how bad the driving was and throw a biker in there and it's like playing an arcade game with your life. There are no parks to walk in, no progressive urban planning, no good coffee shops, no privately owned unique stores, no walkable areas at all (I hate cars), nothing charming. My choices are Superwalmart, Olive Garden, Home Depot, etc (can someone please shoot me?) I miss being able to bike or bus everywhere safely, the recycling, the organic food...I even miss the cold rain. Of course things like universal health coverage don't exist in the US (nor paternity leave, or 6 wks vacation, or 4 months severance pay...or University education for every child..I can go on and on) so I know there is no real European substitute, but I will settle for anything that can come remotely close. I don't care about high taxes, high cost of living, bad weather...it will be worth it to me. The search goes on but I need to jump in and make a move, I just need your advice.
Im from Ã…rhus - Denmark, and I would imagine that you can find plenty of U.S cities that are a lot more fun to live in than here. The bicycle conditions in Denmark are the best in Europe and very hard to compete with, so you can forget about that.

I have always found the public transportation in Denmark to be rather lousy, and I dont see how the country has anything special to offer when it comes to organic food, parks and coffe shops.

I think Portland Oregon or Seattle would be my first choises.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM

48 posts, read 208,486 times
Mrs. Garrison, thanks for the advice about places to live. I've lived my first 25years in Georgia, 1.5 hours away from Atlanta so I've spent a lot of time there, went to school there, but never lived as a full time resident for more than a few months.

Wallaroo, I have lived in a lot of places for my job, NYC, Atlanta, San Fran, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, Colorado, Cleveland, DC, Virginia....none are even remotely comparable to Ã…rhus. If I would have been born a Dane I would never leave. You have the most perfect system I've seen. Come over here to America where you spend $100k for college, where the people who run childcare centers don't have to have any education, where surgery will bankrupt you even if you have insurance (half of the bankruptcies due to medical were people who had insurance). We have no policies for illegal immigration (although Arizona started one thank goodness)...well I love Denmark and I love the Danish mentality. You have balls over there, it may not be popular policy, but it solves the problems in real time. In America we are too busy being politically correct and not hurting feelings to be effective.

Last edited by jt1033; 10-01-2007 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 PM

48 posts, read 208,486 times
Sorry for the abrupt response, have very limited time on a computer since I don't have mine with me right now. To me the transportation (even with the strikes), food, coffee, and green areas were fantastic and people are actually out in them but I know there are wonderful places in the states. Thanks for the suggestions and I'm checking them out.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
I grew up in Madison, I lived in Minneapolis for 7 years, I lived in Seattle for 5 years, and I've been to Portland (Oregon) many times - none of these cities have a European feel to them what-so-ever! Seattle is by far the closest of the four. I am now in San Francisco and it is by far the most European city in the United States. Other cities that are right up there are Boston and D.C. If you miss the European vide, you will not get it in Madison, MPLS, Seattle or Portland. You will, however, get it in San Francisco.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
Quote:
Ok, now I'm getting scared. California is EVERYTHING I want to avoid. I really cannot think of anything more that is everything I'm not. Is this the way of Portland? Tell the truth.
Can you elaborate. San Francisco is definitely not your typical Californian or American city. If you haven't been here...I highly suggest you visit. I bet, if you did, your search would end.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 AM

59 posts, read 298,110 times
Quote:
Wallaroo, I have lived in a lot of places for my job, NYC, Atlanta, San Fran, Florida, Ohio, Alabama, Colorado, Cleveland, DC, Virginia....none are even remotely comparable to Ã…rhus. If I would have been born a Dane I would never leave. You have the most perfect system I've seen. Come over here to America where you spend $100k for college, where the people who run childcare centers don't have to have any education, where surgery will bankrupt you even if you have insurance (half of the bankruptcies due to medical were people who had insurance).
The Danish healthcare and education sytem is actually worse than in many other West-European countries I think, but it is free though.
Quote:
We have no policies for illegal immigration (although Arizona started one thank goodness)...well I love Denmark and I love the Danish mentality. You have balls over there, it may not be popular policy, but it solves the problems in real time. In America we are too busy being politically correct and not hurting feelings to be effective.
You are correct that the political correctness in Denmark has been on a major decline for the last 10 years. I think it all started with anti-immigration campains made by the largest tabloid newspaper (Ekstra Bladet) and the Danish Peoples Party. I guess Denmark is one of the last resorts for political incorrectness.

Heres an example of political incorectness from Danish national TV:
YouTube - Nazitübbies (episode2) Der Grosse Marsch

Old 10-05-2009, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 10,697 times
Default Hello. I just moved from SOLVANG "Danish Capital Of America" to SE Florida...Would like to converse about Solvang

Hello. I just moved from SOLVANG "Danish Capital Of America" to SE Florida...Would like to converse about Solvang...My email address is sunfloridasun@gmail.com...
I am looking for Danes in the area of North Broward County, for employment, for conversation, (my wife and I just moved from Solvang California and would like to get to know people here that are Danish...please help and locate some new Danish Friends for us...Thank you...email us at the above email address....TAK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodbyeCalifornia View Post
I realize that what you are most likely after is a larger city. However, the closest place to Denmark that I know of is a town called Solvang, CA. It was founded in 1911 by Danish-Americans from the Midwest. It was built to resemble a traditional Danish village as a way of promoting, preserving, and teaching about their Danish heritage.

The Santa Ynez Valley, in which it is located is quite a beautiful setting. It is also home to a thriving wine industry and one of the original Spanish founded missions is there as well. The towns surrounding Solvang are quaint and have unique restaurants, stores and art galleries. You are also only 30 minutes north of Santa Barbara.

I can understand that some might find Solvang cheesy, but it's not like you would have to live right in it. Any of the towns nearby would be great, especially Santa Barbara, and with the proximity to the ocean, the weather will be more temperate than other places. So, check the area out. You might find that it suits your requirements.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 10,697 times
Looking for Danes in the North Broward County area...pls write to our email address...sunfloridasun@gmail.com...TAK

Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I'm not really finding many towns in Florida listed as having a notable Danish minority. Although Janet Reno was of Danish ancestry and from Florida. The state apparently has over 50,000 Danes.

Nationally Iowa and Utah seem to have some small towns with large percentages of Danish-Americans. In Audubon, Iowa Danish is the largest ancestry listed.

//www.city-data.com/city/Audubon-Iowa.html

California, Utah, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Washington have the highest total number of Danish. I might guess parts of Wisconsin and Minnesota might have some similarities to Denmark. (Cool climate, relatively low crime, fair amount of left-leaners, plenty of alcohol) Wisconsin even has a town called "Denmark."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_American

Additionally Blair, Nebraska has "Dana", for Danish, college. The town is around 15% Danish.

//www.city-data.com/city/Blair-Nebraska.html

Of larger cities Racine, Wisconsin is said to have a high number of Danish-Americans. It might have too much violent crime to be like Denmark.

//www.city-data.com/city/Racine-Wisconsin.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.