Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:33 PM

104 posts, read 339,057 times

Advertisements

I've had a fun time reading through all of these threads which are focused on bashing/praising certain areas for having the rudest or friendliest people and I'm curious...what is your definition of nice? Would you consider yourself nice? It's so easy for us to judge others but how often do you:

Say hello
Wave at your neighbors
Say thank you or excuse me
Give people the benefit of the doubt
Offer to help strangers with directions or hold the door open
Make your children apologize for running into a stranger/talking back to an adult
Cleaning up after your dog
Not mowing your yard or making a ton of noise before 9 am or after 10 pm

These are just a few examples that were instilled in me from my parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 01:22 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,393,007 times
You could do all of those things and be a completely horrible not nice person. Those things make someone a good neighbor, but not necessarily nice.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:26 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markey View Post
I've had a fun time reading through all of these threads which are focused on bashing/praising certain areas for having the rudest or friendliest people and I'm curious...what is your definition of nice? Would you consider yourself nice? It's so easy for us to judge others but how often do you:

Say hello
Wave at your neighbors
Say thank you or excuse me
Give people the benefit of the doubt
Offer to help strangers with directions or hold the door open
Make your children apologize for running into a stranger/talking back to an adult
Cleaning up after your dog
Not mowing your yard or making a ton of noise before 9 am or after 10 pm

These are just a few examples that were instilled in me from my parents.
Yaaah, that's what they say about all those psycho mass murderers!

"He was so NICE!!!!! He always said hello and waved and cleaned up after the dog!"

I don't care if people plaster a Ned Flanders smile on their faces 24/7, as long as they're law abiding and sane!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,031,505 times
Nice = not a native of NYC

But seriously, I define nice as being sort of a state of mind. A pleasant, kindhearted state of mind.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
this is a good post. its a fair question.
this has to do with unwritten rules. morees traditions customs
we got rid of all that in the 60's. many people do unkind things and
really dont realize it. most feel if they dont get stuffed in the back of
a black and white, its ok.
there is lots and lots of confusion on this subject.
out here, everything is one long continued river of misunderstandings.
an army of counselors, cops, 12 step programs, and lawyers help us sort thru it.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:08 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,502,395 times
It's so easy for us to judge others but how often do you:

Say hello - Only to people I know well.

Wave at your neighbors - Yes.

Say thank you or excuse me - Yes.

Give people the benefit of the doubt - Depends.

Offer to help strangers with directions or hold the door open - Depends.

Make your children apologize for running into a stranger/talking back to an adult - I don't have children.

Cleaning up after your dog - Yes.

Not mowing your yard or making a ton of noise before 9 am or after 10 pm -I mow it every weekend if it needs it. In the morning, I watch ESPN. At night, I go to the city, hang out with friends, work, or watch sports. Not really much noise.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:05 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
Say hello- often

Wave at your neighbors- when I see them
Say thank you or excuse me-all the time
Give people the benefit of the doubt- to a fault
Offer to help strangers with directions or hold the door open- often
Make your children apologize for running into a stranger/talking back to an adult-every time
Cleaning up after your dog- my dogs don't do their buisness anywhere but the back yard
Not mowing your yard or making a ton of noise before 9 am or after 10 pm- yard is cut when needed or when weather isn't horrible, no noise after those hours, we even put the dogs in the kitchen at night

Old 11-26-2007, 06:23 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,954,632 times
This thread is becoming more interesting than I would have guessed at first glance. It IS intriguing to see the differences... although I'm not sure if this is what makes people nice.

Here's my answers:

Say hello- just about everyone you meet, including strangers if they happen to walk in front of you. The only time you wouldn't say "hello" is if you said "good morning" or "good evening" instead. EVERYONE in my neighborhood is like this--they wave to and greet every single person, even complete strangers--it freaked me out at first when we moved here. After a few days I absolutely loved it and think everyone should behave this way.

Wave at your neighbors- Whenever I see them--if you don't wave, after a few days people around here get worried.

Say thank you or excuse me-all the time

Give people the benefit of the doubt- ummm, maybe I'm not such a nice person after all. If you have a history of wronging me, or someone I know, or someone I read about in the newspaper I have a hard time giving the benefit of the doubt.

Offer to help strangers with directions or hold the door open- almost always unless I get a sense that something is fishy or dangerous.

Make your children apologize for running into a stranger/talking back to an adult-every time. I think learning the art of how to say "I'm sorry" will help your children succeed, and is something more people should learn.

Cleaning up after your dog- Always!!!! I care deeply about the environment and health issues.

Not mowing your yard or making a ton of noise before 9 am or after 10 pm-Always!

Here are a few more I would suggest:

When you see someone signalling and trying to get into your lane, do you let him in?

Do you park inside the stripes of a parking space, or deliberately take up two spaces?

Do you talk loudly on a cell phone in crowded, public spaces (a subway, for example)?

If someone tells you a juicy piece of gossip, do you keep your mouth shut about it?

Old 11-26-2007, 10:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I once had a husband who had all sorts of rules like that and he was an awful person to live with! Mean, sarcastic, etc. Most people probably thought he was a good neighbor.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
Say hello- Not to strangers....only to people that I know

Wave at your neighbors- We dont wave....their door is a couple of steps to your right or left (apartment building)

Say thank you or excuse me- I say this alot

Give people the benefit of the doubt- Ummm at times

Offer to help strangers with directions or hold the door open- Sometimes

Make your children apologize for running into a stranger/talking back to an adult- Dont have any!

Cleaning up after your dog- No dog!

Not mowing your yard or making a ton of noise before 9 am or after 10 pm- No lawn, grass, backyard......this is the ghetto for christ's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.