Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live?
New York City 9 10.98%
Los Angeles 2 2.44%
Chicago 4 4.88%
Washington DC 1 1.22%
San Francisco 7 8.54%
Boston 3 3.66%
Philadelphia 2 2.44%
Dallas 0 0%
Miami 2 2.44%
Houston 0 0%
Atlanta 4 4.88%
Detroit 0 0%
Seattle 7 8.54%
Phoenix 4 4.88%
Minneapolis 3 3.66%
Cleveland 1 1.22%
Denver 3 3.66%
San Diego 3 3.66%
Portland 1 1.22%
Orlando 0 0%
St Louis 2 2.44%
Tampa 0 0%
Pittsburgh 1 1.22%
Sacramento 0 0%
Charlotte 1 1.22%
Another place 22 26.83%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:50 PM

150 posts, read 382,051 times

Advertisements

If you could live wherever you want if you had the means to do it, where would you live?

Your ideal city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
I have no idea, to be honest. It seems like every place has an equal amount of pros and cons. I feel like if I actually did move somewhere, I would end up comparing it to other places and think, "geez....maybe I should have moved there instead." I have lived in the Hartford area most of my life, and lived in NYC for two years. Now I'm living in Fairfield County, CT, which is in between NYC and Hartford, but closer to NYC. I don't really like it, to be honest, but my job here is great, and it's only a 90 min drive from my family.

However, the areas that I have considered moving to would be South Florida or Phoenix, AZ. I have been to both places and like both, but found issues with them. Phoenix, for example, is very generic and boring, and the summers are way too hot. South FL is just a big, flat urban sprawl with no real natural outdoor space, which would drive me crazy. And the summers are brutal.

I also almost moved to San Diego, but having the same weather all year round seems like it would get boring.

Plus, since my family is in CT, and I would probably only have a few weeks per year of vacation time, it would really suck to have to waste my vacation days traveling to visit family. That sounds bad, but hey, I'd like to be able to take real vacations, too, lol.

So, ultimately, I stayed here in the Northeast. At least it has lots of variety with seasons, urban/rural areas, diversity and beautiful scenery in the summer time.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:13 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
I'd have to agree with the poster above me. I wouldn't know. I haven't really gotten to travel within the US very much so the only cities I feel I have enough knowledge to say if it is "ideal" for me are Los Angeles, San Diego, and New Orleans. Out of those three, I would pick New Orleans, but I could not say it is ideal because I'd rather live somewhere colder.

My ideal place would be a big affordable city that has four seasons, is on the West side of the country, and is not too far from Phoenix so if I needed warmth or an escape, I could easily get it. The only place that I could think that would fit this is Denver, which is about a ten to twelve hour drive from Phoenix (I love road trips so I wouldn't mind making this), and I don't even know if Denver is all that affordable or "big". Big meaning it actually feels like a city, not suburbia. I can't say it's ideal if I've never been there.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I'd have to agree with the poster above me. I wouldn't know. I haven't really gotten to travel within the US very much so the only cities I feel I have enough knowledge to say if it is "ideal" for me are Los Angeles, San Diego, and New Orleans. Out of those three, I would pick New Orleans, but I could not say it is ideal because I'd rather live somewhere colder.

My ideal place would be a big affordable city that has four seasons, is on the West side of the country, and is not too far from Phoenix so if I needed warmth or an escape, I could easily get it. The only place that I could think that would fit this is Denver, which is about a ten to twelve hour drive from Phoenix (I love road trips so I wouldn't mind making this), and I don't even know if Denver is all that affordable or "big". Big meaning it actually feels like a city, not suburbia. I can't say it's ideal if I've never been there.
I have been to Denver. I almost moved there back in 2012, coming from Hartford, CT. I mean, it was nice, but after being there for one day, I couldn't imagine living there. It's so isolated and most of it feels like suburbia, except for the downtown business district. Also, in the winter it looks remarkably brown. And I definitely didn't like the liberal/hippie atmosphere. Not that I'm conservative, but the hippie style was quite rampant. Lots of homeless people, too. And now, lots of pot heads. No thanks.

Most of the Denver metro area is generic, cookie-cut out housing, from what I saw. The nearby mountains are nice, but they get crowded with too many people hiking.

Denver also feels somewhat like a cow town mixed with hipsters, to be honest. People like to wear boots, flannel shirts, etc. I didn't really like it, although the people were friendly. It was a culture shock, coming from Connecticut.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:00 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Well since the OP said wherever I want, I'll take an ocean view house in the hills above the Maui coast with some acreage. Pros and Con's sure, but it's Maui so I'm sure I can get over the cons on most days.

If I had to choose a city on the poll I'd pick Phoenix, specifically North Scottsdale. Desert sunshine and I get along very well, especially this time of year. The area has everything I could really need and Arizona has kicking ass fantastic scenery. That and I could always vacation in more eclectic cities like New Orleans, Seattle, or Boston.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-09-2014 at 08:47 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,095 times
I love Cleveland, but if money were no object, I would have to say NYC. That city is just unsurpassed in the US in every aspect.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:12 PM

312 posts, read 494,145 times
I can't decide between New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco :/

Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Salt Lake City

Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
Australia

Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Australia
Possibly this. Voted San Diego though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.