Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Ah, the usual defenders of Seattles reputed weather. Look at the Seattle forum weather sticky (Most cities dont have a sticky thread for weather like the Seattle forum) and it is filled with all the same people defending Seattle's climate. I wonder how Seattle's weather got such a bad reputation? You guys sound exactly like the defensive Canadians who went to great lengths to convince me that the weather 'isnt that bad' before I moved there. Of course it was pretty poor.
Its no big deal. Some like it and some don't. We actually lived it, so we tell it like we see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 09:47 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Sounds terrible. Nice spring or fall weather, but I enjoy having an actual summertime. Tanned girls in shorts, the beach, cooling off with a dip in the pool. You guys must hate places like Hawaii and Miami Beach. I am guessing that you never take trips to sunny places with 'oppressive' temperatures in the 80's since upper 60's is perfect summer weather.
You have never even visited Seattle, but you make "competent" comments on the weather in the Northwest

Last edited by Botev1912; 05-26-2014 at 10:35 AM..

Old 05-26-2014, 11:03 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Not really. The difference is that here in Seattle when the average is 47 for January, you can expect it to be very near that day in day out. In other areas such as the Midwest or Northeast, you may have some areas where the average is in the upper 30's or low 40's, but you aren't often right at that- you will have a stretch in that range, a stretch maybe even a bit above that, then frequent stretches well, well below that- such as highs that don't even reach zero, or remain in the single digits and teens. And another thing to look at are the overnight lows- here in Seattle normal/average overnight lows never get below freezing-that cannot be said for many, many other areas in the Midwest or Northeast.
Evidence of our climate being more mild is the fact that we have many types of deciduous plants and trees that remain green all winter- grass remains green- and you can even have some types of flowers outside in the winter. That cannot be said for any of the northern areas back east. It is a brown, dead looking landscape back there in the winter when not covered by snow. I know because I spent most of my life in many areas back there.
Seattle isn't the entire Pacific Northwest last time I checked.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Seattle isn't the entire Pacific Northwest last time I checked.
no, but the weather is similar in the entire Pacific Northwest. Portland is even warmer in the summer.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
no, but the weather is similar in the entire Pacific Northwest. Portland is even warmer in the summer.
The weather east of the Cascade and Blue mountain ranges are totally different than the coastal area.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:20 PM

true, but they are not in the Pacific Northwest

Old 05-26-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
true, but they are not in the Pacific Northwest
Not in the Pacific Northwest? What are you talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest

Old 05-27-2014, 02:19 AM

3 posts, read 4,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Not in the Pacific Northwest? What are you talking about.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Northwest]Pacific Northwest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
From your link:
Quote:
Though no agreed boundary exists, a common conception includes the U.S. states of Oregon, Washington, and the Canadian province of British Columbia. Broader conceptions reach north into Alaska and Yukon, south into the coastal and mountainous regions of Northern California, and east into Idaho and western Montana, western Wyoming, and western Alberta, to the Continental Divide. Narrower conceptions may be limited to the Northwestern U.S. or to the coastal areas west of the Cascade and Coast mountains. The variety of definitions can be attributed to partially overlapping commonalities of the region's history, geography, society, and other factors.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:07 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I love the PNW, I've lived here many years, but I'm starting to question whether I want to leave.

The weather is vastly overrated. People have this delusion the weather is warm all the time. Not true! Winter is only a few degrees warmer than back east, and lasts just as long if not longer. I don't mind the cold itself but the dampness is terrible to a person's lungs. People seem sick here all the time. Summer is even worse with all the pollen, and it's hotter than you'd think. The traffic in Portland and Seattle is terrible and rivals Los Angeles and Shanghai. While Oregon and Washington are renowned for their forests roughly half of each state is comprised of ugly desert that is frozen for 8 months and bakes the rest of the year. Not only that but I don't think our scenery is superior to what you'd find in New England or the deep South, it's just different. The schools in the state suck aside from U of O and OSU and even they are only good if you wanna get into biology. The K-12 system is not as bad as California but pretty bad.

The culture is tacky as hell. Nobody cares about what they wear, you can go to the store in your pajamas. Which I guess is kinda cool in a way too but it just represents the half-assed nature of life here. Everyone seems to do either meth or weed and it's hard to find a person who's over 18 and not a senior citizen who doesn't have a tattoo. The positive side about people here though they do seem less religious and less materialistic than people from other parts of the continent.

Perhaps worst of all though is the economy. Especially in Oregon! If you want to work a crap job at Kmart or Whole Foods and smoke a lot of weed, the Northwest is where you wanna be but it's not a good place to get rich or start a family. Unless you work for Nike of course. The cost of living is expensive too. Basically we have Canada's economic situation - we make nothing and rely on extracting resources, in our case lumber, and a lot of people from abroad who already have money come in here and price out the locals.
Not a bad summary with some exaggeration. After having lived in Oregon and Washington, I think a lot of what you say applies more to Oregon than Washington. I say that Oregon is the more authentic while Washington is closer to the mainstream and has a much stronger economy than our southern neighbor...your Pacific NW stereotypes also apply to Washington, just not as much.

I suggest you try elsewhere and you will probably appreciate the uniqueness of the PNW more but also maybe you'll like it better elsewhere.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:11 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,029 times
Quote:
Ah, the usual defenders of Seattles reputed weather. Look at the Seattle forum weather sticky (Most cities dont have a sticky thread for weather like the Seattle forum) and it is filled with all the same people defending Seattle's climate. I wonder how Seattle's weather got such a bad reputation? You guys sound exactly like the defensive Canadians who went to great lengths to convince me that the weather 'isnt that bad' before I moved there. Of course it was pretty poor.
I actually prefer a sunny snowy winter where stuff dies over a lukewarm, rank moldy dark winter. I don't think you can grow flowers here in November, December and January - I don't see any blooming typically until February.

Portland and Seattle also commonly get stretches where it's dry and cold and in the 20s-30s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.